• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sexuality in Shakespeare's Twelfth Night

Zephyr

Moved on
Hey all, so I'm writing an essay on Shakespeare's play Twelfth Night focusing on the themes of sexuality and gender-bending, and I figure a little extra input from people familiar with his works couldn't hurt. Here's a few things I've been focusing on currently:

Orsino and Viola/Cesario - They hook up almost immediately when it is revealed that "Cesario" is actually a woman. Now that just doesn't happen unless Orsino liked her all along.

Viola/Cesario and Olivia - Olivia's attempted seduction of "Cesario", unaware that "he" was really Viola in disguise. Not as strong a point as the first, but I suppose it's worth mentioning.

Antionio and Sebastian - Come on, something HAS to be going on here.

This is what I've got so far. Anything more would be helpful. I'm not limited to just the play either. If anybody has any other leads from his other plays or poetry, I could use some references to check out.

Thanks in advance all.