1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shadow people

Discussion in 'Paranormal Activities' started by David1967, Jul 14, 2018.

1. David1967

David1967 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,517
    Religion:
    Christian
    I am watching a documentary on Netflix called 'Nightmare'. One of the things discussed is 'sleep paralysis' and seeing dark figures in their bedroom called "shadow people". Anyone have an opinion or experience regarding these "shadow people". And could this be the basis of a lot of the alien abduction stories that abound?

2. Hubert Farnsworth

Hubert Farnsworth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,860
    Religion:
    De Facto Atheist - technically Agnostic
    I've had sleep paralysis a few times when I was a kid. It's basically when your brain wakes up before the rest of your body, and so you are mentally awake, but physically you can't move. It's scary, and it feels like you can't breathe even though you can. Apparently it's physically harmless though. I've also read that some people use "sleep paralysis" to begin lucid dreaming.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Flame

Flame Heretic Astartes

Ratings:
    +992
    Religion:
    Something or Other
    I had a few experiences with shadow people when I was still living in New Jersey. Most of them were quick human shaped shadows in a doorway/hallway that would vanish when I turned to look at it. One was that stood out was when I first moved into my house here in South Dakota. It was fairly late at night and I watching TV when I notice a black figure of an upper chest, shoulders and head peaking out of my bathroom door. I thought it might have been a break-in so I stood up to call the trespasser out but it vanished back into the bathroom. I shined a flashlight into the bathroom to see no one in sight.

After that experience I've haven't seen any kind of shadow people around my house or property. I'm fairly certain that experience was due to the lack of sleep and smoking quite a bit of the herb but was still pretty chilling.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Augustus

Augustus the Unreasonable

Ratings:
    +8,351
    Religion:
    none
    I've had sleep paralysis before when I was a kid too.

Didn't see any aliens, but you can get hallucinations/delusions that seem very real so it wouldn't surprise me if people did.

I felt like I was pinned down and being crushed by my blankets and it was terrifying, woke up screaming for my mum :baby:

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. David1967

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,517
    Religion:
    Christian
    I have had "Lucid dreams" many times as in I knew I was dreaming. Interesting feeling.

6. Augustus

Ratings:
    +8,351
    Religion:
    none
    Actually come to think of it, the yokels who get anal probed are being pinned down too.

I saw a programme about it before and apparently people from different cultures have different common experiences. In America aliens are common where in other places it's supernatural creatures from folklore, etc.

7. Rival

Rival Noachide
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,370
    Religion:
    בת נח
    So mine could technically be my crush pinning me down and making sweet love to me?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,115
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    Two different things.
    Sleep paralysis is a well known neurological phenomenon. "Shadow people" are a different matter, not usually connected with either sleep or sleep paralysis.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Augustus

Ratings:
    +8,351
    Religion:
    none
    Particularly if your crush is an alien making sweet love using an anal probe... :alien:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Reaper

Reaper Ave Satanas

Ratings:
    +77
    Religion:
    TST Satanist/Animist
    I used to see "shadow people", however it had nothing to do with sleep paralysis and everything to do with untreated mental issues.
    Now I take meds and have no issue.

11. 74x12

74x12 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +690
    Religion:
    Itiswhatitis
    They are demons. The secular world thinks because they can slap a name on something that makes it a mental condition and not paranormal. So they call it "sleep paralysis" and tell people it's just a condition. But they have no real explanation.

12. David1967

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,517
    Religion:
    Christian
    I have heard that. In the documentary one of the individuals has that opinion as well. I'm in the IDK category but I'm listening (or reading).;)

13. beenherebeforeagain

beenherebeforeagain Rogue Animist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,031
    Religion:
    Modern Animist
    Over the years, I've seen a number of such phenomena. So have a number of relatives and friends (Hey, maybe we're all crazy together;)). But almost none of the cases have to do with sleep...almost all my cases have occurred while wide awake and doing things, and I don't recall anyone else talking about their experiences being related to sleep either.

Nor are all alien abduction cases related to sleep paralysis, dreams, or nightmares...nor indeed, to mental illness.

Doesn't mean that the experiences aren't "internal" to the experiencer rather than external, but the origin of the experience may only rarely related to sleep, dreams and sleep paralysis.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. shunyadragon

shunyadragon Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,070
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Delusion of illusions. Something substantial is need to justify this further.

Personally I have not experienced any of the above.

15. CruzNichaphor

CruzNichaphor Active Member

Ratings:
    +74
    People who have experienced severe sleep deprivation on hard stimulants will often refer to "shadow people" in their presence.

Don't think it has anything to do with otherworldly beings - just your brain screwing around.

16. Hubert Farnsworth

Ratings:
    +1,860
    Religion:
    There is an element of delusion during sleep paralysis for sure. Even when I had it after I knew what it was and that it is harmless, it still freaked me out.

17. Hubert Farnsworth

Ratings:
    +1,860
    Religion:
    LOL. Why is it that every alien abduction story involves anal probes?

18. Hubert Farnsworth

Ratings:
    +1,860
    Religion:
    I've had those dreams as well. They usually began in a way where I lay in bed and then felt like I rolled out of my bed and walked around, even though I was asleep. This is similar to what some people would call "astral projection" but of course they were just dreams and nothing more.

19. David1967

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,517
    Religion:
    Christian
    I would sincerely love to know more. PM me if you want.

• Like Like x 1
  20. George-ananda

George-ananda Advaita Vedanta and Spiritualist and Pantheist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,814
    Religion:
    Advaita and Spiritualist and Pantheist
    Never had the experience but I have come to believe that shadow people are a real paranormal thing. Maybe a two-dimensional manifest requires drawing less energy.
    I think aliens are extra-dimensional too but usually something different than shadow people.