• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sexual fantasies = Sexual perversions?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is there anything wrong with sexual fantasies? Are all fantasies in some sense healthy, or are some sexual fantasies unhealthy? How would you distinguish between healthy fantasies and unhealthy ones?

Is it healthy to treat sexual fantasies as if the mere fact we have the fantasy is evidence that we would want the reality too?

fromthe heart

Is there a reason there are so many questions on sex today? To have sexual fantasies means you have to come up with a reason to feel something you couldn't otherwise? Could it be that you are lacking in something? If a relationship is good why would there be a need for these. To have these alone would be boredom.:)

Pah

Uber all member
fromthe heart said:
Is there a reason there are so many questions on sex today? To have sexual fantasies means you have to come up with a reason to feel something you couldn't otherwise? Could it be that you are lacking in something? If a relationship is good why would there be a need for these. To have these alone would be boredom.:)
I'm not lacking in money but I dream (sometimes) of winning the lottery.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Hi Sunstone;
Quote:-[Is there anything wrong with sexual fantasies? Are all fantasies in some sense healthy, or are some sexual fantasies unhealthy? How would you distinguish between healthy fantasies and unhealthy ones?

Is it healthy to treat sexual fantasies as if the mere fact we have the fantasy is evidence that we would want the reality too?]

Suddenly, I feel I'm a kid back at school (Which I was once of course, a long long time ago); it is almost as I was taking exams again. I have noticed your questions are all as broad ranging as possible - mind - stretching.
'From the heart' has answered the question as well as I could have; I would have though that (for me, at any rate) all fantacies are morally unhealthy - and so, I wouldn't need to differentiate the two, because there would be no difference.:)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm not sure that sexual fantasies can all be called compensatory. I think some sexual fantasies are less compensatory than they are exploratory. Is it possible that sexual fantasies can be a means for us to get in better touch with our sexuality?

FyreBrigidIce

Returning Noob
I believe that sexual fantasies may be healthy if you are in a relationship in which both partners trust enough to explore them between themselves in a safe and consensual manner. They can help a good relationship continue to grow better. A good relationship does not mean that something can not be lacking. Good does not equal perfect and perfect is not a realistic expectation of any relationship, although perfect is also a personal term because each person can feel that they are truly in a perfect relationship. Relationships require work no matter how good they are. I also beleive that if the person feels uncomfortable sharing their fantasies with their partner but is able to separate the fantasy from the relationship until they can discuss it, then it is still healthy.

Sexual fantasies become unhealthy when the person becomes so obsessed with them that they refuse to accept any sexual activity that does not involve the fantasies. They also can become unhealthy when they interrupt the person overall daily activities or cause the person to neglect responsibilities.

FBI

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
FyreBrigidIce said:
Sexual fantasies become unhealthy when the person becomes so obsessed with them that they refuse to accept any sexual activity that does not involve the fantasies. They also can become unhealthy when they interrupt the person overall daily activities or cause the person to neglect responsibilities.

FBI
I agree . A fantasy only becomes harmful when it becomes an obsession . Fantasys are not that much different then dreams , only we often have more control over them . Fantasys often show up in dreams . It is just the way our minds work .

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Sunstone said:
I'm not sure that sexual fantasies can all be called compensatory. I think some sexual fantasies are less compensatory than they are exploratory. Is it possible that sexual fantasies can be a means for us to get in better touch with our sexuality?
There are plenty of sexual fantasies that involve something that the fantasiser (is that a word?) would not want to actually do in real life. In the realms of fantasy there's a level of security because you are in complete control. You have no gaurantee of that in real life.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
There's nothing wrong with a sexual fantasy...it's a matter of not letting certain...lets say...culturally frowned upon fantasies become reality (i.e. rape, pedophilia, necrophilia, etc.)