• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sexual violence, masculinity, and where these are rooted

You’re not a TruthSeeker are you? You try to shut down others who have thoughts different than yours. I’ve been respectful, have asked questions, and invited a discussion. You come back with assumptions about me and my motives. It’s pathetic really.
I'm not shutting anything down, I just told you to go discuss with other people and why and this is really the last time I'm going to repeat. I'm not interested in blanket statements like "masculinity is not a contributor to violence." That's just a claim. I'm not going to listen to claims, they're made by people who already have their minds made up and aren't open minded at all. We're not even starting this from the same premise, therefore there is no point discussing with you. You're not even interested in discussing possible values that masculinity includes, for one thing.
Another claim: "men are being emasculated. This is reality." <<<All you're doing is making claims.
I already made my thoughts on chivalry known in the discussion where I said I can open my own car door on a date and why, thank you very much.
So, no discussion.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I'm not shutting anything down, I just told you to go discuss with other people and why and this is really the last time I'm going to repeat. I'm not interested in blanket statements like "masculinity is not a contributor to violence." That's just a claim. I'm not going to listen to claims, they're made by people who already have their minds made up and aren't open minded at all. We're not even starting this from the same premise, therefore there is no point discussing with you. You're not even interested in discussing possible values that masculinity includes, for one thing.
Another claim: "men are being emasculated. This is reality." <<<All you're doing is making claims.
I already made my thoughts on chivalry known in the discussion where I said I can open my own car door on a date and why, thank you very much.
So, no discussion.
What’s your definition of “masculinity”?

What’s your definition of “masculinity”?
Why is the discussion being turned around on to a woman? Have I not been clear enough that I'm interested in how men define themselves, or their experiences, or definitions of masculinity? I'm not a man - I can't answer to that. This is why this topic has been posted in the men's issues forum. As for what I value in men, I can tell you that. I don't have any one definition for masculinity though, for the reason that I'm not a man.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Why is the discussion being turned around on to a woman? Have I not been clear enough that I'm interested in how men define themselves, or their experiences, or definitions of masculinity? I'm not a man - I can't answer to that. This is why this topic has been posted in the men's issues forum. As for what I value in men, I can tell you that. I don't have any one definition for masculinity though, for the reason that I'm not a man.
Your responses are bizarre. You don’t have a definition because you’re not a man? I’m not turning anything around on you. I thought you providing a definition would provide a starting point for us to compare, contrast and discuss our views.

Your responses are bizarre. You don’t have a definition because you’re not a man? I’m not turning anything around on you. I thought you providing a definition would provide a starting point for us to compare, contrast and discuss our views.
Why is that bizarre? If one doesn't identify as a man, it kind of goes without saying that I don't have a straightforward definition for masculinity. I also don't have a straightforward one for femininity. I tend to think that one should not box people into what they consider to be masculine or feminine in terms of ideals, but one should just let people be themselves. (You can therefore draw your own conclusions regarding what I think of the "men are being emasculated" claim). I have values that I admire in people, men and women alike, and they don't necessarily have to be relegated to a masculine or feminine realm. I have no problem with a woman having what have been seen to be more tradtional masculine values - independence, strength, ambition, power, aggressiveness. Or, a man being caring, feeling, vulnerable, or emotional.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Why is that bizarre? If one doesn't identify as a man, it kind of goes without saying that I don't have a straightforward definition for masculinity. I also don't have a straightforward one for femininity. I tend to think that one should not box people into what they consider to be masculine or feminine in terms of ideals, but one should just let people be themselves. (You can therefore draw your own conclusions regarding what I think of the "men are being emasculated" claim). I have values that I admire in people, men and women alike, and they don't necessarily have to be relegated to a masculine or feminine realm. I have no problem with a woman having what have been seen to be more tradtional masculine values - independence, strength, ambition, power, aggressiveness. Or, a man being caring, feeling, vulnerable, or emotional.

Do you know what would happen if males were the 10% of the world population?
That all women would restlessly fight over them, becoming very violent and aggressive.
Women would become hunters that would restlessly eye men and treat them as erotic preys
Dqmnt-1XcAAtY26.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That all women would restlessly fight over them, becoming very violent and aggressive.
Women would become hunters that would restlessly eye men and treat them as erotic preys
You think too highly of yourselves.

View attachment 25860
Nobody is interested in useless theories or claims that have nothing to do with the topic of this thread. NEXT.

‘It’s a man’s problem’: Patrick Stewart and the men fighting to end domestic violence

“There are all these influential men in politics, education, business, religions, sports, and men in mentoring roles – fathers, uncles, coaches. But, for whatever reason, they stay silent,” says Katz. “To think to yourself: ‘I don’t beat women, so it’s not my issue,’ is just not enough. We need to raise the bar a little higher.”

It saddens me that we can't have an honest discussion about this among men, discussing where the possible roots of this issue are, and actually examining masculinity, and the many and varied ways in which it's defined, and aspects of it that aren't so healthy and which contribute to violence.

Shaul

Premium Member
‘It’s a man’s problem’: Patrick Stewart and the men fighting to end domestic violence

“There are all these influential men in politics, education, business, religions, sports, and men in mentoring roles – fathers, uncles, coaches. But, for whatever reason, they stay silent,” says Katz. “To think to yourself: ‘I don’t beat women, so it’s not my issue,’ is just not enough. We need to raise the bar a little higher.”

It saddens me that we can't have an honest discussion about this among men, discussing where the possible roots of this issue are, and actually examining masculinity, and the many and varied ways in which it's defined, and aspects of it that aren't so healthy and which contribute to violence.
Well I get sad when all the focus is on the violence done by men to the exclusion of violence done against men. Male are victims of violence far more than women. Yet society is far more concerned with the violence perpetrated against women but not so much when it is against men.

Well I get sad when all the focus is on the violence done by men to the exclusion of violence done against men. Male are victims of violence far more than women. Yet society is far more concerned with the violence perpetrated against women but not so much when it is against men.
The women killed on one day around the world

Yes, men are four times more likely than women to lose their lives to homicide. Your point is taken.

Did you read the article? It states 8 out of 10 victims of homicides committed by intimate partners are female. Therefore, in the context of a relationship between a man and a woman/family violence, women are much more likely to be killed.

Let's be specific then: in the context of intimate partner/family violence, there is a problem of violence towards women. Now, how can we discuss masculinity in this context?

Feel free to post your own topic about why men are four times more likely to lose their lives to homicide, if you want to discuss that. As indicated, the purpose of this discussion was to discuss ideals about masculinity and possible links with violence. If you're not actually interested, and you just want to try derail the conversation, do it elsewhere in your own topic thread.

Shaul

Premium Member
The women killed on one day around the world

Yes, men are four times more likely than women to lose their lives to homicide. Your point is taken.

Did you read the article? It states 8 out of 10 victims of homicides committed by intimate partners are female. Therefore, in the context of a relationship between a man and a woman/family violence, women are much more likely to be killed.

Let's be specific then: in the context of intimate partner/family violence, there is a problem of violence towards women. Now, how can we discuss masculinity in this context?

Feel free to post your own topic about why men are four times more likely to lose their lives to homicide, if you want to discuss that. As indicated, the purpose of this discussion was to discuss ideals about masculinity and possible links with violence. If you're not actually interested, and you just want to try derail the conversation, do it elsewhere in your own topic thread.
Is the blood of female victims redder than that of the greater number of male victims? Does the masculinity of male homicide victims not count?

I’ll leave you to your one sided conversation since you seem intent on only being concerned with empathy and compassion for females.

Watchmen

Premium Member