• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sexual appetite

Axe Elf

Prophet
Physical bodies die and become decomposed. They do not go to heaven.

Correct.

There can be no orgasms with no physical body.

The experience of an orgasm is in the mind, or the soul. This is like saying that there can be no thought, no experience, no perception without a physical body--in other words, one would cease to exist without a physical body. That's possible, of course, but your next assertion seems to contradict it:

It will be heaven but there will be no orgasms.

How would we know we were in heaven without the ability to think or experience or perceive? And if we CAN do those things, then we can experience orgasms (or, more likely, eternal orgasmic bliss).

It will be hell for those who were attached to things of the flesh.

Well, we're all attached to the things of the flesh so long as we are in the flesh, so there can be no discrimination by that criteria to determine our fate.

It will be better than that, much better, at least for those who came prepared.

Don't be silly. There's nothing better than eternal orgasmic bliss.

As for the others, they made their beds, so they will have to sleep in them.

I doubt if we will even fall asleep after an orgasm--or ever, really. We'll just be on to the next orgasm.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The experience of an orgasm is in the mind, or the soul. This is like saying that there can be no thought, no experience, no perception without a physical body--in other words, one would cease to exist without a physical body. That's possible, of course, but your next assertion seems to contradict it:
No, I did not say that. The soul will continue to exist and it will take on a spiritual body.

The experience of orgasm is in the body. It is impossible without a physical body.

orgasm: a climax of sexual excitement, characterized by feelings of pleasure centered in the genitals and (in men) experienced as an accompaniment to ejaculation. https://www.google.com/search
How would we know we were in heaven without the ability to think or experience or perceive? And if we CAN do those things, then we can experience orgasms (or, more likely, eternal orgasmic bliss).

Don't be silly. There's nothing better than eternal orgasmic bliss.

I doubt if we will even fall asleep after an orgasm--or ever, really. We'll just be on to the next orgasm.
Why do you keep using the world orgasm?
Without a physical body you can't experience orgasms.

Axe Elf

Prophet
No, I did not say that. The soul will continue to exist and it will take on a spiritual body.

The experience of orgasm is in the body. It is impossible without a physical body.

The experience of EVERYTHING is in the body, currently. If experience dies with the body, then how will the soul know that it is continuing to exist?

Without a physical body you can't experience orgasms.

Again, either we will be able to experience things after the physical body dies, or we will not. If we can, then the experience of an orgasm is just as likely as any other experience. If we cannot, then it doesn't make much sense to speak of the soul's continued (but completely oblivious) existence.

PureX

Veteran Member
I suspect that the condition of our bodies and our state of mind have a lot to do with the cessation of sexual activity as we get older. And as a counter to your bias (IMO), I might offer that that cessation of sexual desire might actually be a sign of wisdom and emotional maturity that comes with age and experience, rather than the 'deficiency' that you seem to be taking it to be.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The experience of EVERYTHING is in the body, currently. If experience dies with the body, then how will the soul know that it is continuing to exist?
The soul animates the human body while we are alive on earth. The soul communicates its desires through the brain to the physical body, which thereby expresses itself, so the soul is responsible for the mind, senses and emotions as well as physical sensations. The body is just a vehicle that carries the soul around while we are alive on earth, a place to house the soul. The soul is our self, our true reality.

The soul is the sum total of the personality so it is the person himself; the physical body is pure matter with no real identity. The person, after he dies and leaves his physical body behind, goes to the spiritual world where the soul takes on a spiritual body made up of heavenly elements that exist in the spiritual realm.

“The answer to the third question is this, that in the other world the human reality doth not assume a physical form, rather doth it take on a heavenly form, made up of elements of that heavenly realm.
Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 194

Since all we have ever experienced is physical, it is impossible for us to understand what it is like to be a spiritual being rather than a physical body.

