• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sex Shops Off Limits To Female Ministers. As Well They Should Be

Skwim

Veteran Member

After all, ministers aren't supposed to enjoy sex, are they? Of course not. At least nothing more than the missionary position every other month, weather permitting.

"A female minister was fired after she was spotted exiting a sex shop… but that’s only the beginning of this bizarre story.

AmyButlerChurch-1024x573.png

[Pleasure seeking minister]

Rev. Amy Butler was let go from Riverside Church in Manhattan, [Although interdenominational, it is also associated with the American Baptist Churches USA and the United Church of Christ.] which was unusual in part because it’s known for being an extremely progressive church, and the sex shop story garnered plenty of headlines for obvious reasons. Butler allegedly took two church employees with her to the shop to “celebrate the birthday” of one of the other clergy members. She ended up buying items for several people on that visit. But the two members later said it made them extremely uncomfortable. (One congregant said everyone willingly agreed to go and it’s not like the trip was mandatory.)

But that was just the tipping point. Other issues relating to her contract negotiations were already brewing. She wanted more money to match what a male predecessor made. [The gaul!!!] She also wanted stricter punishments for volunteers at the church who committed any sort of sexual misconduct. Then the sex shop incident occurred… and Butler also reported creepy behavior from a fellow church members… and suddenly the church’s elders fired her.

So was she the victim of discrimination or the instigator in a case of sexual discomfort?

Whatever the case, members of the congregation are calling for her reinstatement, according to the Washington Post.

The 11 congregants introduced a petition at an all-congregation meeting Sunday — convened after morning services in part to discuss Butler’s exit — and asked the church to schedule a vote to bring back Butler as senior minister, according to three people familiar with the matter, including current and former church members.
The more you read about what’s going on at this church, the more it’s clear that the church needs to do a far better job of explaining to the congregation and the outside world why they made their decision. As it stands, visiting a sex shop isn’t a crime, even when you’re a pastor and even when you invite church members to come with you. (Plus, it was off the clock and it’s not like she was using donations from congregants to make the purchases.) If Butler’s biggest “crime” was demanding equal treatment and better policies from her church, it’s hardly a reason to punish her.
source

Update!

"Already?"

Yup

"The Rev. Amy K. Butler, who was recently ousted from New York City’s famed Riverside Church due in part to a controversial visit to a sex shop in Minnesota, is expected to receive an exit package worth at least $500,000, as some congregants call for her reinstatement.

Riverside Church announced earlier this month that it would not be renewing Butler’s contract after five years with her as the first female leader at the helm. It did not state a reason. But the New York Post pointed to issues concerning her leadership, as well as a formal complaint that she took two Riverside Church assistant ministers and a female congregant to the Smitten Kitten sex shop in Minneapolis.

136189_w_760.png

Butler was also reportedly pushing for an increase in her salary, which the New York Post reported was $250,000 a year plus an $8,000-a-month housing allowance and more than $55,000 in yearly pension contributions.

The 1,750-member church previously told The Christian Post that it would not be commenting on the specifics of Butler’s departure but documentation seen by the New York Post suggests that she will be moving on from the church with at least $500,000.

The payout is expected to include a full year of salary, six months of housing allowance, three years of annual $59,000 retirement contributions, a $100,000 “separation payment,” $10,000 for her lawyer’s fees, plus unused vacation for a package totaling $594,530.

The New York Post reported last week that Butler, a mother of three, reportedly gifted one of the assistant ministers who accompanied her to the sex shop, a $200 vibrator and purchased pleasure toys for herself and a female congregant.

[A $200 vibrator. Yeah, I was curious myself.]

613hnGj2AKL._AC_UL320_.jpg

$204.99
FREE Shipping
The visit occurred during a trip to the 27th annual Festival of Homiletics where the 49-year-old presided over the closing worship service of the weeklong conference.

A source that spoke with the New York Post alleged that the single mother who was celebrating her 40th birthday when her boss gifted her the vibrator didn’t want it. She reportedly accepted the gift because she was afraid.
source

Last edited:

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
"A female minister was fired after she was spotted exiting a sex shop… but that’s only the beginning of this bizarre story.

Meh I've seen worse. I knew someone who almost got kicked out of their church for visiting a car shop once. What's the issue you ask? Because the car shop was once a liquor store and still had some of the old signage up. Someone snitched on them for visiting a "liquor store", and the whole family almost got ousted.

