• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shahadah

Satnaam

Conquer your mind
Where is the Shahadah taken from (what book)?

Is it mentioned in the Quran that one has to recite the Shahada to become a Muslim? Or the Hadiths?

Union

Is it mentioned in the Quran that one has to recite the Shahada to become a Muslim? Or the Hadiths?

Qur'an doesn't mention that somebody has to recite Shahada but Hadith reports that . According to the Qur'an Shahada is a matter of belief in heart nothing to do with tongue .

Also Shahada in Qur'an differs from Shahda in Hadith .

'La Ilaha Illa ALLAH' is Shahada of Qur'an [Ref. Q3.18 ]
'La Ilaha Illa ALLAH Muhammadur RasulALLAH' is Shahada of Hadith [Ref.Bukhari 1.7]

Interesting to note that hadith also extend the sentence of Shahada by adding Jesus , paradise and hell in it . Please read it from following Ahadith :

Narrated 'Ubada: The Prophet said, "If anyone testifies that None has the right to be worshipped but Allah Alone Who has no partners, and that Muhammad is His Slave and His Apostle, and that Jesus is Allah's Slave and His Apostle and His Word which He bestowed on Mary and a Spirit from Him, and that Paradise is true, and Hell is true, Allah will admit him into Paradise with the deeds which he had done even if those deeds were few." (Junada, the sub-narrator said, " 'Ubada added, 'Such a person can enter Paradise through any of its eight gates he likes.") (Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 55/644)

It is narrated on the authority of Ubadah b. Samit that the messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) observed: he who said : "There is no god but Allah, He is One and there is no associate with Him, that Muhammad is his servant and His messenger, that Christ is servant and the son of His slave-girl and he (Christ) His word which He communicated to Mary and is His Spirit, that Paradise is a fact and Hell is a fact," Allah would make him (he who affirms these truths enter Paradise through any one of its eight doors which he would like. (Sahih Muslim, Book 1/43)

Hope you will find them helpful in your endeavor for knowing Islam .

F0uad

Qur'an doesn't mention that somebody has to recite Shahada but Hadith reports that . According to the Qur'an Shahada is a matter of belief in heart nothing to do with tongue .

Also Shahada in Qur'an differs from Shahda in Hadith .

'La Ilaha Illa ALLAH' is Shahada of Qur'an [Ref. Q3.18 ]
'La Ilaha Illa ALLAH Muhammadur RasulALLAH' is Shahada of Hadith [Ref.Bukhari 1.7]

Interesting to note that hadith also extend the sentence of Shahada by adding Jesus , paradise and hell in it . Please read it from following Ahadith :

Narrated 'Ubada: The Prophet said, "If anyone testifies that None has the right to be worshipped but Allah Alone Who has no partners, and that Muhammad is His Slave and His Apostle, and that Jesus is Allah's Slave and His Apostle and His Word which He bestowed on Mary and a Spirit from Him, and that Paradise is true, and Hell is true, Allah will admit him into Paradise with the deeds which he had done even if those deeds were few." (Junada, the sub-narrator said, " 'Ubada added, 'Such a person can enter Paradise through any of its eight gates he likes.") (Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 55/644)

It is narrated on the authority of Ubadah b. Samit that the messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) observed: he who said : "There is no god but Allah, He is One and there is no associate with Him, that Muhammad is his servant and His messenger, that Christ is servant and the son of His slave-girl and he (Christ) His word which He communicated to Mary and is His Spirit, that Paradise is a fact and Hell is a fact," Allah would make him (he who affirms these truths enter Paradise through any one of its eight doors which he would like. (Sahih Muslim, Book 1/43)

Hope you will find them helpful in your endeavor for knowing Islam .

O wow you used Hadiths, i though you condemned them.. Double Standards or have you seen the light? :D

Satnaam

Conquer your mind
Do all sects in Islam have the same Shahadah (the one which you quoted, from the Bukhari Hadith).

Secondly, what is the most used Shahada in the Hadiths? The current one or the one which has mention of Jesus, hell etc aswell?

Thanks.

Rational_Mind

Ahmadi Muslim
Do all sects in Islam have the same Shahadah (the one which you quoted, from the Bukhari Hadith).

Secondly, what is the most used Shahada in the Hadiths? The current one or the one which has mention of Jesus, hell etc aswell?

Thanks.

Generally speaking Shahada is understood by most Muslims as:
-There is none worthy of worship except Allah and Muhammad is his messenger.

Among Muslims some variations are as follows:
-There is none worthy of worship except Allah

Some Muslims believe that mentioning of the name of Holy Prophet (saw) is an association with Allah (swt) in a form of Shirk. From my understanding it is also due to the fact that few Muslims groups have gone on extremes praising Holy Prophet (saw) to near Godhood, such as on occasions of Eid Milad-un-Nabi. In a response it has driven Muslims away from the real reason why why Holy Prophet (saw) is mentioned in the Shahada.

