• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sex crimes

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Yes, while I do think we should be more harsh on rapists and such, and teach women more about how to protect themselves (Rapists typically are turned away by people who struggle the entire time and try to reach for something as a weapon), the death penalty isn't the answer, imo.

evearael

Yes, while I do think we should be more harsh on rapists and such, and teach women more about how to protect themselves (Rapists typically are turned away by people who struggle the entire time and try to reach for something as a weapon), the death penalty isn't the answer, imo.

Years of martial arts and being a well-trained grappler was not enough. Most of the perpetrators obtain positions of trust to give them better access to their victims.

evearael

Years of martial arts and being a well-trained grappler was not enough.

...still, for the love of all that's good, fight back! I did everything short of lethal blows. I just didn't have it in me to take a life... I didn't value myself enough. I will not make that mistake again.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I agree with Evearael that rape and related sex crimes are epidemic. I think if we're going to make significant progress against the epidemic, then we need to take a multi-pronged approach to it. Tougher penalities for sex criminals are just one aspect of doing something about this, and it might not even be the most effective thing we can do. For instance, since the overwhelming majority of victims are adolescent girls and young women, perhaps we should, as a society, invest some resources in what adolescent girls and young women need to come forward when they've been raped; what they need in support, treatment and post-rape care; what they need to know and do to protect themselves and prevent rape; and what society needs to give them in the form of better protections. That is, we really need a nation wide, sustained effort to solve this problem.