Just another reason I can't stand the institution of church. Too much politics and BS.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
If I were her I’d simply pretend I was trying to minister to the people in the sex shop. I mean go to the sinners, right?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
She went all the way to Minneapolis for her sex toys? How I have heard of not pooping in your own backyard, but a trip of over a thousand miles is a bit much.

Neutral Name

She was the victim of discrimination but what else is new? How dare she ask for the same amount of money that a man would make? And if a man had gone to the sex shop, it would have been a slap on the wrist or hushed up.

God knows that sex exists and doesn't even hate the idea.

The woman who was afraid to say no to the sex toy was obviously mentally disturbed. Why not just say no? What was the big deal? Let me guess, she is married to the incoming pastor. Nobody in NYC would react that way. Get serious! I go to NYC a lot. I love the city. People aren't timid in NYC. That is so bogus.

So, the church wanted to get rid of her and so they did. Mainly, they probably were more conservative than they want to admit. When you tell me American Baptist Churches USA and the United Church of Christ, I see conservative written all over the place. They didn't want a woman pastor. Women should be seen but not heard. I have been told that it is Biblical. If so, I don't believe in the Bible. God doesn't discriminate against women.

Thank you, Skwim, for being a non-chauvinist and posting this story. God bless you.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

After all, ministers aren't supposed to enjoy sex, are they? Of course not. At least nothing more than the missionary position every other month, weather permitting.

Rev. Amy Butler was let go from Riverside Church in Manhattan, [Although interdenominational, it is also associated with the American Baptist Churches USA and the United Church of Christ.] which was unusual in part because it’s known for being an extremely progressive church, and the sex shop story garnered plenty of headlines for obvious reasons. Butler allegedly took two church employees with her to the shop to “celebrate the birthday” of one of the other clergy members. She ended up buying items for several people on that visit. But the two members later said it made them extremely uncomfortable. (One congregant said everyone willingly agreed to go and it’s not like the trip was mandatory.)

But that was just the tipping point. Other issues relating to her contract negotiations were already brewing. She wanted more money to match what a male predecessor made. [The gaul!!!] She also wanted stricter punishments for volunteers at the church who committed any sort of sexual misconduct. Then the sex shop incident occurred… and Butler also reported creepy behavior from a fellow church members… and suddenly the church’s elders fired her.

So was she the victim of discrimination or the instigator in a case of sexual discomfort?

Whatever the case, members of the congregation are calling for her reinstatement, according to the Washington Post.

The 11 congregants introduced a petition at an all-congregation meeting Sunday — convened after morning services in part to discuss Butler’s exit — and asked the church to schedule a vote to bring back Butler as senior minister, according to three people familiar with the matter, including current and former church members.
The more you read about what’s going on at this church, the more it’s clear that the church needs to do a far better job of explaining to the congregation and the outside world why they made their decision. As it stands, visiting a sex shop isn’t a crime, even when you’re a pastor and even when you invite church members to come with you. (Plus, it was off the clock and it’s not like she was using donations from congregants to make the purchases.) If Butler’s biggest “crime” was demanding equal treatment and better policies from her church, it’s hardly a reason to punish her.
source
Update!

"Already?"

Yup

"The Rev. Amy K. Butler, who was recently ousted from New York City’s famed Riverside Church due in part to a controversial visit to a sex shop in Minnesota, is expected to receive an exit package worth at least $500,000, as some congregants call for her reinstatement.

Riverside Church announced earlier this month that it would not be renewing Butler’s contract after five years with her as the first female leader at the helm. It did not state a reason. But the New York Post pointed to issues concerning her leadership, as well as a formal complaint that she took two Riverside Church assistant ministers and a female congregant to the Smitten Kitten sex shop in Minneapolis.

136189_w_760.png
Butler was also reportedly pushing for an increase in her salary, which the New York Post reported was $250,000 a year plus an $8,000-a-month housing allowance and more than $55,000 in yearly pension contributions.

The 1,750-member church previously told The Christian Post that it would not be commenting on the specifics of Butler’s departure but documentation seen by the New York Post suggests that she will be moving on from the church with at least $500,000.

The payout is expected to include a full year of salary, six months of housing allowance, three years of annual $59,000 retirement contributions, a $100,000 “separation payment,” $10,000 for her lawyer’s fees, plus unused vacation for a package totaling $594,530.

The New York Post reported last week that Butler, a mother of three, reportedly gifted one of the assistant ministers who accompanied her to the sex shop, a $200 vibrator and purchased pleasure toys for herself and a female congregant.

