• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sex Work Marches Towards Legality

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Excuse me, Bubba --- this liberal doesn't do much in the way of excoriating you! (Except, of course, when you are obviously and egregiously wrong.)

On a side note, one of my very favourite lines (from a great playwrite by the name of George Bernard Shaw) has to do with discovering that the man who wishes to marry her niece is an orphan. It typifies how we humans judge one another all too frequently (which means we often judge things over which those we judge have little or no control).

Lady Bracknell: “To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.”
Of course I used the prefix "many" before "liberals",
because some of them are decent & thoughtful folk.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I used the example of sod laying. I was two toned after a summer of that. Blue jeans were worn to protect one's legs but the shirts came off almost immediately. I was a deep dark brown on top and white white white below the waist.

I barely walk outside and I am constantly two toned. To make matters worse, I have a bit of hyperhidrosis on my forehead if it gets too hot.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I barely walk outside and I am constantly two toned. To make matters worse, I have a bit of hyperhidrosis on my forehead if it gets too hot.
Okay, I had to look that up, but it reminded me of a person that used to train at the same dojo as me. He had it on his feet which for a barefoot sport can cause problems. I did not know the medical term for that.

I used to tan very easily, then at about 21 or 23 I developed vitiligo. Not a bad case, but a good sized white patch on the sternum, wrists and other joints made me avoid the sun after that.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Some things should not be "a business". Sadly, few Americans are capable of understanding this, anymore. We have turned EVERY aspect of humanity into a commodity to be bought and sold (exploited) for profit. It's hard to see what's wrong with prostitution when everyone is already a whore.

This is hardly 'the next step of commoditization' though. Sex has been a 'saleable' commodity, for better or worse, throughout history. I'm on to pot American exceptionalism as much as the next guy, but this isn't an American issue.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I would be willing to bet $1 that the legalization of prostitution only has majority support among atheists.

Go the next step.
Explain to me why atheists would support legalization of prostitution, and why non-atheists wouldn't, then.

I'm an atheist, and I would support at least the decriminalization. Here in Australia, prostitution is largely legal (there are some restrictions, etc), and I certainly don't see that as a bad thing. But as to WHY I don't see that as a bad thing...that's the part I'd be interested in your thoughts on.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Go the next step.
Explain to me why atheists would support legalization of prostitution, and why non-atheists wouldn't, then.

I'm an atheist, and I would support at least the decriminalization. Here in Australia, prostitution is largely legal (there are some restrictions, etc), and I certainly don't see that as a bad thing. But as to WHY I don't see that as a bad thing...that's the part I'd be interested in your thoughts on.
I don't see why Christians are not pro-prostitution, considering the role it had in the birth of Jesus.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Illegal sex work will happen regardless of it we regulate it or not. There's always going to be desparate people trading sex for money, drugs, alcohol or a place to stay. I've known many people like that. A few ended up with HIV because of it.
BUT, I'm advocating reducing numbers and trying to manage the situation.
Alcohol is controlled, look what happened when the evangelicals tried to ban it ?
If you control/licence prostitution (and drugs for that matter) you will reduce the illegal side of it

PureX

Veteran Member
I laid sod one summer during my college years. Not because I wanted to, not because I liked it, but because of the money. You need to show that prostitution is different. It is the same sort of consent.
You could have prostituted yourself that summer. But instead you chose to lay sod. So clearly, you already know the difference.

PureX

Veteran Member
Well, what might you have suggested? I had nobody in the world to help me -- remember, no family, no nothing.And while there might have been agencies I could turn to, do you think that with nobody to talk to and no real knowledge of the world I knew where to find them? Would starving or freezing to death really have been the better option?
You did what you had to do to survive, while other people used your circumstances to exploit and abuse you for their own pleasure. This is why it should remain illegal. It's also why we should not allow our fellow humans to be put in that kind of raw survival circumstance. The whole situation was being fueled and enabled by our acceptance of greed and selfishness as virtues. By our absurd idea that commerce and exploitation are the same thing.