• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sex Changes

Lightkeeper

If a person gets a sex change operation, are they legally the sex they changed to and should they be allowed to marry?

linwood

I don`t think they are recognised as anything other than the sex they were born into..not sure though just heard that somewhere.

I don`t see why they shouldn`t be allowed to marry.

Can anyone give a reason why they shouldn`t?

standing_on_one_foot

Yay for helpful webpages...check it out for info on this subject...http://www.drbecky.com/birthcert.html

And then as for marriage...I know a gay couple who were allowed to marry because one was a transsexual but was still legally their birth gender...I don't know if a transman can marry a bio-woman or vice versa, though. I'd assume a transman and a transwoman could get married...I suppose it all depends on who they want to marry, where, etc. If you ask me, you should be allowed to marry who you like, but strangely enough, no lawmaker has asked me as of yet :p

FyreBrigidIce

Returning Noob
I do not know if a person that has a sex change is legally the sex they change too. However, as with same sex marriages I firmly believe that it should be allowed and include all the rights that heterosexual marriages have. I wonder if there would be a requirement for these people who have operations to register that they did in fact have an operation.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
They are legally recognized as the sex they change through after they go through several steps. This doesn't always include operation, I believe. I remember seeing a special on the Learning Channel about it, and it showed a girl trying to get the sex on her license changed to 'F,' she accomplished it, and she hadn't had an operation, so.

Pah

Uber all member
Lightkeeper said:
If a person gets a sex change operation, are they legally the sex they changed to and should they be allowed to marry?

Yes and yes

Birth certificates may be re-issued in some states. Court orders, changing a name, maybe suffient as well as just a drivers license that indicates the new sex.

Sometimes a drivers license is enough to obtain a marriage license.

Bob

Lintu

There's also the difference between sex and gender. Does the current law specify that the two people have to be of different sex, or different gender? (I believe in the school of thought that sex is biologically determined, but gender may not match one's born sex).

Pah

Uber all member
Lintu said:
There's also the difference between sex and gender. Does the current law specify that the two people have to be of different sex, or different gender? (I believe in the school of thought that sex is biologically determined, but gender may not match one's born sex).

Male and female are designations of biological sex. Man and woman are labels for sexual identity. The law, as proposed by Constitutional Amendment specifies Man and Woman. There would be no impediment to a transsexual woman, with or without the external morphology of male, marring a man. The amendment only addresses homosexual sexuality.

Gender is a construct of grammer

Bob