“The nature of the soul after death can never be described, nor is it meet and permissible to reveal its whole character to the eyes of men.........
The world beyond is as different from this world as this world is different from that of the child while still in the womb of its mother. When the soul attaineth the Presence of God, it will assume the form that best befitteth its immortality and is worthy of its celestial habitation.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 156-157
Again, either we will be able to experience things after the physical body dies, or we will not. If we can, then the experience of an orgasm is just as likely as any other experience. If we cannot, then it doesn't make much sense to speak of the soul's continued (but completely oblivious) existence.
We will be able to experience everything we experience in this life, except physical sensations, desires or needs, because one needs a physical body to experience anything physical. We will be fully conscious and have a heightened consciousness since we will no longer have the demands of the physical body as impediments between us and our soul; so it will be like a bird (soul) that has been freed from a cage (body). The soul will take on some kind of form but it will not be physical.

Axe Elf

Prophet
The soul animates the human body while we are alive on earth. The soul communicates its desires through the brain to the physical body, which thereby expresses itself, so the soul is responsible for the mind, senses and emotions as well as physical sensations. The body is just a vehicle that carries the soul around while we are alive on earth, a place to house the soul. The soul is our self, our true reality.

The soul is the sum total of the personality so it is the person himself; the physical body is pure matter with no real identity. The person, after he dies and leaves his physical body behind, goes to the spiritual world where the soul takes on a spiritual body made up of heavenly elements that exist in the spiritual realm.

“The answer to the third question is this, that in the other world the human reality doth not assume a physical form, rather doth it take on a heavenly form, made up of elements of that heavenly realm.
Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 194

Since all we have ever experienced is physical, it is impossible for us to understand what it is like to be a spiritual being rather than a physical body.

“The nature of the soul after death can never be described, nor is it meet and permissible to reveal its whole character to the eyes of men.........
The world beyond is as different from this world as this world is different from that of the child while still in the womb of its mother. When the soul attaineth the Presence of God, it will assume the form that best befitteth its immortality and is worthy of its celestial habitation.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 156-157

We will be able to experience everything we experience in this life, except physical sensations, desires or needs, because one needs a physical body to experience anything physical. We will be fully conscious and have a heightened consciousness since we will no longer have the demands of the physical body as impediments between us and our soul; so it will be like a bird (soul) that has been freed from a cage (body). The soul will take on some kind of form but it will not be physical.

I could correct you on some minor matters, such as it being the spirit, not the soul, that animates our physical bodies, but in other respects, you seem to have a good grasp on the role of the soul in relation to our personhood, and it's not really critical to either of our arguments, so I won't bother.

The most untenable of your positions, however, is that directly after quoting from Winnie the Pooh or whatever to assert that nobody can possibly know what the soul will be like after death, you plunge right in to telling me what the soul will and won't be able to experience after death. if you can't see the internal contradiction in these assertions, then I probably won't be able to explain it to you any further.

So I'm sticking with the eternal orgasmic bliss.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
The most untenable of your positions, however, is that directly after quoting from Winnie the Pooh or whatever to assert that nobody can possibly know what the soul will be like after death, you plunge right in to telling me what the soul will and won't be able to experience after death. if you can't see the internal contradiction in these assertions, then I probably won't be able to explain it to you any further.

I wouldn't refer to the founder of your faith as 'Winnie the Pooh' axe-man. If anyone had the capacity to know about the after life it would be the Christ.

Axe Elf

Prophet
I wouldn't refer to the founder of your faith as 'Winnie the Pooh' axe-man.

I didn't. I compared the literature from which Trailblazer quoted to another work of literature.

If anyone had the capacity to know about the after life it would be the Christ.

As far as I know, Christ was silent on the experience of orgasms in the afterlife, so His wisdom regarding the hereafter hasn't entered into our discussion.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
As far as I know, Christ was silent on the experience of orgasms in the afterlife, so His wisdom regarding the hereafter hasn't entered into our discussion.

The nature of the soul and its relationship to God after death is a serious matter.

Christ spoke saying

"If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?
And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven."

John 3:12-12

Perhaps there was wisdom in His silence?

