• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SF council proposed CAREN Act to outlaw discriminatory 911 calls

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
https://www.newsweek.com/caren-act-...make-discriminatory-911-calls-illegal-1516228

A San Francisco lawmaker is proposing legislation that would make "racially exploitative" calls to 911 illegal in the wake of repeated cases of white people calling police on Black people for participating in normal activities.

San Francisco Supervisor Shamann Walton introduced the proposed ordinance on Tuesday, dubbing it the "Caution Against Racially Exploitative Non-Emergencies" Act, or the CAREN Act.

The ordinance's acronym, CAREN, appears to be a nod to the name "Karen," which has become a moniker for white women who call police on Black people for no justifiable reason.

Generally, he said: "The CAREN Act will make it unlawful for an individual to contact law enforcement solely to discriminate on the basis of a person's race, ethnicity, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, or gender identity."

The proposed legislation comes as Amy Cooper, a white woman who called 911 on Christian Cooper, a Black birdwatcher, after he asked her to put her dog on a leash in Central Park, faces charges for filing a false police report.

I've been learning more about the usage of the name "Karen" to describe a certain personality type. They apparently are the kind who always want to speak to the manager and have a case of "do you know who I am" (or "do you know my husband is"). Some have said that "Karens" can be of any race, and there can even be male "Karens," too. Based on this perception, I can say that I've encountered a good many "Karens" in my life.

San Francisco Supervisor Shamann Walton introduced the proposed ordinance on Tuesday, dubbing it the "Caution Against Racially Exploitative Non-Emergencies" Act, or the CAREN Act.

The ordinance's acronym, CAREN, appears to be a nod to the name "Karen,"

I really hate backronyms ridiculously contrived to fit the zeitgeist. That's even worse than the Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act.

If I were king I'd ban them with the Bacronyms Are Stupid, Terrible And Really Dumb Act

exchemist

Veteran Member
The other thing about this proposal is that it is unnecessary legislation, proposed for the purpose of political grandstanding.

I feel sure there is already legislation on the books allowing people to be prosecuted for wasting police time, just as there is in the UK. All that is needed, surely, is for police forces to receive a directive to use that provision, in cases like these.

Don't clog up the statute book with "gesture legislation" that duplicates what is already in place. Just enforce the laws you've got.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Anyone who is named Karen or who has a friend named Karen would find this very problematical, at best. I'm preferring adult cry-babies but am open to other memes.

Apparently the name Karen has become less and less popular in recent times.

upload_2020-7-8_8-20-37.png

Karen: baby name popularity statistics | Everything Birthday

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It wasn't already illegal to call 911 for bogus issues?
Some real calls that are just the tip of the iceberg....
- Can't remember phone password.
- Squirrel sitting on telephone pole.
- Wishing the 911 operator a merry Xmas.
- Arguing that crystal meth is legal.
- McDonald's triple thick milk shake wasn't thick.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What San Francisco did is great.
This use of "Karen," however, is bull**** and really a form of bullying against Karens amd those who know one who get to hear Karen became such a negative thing.
**** liberals and liberal hypocrisy. (Or, lets start using Ahmed to refer to a stereotyped image of a Middle Eastern Muslim who is very conservative and turns a blind eye or may even excuse or justify extremist. Liberals wouldn't let that one go very far or live very long, and suddenly we'd see #StopAhmedMisusage.)
I can think of some other common epithets based upon names....
Hadji or Haji
Bubba
Hymie
Bad idea for SF to buy into this practice.

Tambourine

What San Francisco did is great.
This use of "Karen," however, is bull**** and really a form of bullying against Karens amd those who know one who get to hear Karen became such a negative thing.
**** liberals and liberal hypocrisy. (Or, lets start using Ahmed to refer to a stereotyped image of a Middle Eastern Muslim who is very conservative and turns a blind eye or may even excuse or justify extremist. Liberals wouldn't let that one go very far or live very long, and suddenly we'd see #StopAhmedMisusage.)
As far as I have found out, the usage of the name to denote entitled White women actually comes from the Black community, and had little to do with "liberals" or "liberal hypocrisy" in that context.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...kes-arent-sexist-or-racist-let-karen-explain/

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
As far as I have found out, the usage of the name to denote entitled White women actually comes from the Black community, and had little to do with "liberals" or "liberal hypocrisy" in that context.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...kes-arent-sexist-or-racist-let-karen-explain/
It is very hypocritical of them. I've been we left "sticks and stones in the 20th century," by a Liberal. Taking someone's name and dragging it through the mud, as a stereotype, is simething liberals claim to be against. Real Karens and people who know them, they don't like the meme. It's basically the liberal version of a blonde joke.

Tambourine

It is very hypocritical of them. I've been we left "sticks and stones in the 20th century," by a Liberal. Taking someone's name and dragging it through the mud, as a stereotype, is simething liberals claim to be against. Real Karens and people who know them, they don't like the meme. It's basically the liberal version of a blonde joke.
Do you think the author of the article I linked to is a fake Karen?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I can think of some other common epithets based upon names....
Hadji or Haji
Bubba
Hymie
Bad idea for SF to buy into this practice.
It amazing how Liberals so often fail to see their hypocrisy, among many other behaviors, in a manner similar to Fundamentalist Evangelicals.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Sad part of the whole thing is that it's going to discourage people from using 911 even more.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It amazing how Liberals so often fail to see their hypocrisy, among many other behaviors, in a manner similar to Fundamentalist Evangelicals.
I guess they're OK with derisively calling people
"Karen", "Hymie", "Bubba", "Hadji", & "Achmed".

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
https://www.newsweek.com/caren-act-...make-discriminatory-911-calls-illegal-1516228

I've been learning more about the usage of the name "Karen" to describe a certain personality type. They apparently are the kind who always want to speak to the manager and have a case of "do you know who I am" (or "do you know my husband is"). Some have said that "Karens" can be of any race, and there can even be male "Karens," too. Based on this perception, I can say that I've encountered a good many "Karens" in my life.

So, the person who came up with that backronym apparently decided to use a discriminatory name against anyone called "Karen" for... an anti-discrimination act.

Did weed get legalized in San Francisco, by any chance? This seems like the product of a particularly bad trip.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No doubt it was a squirrel of colour. When was the last time you heard of someone complaining about a white squirrel loitering on a pole?
The article didn't give the color of the squirrel.
But to be clear, if people are making false complaints,
shouldn't all such complaints be illegal?