$204.99
FREE Shipping
The visit occurred during a trip to the 27th annual Festival of Homiletics where the 49-year-old presided over the closing worship service of the weeklong conference.

A source that spoke with the New York Post alleged that the single mother who was celebrating her 40th birthday when her boss gifted her the vibrator didn’t want it. She reportedly accepted the gift because she was afraid.
source

She should have walked in with a couple of nuns , nobody would have ever noticed.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

source
Update!

"Already?"

Yup

136189_w_760.png
Butler was also reportedly pushing for an increase in her salary, which the New York Post reported was $250,000 a year plus an $8,000-a-month housing allowance and more than $55,000 in yearly pension contributions.​

That's sad when a progressive church does stuff like this.

$204.99
FREE Shipping

They probably fired her because she didn't get a good deal on the vibrator. That's expensive. Aside, why can't men be shaped like that????

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
She was the victim of discrimination but what else is new? How dare she ask for the same amount of money that a man would make? And if a man had gone to the sex shop, it would have been a slap on the wrist or hushed up.

God knows that sex exists and doesn't even hate the idea.

The woman who was afraid to say no to the sex toy was obviously mentally disturbed. Why not just say no? What was the big deal? Let me guess, she is married to the incoming pastor. Nobody in NYC would react that way. Get serious! I go to NYC a lot. I love the city. People aren't timid in NYC. That is so bogus.

So, the church wanted to get rid of her and so they did. Mainly, they probably were more conservative than they want to admit. When you tell me American Baptist Churches USA and the United Church of Christ, I see conservative written all over the place. They didn't want a woman pastor. Women should be seen but not heard. I have been told that it is Biblical. If so, I don't believe in the Bible. God doesn't discriminate against women.

Thank you, Skwim, for being a non-chauvinist and posting this story. God bless you.
As long as they weren't dancing.

Rational Agnostic

Meh I've seen worse. I knew someone who almost got kicked out of their church for visiting a car shop once. What's the issue you ask? Because the car shop was once a liquor store and still had some of the old signage up. Someone snitched on them for visiting a "liquor store", and the whole family almost got ousted.

Just another reason I can't stand the institution of church. Too much politics and BS.

What is wrong with a Christian visiting a liquor store? If we ask "what would Jesus do?", according to the bible he would certainly visit a liquor store, since he was a social drinker.

Luke 7:34:

The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and you say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.'

We Never Know

No Slack

source
Update!

"Already?"

Yup

136189_w_760.png

$204.99
FREE Shipping

source

Most ministers I've ever met were married with kids. However I do believe catholic priest and nuns are supposedly held to the no sex standard.

Enoch07

Premium Member
What is wrong with a Christian visiting a liquor store? If we ask "what would Jesus do?", according to the bible he would certainly visit a liquor store, since he was a social drinker.

Luke 7:34:

The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and you say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.'

I don't see anything wrong with it. But meh some are just super uptight about it I guess.

Rational Agnostic

I don't see anything wrong with it. But meh some are just super uptight about it I guess.

Yeah, I've never understood Christians who claim drinking alcohol is a sin. The bible is pretty clear that Jesus drank, so they're actually calling Jesus a sinner by claiming it is a sin to have a drink. Not that I really care, but it just makes no sense at all.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Yeah, I've never understood Christians who claim drinking alcohol is a sin. The bible is pretty clear that Jesus drank, so they're actually calling Jesus a sinner by claiming it is a sin to have a drink. Not that I really care, but it just makes no sense at all.

It's only a sin when you are like an alcoholic that's drunk 7 days a week etc. Like excessive drinking, gluttony, ya know. Before I got sick and had to give up alchohol unwillingly I would buy a bottle of Jameson and sip on it slowly over 2-4 weeks. Just a drink or two here there, rarely even getting drunk, just enough to take the edge off, moderation!

Neutral Name

As long as they weren't dancing.

Yes, I remember those days. There was an Assembly of God church near me. I went to school with the pastor's daughter and she told me that she was not allowed to dance. What about making a joyous noise unto the Lord? What is the not allowed to dance thing about?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes, I remember those days. There was an Assembly of God church near me. I went to school with the pastor's daughter and she told me that she was not allowed to dance. What about making a joyous noise unto the Lord? What is the not allowed to dance thing about?
That was an obscure reference to an old joke:

why don't Baptists make love standing up?

Someone might think that they are dancing.