-There is none worthy of worship except Allah and Muhammad is his messenger and Ali is the Wali of Allah

Among Shia schools of thought, some have added to the end "Ali is the Wali of Allah". It is out of their love for Hazrat Ali (ra) as they believe he was the only rightful successor after the passing of Holy Prophet (saw). Again, I would disagree as my views are contrary to it.

Satnaam

Conquer your mind
To be honest, what the schools add or feel is not important. What the Quran or Hadiths say should be essential in forming a view of Islam.

What are the variations mentioned in the Quran and Hadiths? According to the first poster, Shahada without Muhammad reference is in the Quran while Hadiths have the same with Muhammad, Jesus and other things like heaven hell.

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
From Safinat Al-Naja, the Ship of Salvation,

Section: The Integrals of
Islām
are

Five:

To bear witness that there is no god except Allah and that
Mu
ḥ
ammad



is the messenger of Allah.

To establish
ṣ
alāh

To discharge
zakāh

To fast in the month of
Rama
ḍ
ān

To perform
ḥ
ajj

for those who
are
able.

Islam and Iman

The Integrals of Īmā
n

Section: The Integrals of Ī
m
ā
n (Faith) are Six:

To believe in Allah.

To believe in His Angels.

To believe in His Books.

Islam and Iman

To believe in His Messengers.

To believe in the Final Day.

To believe in Destiny,
good and evil, is from Allah the
Exalted.

http://www.shafiifiqh.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/safinat-al-naja.pdf

Alulu

The Quran does not mention literally "if you convert to Islam recite [insert]".
Becoming a Muslim is not limited to merely reciting the shahada (testification of faith). Becoming a Muslim is one step prior to reciting it and happens the moment someone sincerely beliefs in his heart that Islam is the truth. You do not even need witnesses for that since faith is first and foremost according to Islam something between an individual and his Creator. However, reciting or "speaking it loud" does have a very important place in orthodoxy. And that is based on the fact that reciting (the shahada for example) with sincere personal conviction (tasdiq) removes any doubt and is an clarification and more importantly affirmation (of faith) whereas from a practical and wider communal point of view it is important to let others (and fellow Muslims) know your part of their religious community now. And thats why many convictions are also spoken or recited, to remove any doubt, affirm your conviction and clarify it. The same goes for the act of marriage, your intention to pray (just before you start praying) and other important happenings. The act of marriage is also important to let the wider community know (originally through a walima) that from now of on you and your partner are married and belong to each other. The same goes for the shahada. And thats why when you take a look at many of the traditions (ahadith) you will find that the people who embraced Islam uttered/confirmed the shahada in presence of the prophet (saws) as an affirmation of their newfound faith.

"La ilaha illalah" (there is no god but God) could be uttered by jews and Christians without any problem as well.... "mohamadan rasoulallah" makes it clear that we're talking about believers who have chosen Islam as their religion and try to live their life according to the Quran. According to my knowledge the shahada does come back in different authentic traditions (ahadith).

Last edited:

Union

O wow you used Hadiths, i though you condemned them.. Double Standards or have you seen the light? :D

Did you read my post attentively ? I didn't use the Hadith rather showing Satnam what is in Hadith about Shahada . Qur'an clearly mentioned Shahada in 3.18 , hence no necessity of looking into it again in Hadith .

[3:18] GOD bears witness that there is no god except He, and so do the angels and those who possess knowledge. Truthfully and equitably, He is the absolute god; there is no god but He, the Almighty, Most Wise.

'La Ilaha Illa ALLAH' is the Shahada of :

01- ALLAH (swt)
02- All angels
03- All men of knowledge .

Hence any other Shahada apart from that mentioned in Qur'an is not Shahada of ALLAH (swt) , HIS angels and all men of knowledge .

Now there is a catch for you on who invented the Shahada of Hadith that I mentioned with reference in my first post . May ALLAH , the All-knowing this time open your mind to pursue the truth :shout

F0uad

Did you read my post attentively ? I didn't use the Hadith rather showing Satnam what is in Hadith about Shahada . Qur'an clearly mentioned Shahada in 3.18 , hence no necessity of looking into it again in Hadith .

[3:18] GOD bears witness that there is no god except He, and so do the angels and those who possess knowledge. Truthfully and equitably, He is the absolute god; there is no god but He, the Almighty, Most Wise.

'La Ilaha Illa ALLAH' is the Shahada of :

01- ALLAH (swt)
02- All angels
03- All men of knowledge .

Hence any other Shahada apart from that mentioned in Qur'an is not Shahada of ALLAH (swt) , HIS angels and all men of knowledge .

Now there is a catch for you on who invented the Shahada of Hadith that I mentioned with reference in my first post . May ALLAH , the All-knowing this time open your mind to pursue the truth :shout
Wait what? I don't understand your question..