Audie

Veteran Member
At 65 I still have a strong sexual appetite, I guess being in a Poly relationship and having a 34 year old highly sexual Japanese girl friend has helped maybe not. It strikes me that although we live in a highly sexualized society Mr & Mrs average seen to have little or no sex after 50 and for many over 60 its a distant memory. Why? is it because we dont feel sexy or because we are sexually bored with the same person and the intrigue and thrill has gone.

What we cant ignore is that monogamy for most of the worlds population doesn't work.

Your thoughts.........

I think I dont really believe you. :D

Trackdayguy

Speed doesn't kill, it's hitting the wall
You got that completely backwards.

What you believe or don't believe is your business and has no interest to me whatsoever. Unfortunately you've missed the point of my post, which was "How many 60 plus people still have a high sexual appetite?".

Axe Elf

Prophet
The nature of the soul and its relationship to God after death is a serious matter.

Christ spoke saying

"If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?
And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven."

Perhaps. We won't know until the orgasms begin (or until we're sorely disappointed that they did not).

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

Christ spoke saying

Jesus was not completely silent. :rolleyes:
I do not know everything that is in the Gospels like you do, but I know what is most important to know. :)
All of that is of course fully supported by Baha'u'llah.

We will die if we do not eat, drink or sleep, but we will not die if we do not have sex. We can choose to channel our desires towards God and noble purposes. Denying our desires will work if we decide to deny them. Nothing will happen to us except that we will be free to live for God and others.

Humans are more than just animals. We have a soul and that is what differentiates us from other animals. The soul is the first among all created things to declare the excellence God, the first to recognize His glory and cleave to His truth. That is the primary purpose for which we were created, to know and worship God.

As humans we are spiritual beings, made in the image and likeness of God. In the process of living we have animal needs because we have an animal nature as well as a spiritual nature, but the Bible and the Baha’i Writings make it perfectly clear that are enjoined to rise above our animal nature and strive to live according to our spiritual nature.

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

I am sure there are many more verses like these but I do not have the time to look for them right now.

The fact that some people don’t acknowledge what Jesus said means they do not know what He said or they don’t care, because they just want what they want.

Denying our animal desires is what Jesus has enjoined us to do. Satan is not a “being” that has independent existence, as Christians believe. Satan represents the lower animalistic nature of man that desires things that are not of God but rather of men, our selfish desires. Those things were an offence to Jesus. These are some of my favorite Bible verses.

Matthew 16:23-26 ““But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men. Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?”

I am not saying that everyone can meet that standard, but that is the standard that was set forth. To deny it is to deny what Jesus died for.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Christ was not completely silent on the subject, if one can read between the lines.
See what I just posted to Adrian.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I could correct you on some minor matters, such as it being the spirit, not the soul, that animates our physical bodies, but in other respects, you seem to have a good grasp on the role of the soul in relation to our personhood, and it's not really critical to either of our arguments, so I won't bother.
The spirit is synonymous with the soul; the human spirit is the soul.
There is no contradiction because we can know some things that the soul will not experience after death....
  • We know that the heaven is a spiritual world so there will be no physical bodies in heaven....
  • We know that physical bodies do not survive death, so we cannot have a physical body after death....
  • We know that orgasms occur in the genitals but with no physical body there can be no genitals...
  • Ask Adrian, he is a doctor...
  • By the process of deductive reasoning, if we have no physical body in heaven that means there can be no orgasms in heaven.
Sorry if this is disappointing... I do not make the Rules, I just report them.... ;)
So I'm sticking with the eternal orgasmic bliss.
You can hope, but your hopes will be dashed soon after arrival. :oops:

Axe Elf

Prophet
Christ was not completely silent on the subject, if one can read between the lines.
See what I just posted to Adrian.

I see nothing in what you posted to Adrian where Jesus said anything about the experience of orgasms in the afterlife.

Now, if by "reading between the lines," you mean, "attributing my own thoughts to Jesus," then yes, we can make Jesus say anything we want Him to say.