1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sexual Orientation, Part 1

Discussion in 'General Debates' started by Pah, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Pah

Pah Uber all member

Ratings:
    +1,059
    Source - Evolutions Rainbow by JoanRoughgarden, 2004, University of California Press, pages 245-248

• Like Like x 2
  2. Pah

Pah Uber all member

Ratings:
    +1,059
    Ms. Roughgardens's References for the preceding post.

3. linwood

linwood Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +861
    Thanks Pah.

I think I`ll go ahead and buy the book.

:)

4. Sunstone

Sunstone De Diablo Del Fora
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +28,134
    Religion:
    Erotic Dancing Girls
    Thanks for the post, Pah. This requires me to think re-think my understanding that homosexuality is decisively determined by genetic causes. I wasn't aware of how large a role is played in it by environment. Still, it doesn't seem like there is any concious choice to be homosexual. At least, none of my homosexual friends has ever said to me something like, "At thirteen, I consciously decided to become homosexual". What they emphasize is that they discovered they were homosexual -- not that they decided to become homosexual. So, even if environmental factors play a big role in determining who is or isn't homosexual, I think conscious choice is not of great significance.

5. Paraprakrti

Paraprakrti Custom User

Ratings:
    +53
    One may not have consciously decided, "I think I am going to be gay". Perhaps it was a situation where the person had a homosexual experience that led to the consideration that he/she might be comfortable being gay. Then at this point it is even more comfortable for him/her to reason, "I was always gay, now I am just realizing it", than to think, "ok, I'm gay now, even though before I was not."

Actually, no one is really homosexual or heterosexual. The desire to feel companionship is not defined or confined to one's sexual attraction. The sexual preference of that essential desire for companionship is ultimately a reaction of one's personal sense of identification; and it is this sense of identification that results from one's personal experience, i.e.: one that is homosexual in nature. Coming from a spiritual perspective I would say that this sense of identification is false. It is not actual quality of the self, but rather, is a perverted reflection that consciousness has upon the surrounding, external world. And of course, this applies to heterosexuality, not just homosexuality.

That is my take on it anyway...

6. Pah

Pah Uber all member

Ratings:
    +1,059
    You're entirely welcome. You find many other interesting side issues - homosexuality in animals, transgendered sexuality, refutation of one of Darwin's key points, etc.

Enjoy it!

-pah-

7. Pah

Pah Uber all member

Ratings:
    +1,059
    Well, it is an opinion - unfortunetly it has no science behind it and refuted by the science provided by the author of the book.

-pah-

8. Ardhanariswar

Ardhanariswar I'm back!

Ratings:
    +66
    um, its just sexual. i dont know. perhaps i may find a parntership with a woman. im open to anything. i cant control who i fall in love with, it just happens.

9. linwood

linwood Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +861
    On the flip side no one makes a conscience decision to be hetero either.

I think our culture places too much importance on how or why someone holds a certain sexuality.

I tend to believe we aren`t born with any preordained sexual preference but simply a drive to procreate(lust/sexual excitement).

Like many things in life certain tastes appeal to some more than others.

I just find it difficult to believe my inclination for Praline & Cream ice cream is genetically inherent.
    :)

I will buy the book, maybe I`ll learn something.

10. Feathers in Hair

Feathers in Hair World's Tallest Hobbit

Ratings:
    +1,796
    Agreed, Gerani. I've always wondered about orientation... Up until now, I've only been physically attracted to males. Mentally and spiritually, I've been attracted to both genders, though, so does this mean that if my soulmate would happen to be a girl, I would be attracted to her physically as well? Or would that simply never enter the relationship? Hmm...

11. Paraprakrti

Paraprakrti Custom User

Ratings:
    +53
    What I will agree with concerning this thread...

Is that there is something in the biology of people that makes them more susceptible (maybe better to say 'receptive') to homosexual attraction. I can accept that. I would say that it is material experience that triggers that "gene", or what have you, into the conscious consideration of a homosexual lifestyle. This is of course my opinion on the matter based on all of the facts I have seen thus far. So, just like the thread article, I will not completely throw out the idea that homosexuality is determined by something in the biology of the person, as well, I will not throw out the idea that homosexuality is dependent on personal experience. Both are factors. But both factors are nevertheless irrelevant to the transcendental knowledge of the soul, which is of course the remedy for the suffering of both the heterosexual and the homosexual person. Of course, I wouldn't promote this if I didn't have personal experience of it. And I will not accept that others lack this wonderful capacity to understand and live in knowledge of the transcendental soul in it's eternal relationship to the Absolute... I am not that special.

12. Pah

Pah Uber all member

Ratings:
    +1,059

You still haven't got the idea that there is no choice - susceptible and receptive are throwbacks to personal choice and that is completely rejected in the material I posted.

Your definition of "nurture" is at odds with the scientific understanding of the term. Nurture is not personal experience in the sense of individual choice. It is the history of the emotional, learning, and behavior patterns imposed on an individual from the environment - those around the individual. Nurture is mother's care or the lack of it over which the individual has no control. It is the teacher with a curriculum and agenda and personality that is assigned to the individual. No choice here in "nurture" or in "genetics".

More importantly, your case is irrelevant to anyone else. You got to where you are by the very same forces of "nature" and "nurture".

-pah-