• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sex before marriage?????

ecco

Veteran Member
Well, there we have the solution, don't we?

Have wanton sex.
Repent.
Have wanton sex.
Repent.
Rinse and Repeat.
Die.
Give a finger to Corinthians and Revs.
Go to Heaven.

In your dreams.

Not in my dreams. I don't see anything wrong with extramarital sex. I don't believe in Biblical sin. I don't believe in repentance.

But, I have known Christians who follow the above formula.

Tommy talking to his friend Billy: I have to go to confession.
Tommy talking to Priest: Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned.
Father John: Who did you sin with? Was it Mary DaVinci?
Tommy talking to Priest: No Father.
Father John: Was it Beth O'Sullivan?
Father John: Was it Shannon Dorrity?
Father John: Well, try keeping it in your pants. Ten Hail Mary's for penence.
-later-
Billy: How'd it go?
Tommy: Not bad. I got ten Hail Mary's and three good leads!

ecco

Veteran Member
If we restate sex before marriage as sex before strong commitment, we have:

*STDs before strong commitment

*Unplanned pregnancy before " "

*Financial, emotional, physical woe before " "

Your dangerous views are probably the result of a good Christian education. An education that did not tell you how to practice safe sex. An education that drummed it into your head that sex is bad, bad, bad.

How Purity Pledges Lead to Unintended Pregnancies and STDs
A new study suggests teens who vow to be sexually abstinent until marriage—and then break that vow—are more likely to wind up pregnant than those who never took the pledge to begin with.

https://www.webmd.com/sexual-conditions/news/20050322/virginity-pledges-dont-cut-std-rates#1
Young people who take virginity pledges are as likely to get sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) as those who do not make the same pledge, new research shows.​

Ignorance is not bliss.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
As it was highly unlikely to be a god who got her pregnant it was much more likely it was either Joseph or another guy. The crazy virgin birth story was most likely created to cover up Mary being in the family way before she married Joseph.

Agreed, the Jewish scriptures tell a more convincing story, for some reason it was omitted from christian scripture in the copying process

ChristineM

Premium Member
REMEMBER THE BUNDLING BED...

The Awkward 17th-Century Dating Practice That Saw Teens Get Bundled Into Bags
Contemporary preacher Jonathan Edwards outwardly spoke against bundling as a risky practice teetering on the edge of dangerous promiscuity, writing that this seemingly new sexual awakening of common people would “ruin a person’s reputation and be looked upon as sufficient evidences of a prostitute” had it happened in any other country; he also worried about pregnancies preceding wedlock.Thelatter was probably a legitimate fear; pregnancies following bundling weren’t unheard of, and one in 10 of every first child born in colonial America was born eight months after marriage. One poem of the time, reprinted by Stiles, serves as a cautionary tale:

A bundling couple went to bed
With all their clothes from foot to head;
That the defense might seem complete
Each one was wrapped in a sheet
But oh, this bundling’s such a witch
The man of her did catch the itch,
And so provoked was the wretch
That she of his a ******* catch’d.

For clarification, RF *'d a very legitimate word, B-----d, which means an offspring conceived out of wedlock.

Yes i got the *****, obvious really.

And interesting stats in the story. Only 1 in 10? i am surprised. I had an ancestor (female) on one of the first ships. She never married but had several children who kept her surname (presumably fathers name unknown), my pre marital surname. She turned out to be quite a pioneer and during her life she crossed the country. Her progress can be mapped by the 13 communities with a high number of people still bearing our family name.

ecco

Veteran Member
As it was highly unlikely to be a god who got her pregnant it was much more likely it was either Joseph or another guy. The crazy virgin birth story was most likely created to cover up Mary being in the family way before she married Joseph.
Or it could just be a story made up by someone when asked about Jesus's lineage.

Was anyone there to see if it was the Holy Ghost or a Roman who allegedly impregnated the woman who allegedly gave birth to Jesus.

Remember, Jesus was pretty much of a nobody until after his 30th birthday. So the best you have is 30-year-old hearsay.

ChristineM

Premium Member
If we restate sex before marriage as sex before strong commitment, we have:

*STDs before strong commitment

*Unplanned pregnancy before " "

*Financial, emotional, physical woe before " "

Interestingly the accolade for the highest rate of STDs and pregnancy of unmarried girls/women and poverty in America is the held by the bible belt?

stdHeatMap_.jpg
Std rates

teen-birth-rates-by-state-2014-800px.jpg
Teen pregnancy

US_states_by_poverty_rate.svg.png
Poverty

ecco

Veteran Member
I believe that there should be no sex before marriage.

Dating should be viewed as a screening process. You are looking for your eternal mate.

Touching, hugging and even kissing are encouraged when appropriate.

Just be careful.

No sexual conduct of any kind should take place.

I personally would consider such conduct to be committing the sin of adultery. It does not matter if you are not yet married. You are cheating on your future eternal mate and they deserve to have you all to themselves.

I'm not 100% opposed to the idea of parents choosing partners, as long as it is agreed upon by all involved.

No one should be forced into a marriage.

On another note, not sure how relevant you would consider it, but I believe that all homosexual practices should be avoid and if committed repented of.

That would include the idea of "same-sex marriage".

It really isn't about "I believe" or "I personally" or "I believe" as it is about toeing the line as dictated by your religion.

Fortunately, in this supposedly secular country, we have thrown out many restrictive religious beliefs. Especially the belief that homosexuality is "wrong". At a minimum, 3% of humans are born as homosexuals. Nature doesn't care if these people are atheists, Hindus, or Latter-Day Saints. This means that about 500,000 LDS members are born gay.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
That is terrible!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

You missed "Of course, the consummation, Gauna - the girl going to the husbands place, happened many years later". The "bride" and "groom" lived with their own parents for many years after the "wedding". Ever see the Star Trek episode Amok Time? Spock and T'Pring were promised to each other by their parents when they were 7 years old. Spock called it less than a marriage, but more than a betrothal. Same thing in Indian arranged marriages.

JJ50

You missed "Of course, the consummation, Gauna - the girl going to the husbands place, happened many years later". The "bride" and "groom" lived with their own parents for many years after the "wedding". Ever see the Star Trek episode Amok Time? Spock and T'Pring were promised to each other by their parents when they were 7 years old. Spock called it less than a marriage, but more than a betrothal. Same thing in Indian arranged marriages.
Arranged marriages are EVIL, all countries should ban them.

Riders

My wife and I sometimes have sex outside of our marriage...

So it's all good as long as it's consensual. :)

Its an open relationship. They can work, as long as everyone is on board and everyone knows. I did have sex with a guy named O but his wife never did. But she had to be able to say yes to the person he wanted to be with or he couldn't do it. She and I were still are friends though we don't talk anymore. So she was ok with me he has permission to see me.Some would say that's s exist though.

But if there are no issues with jealousy it can work. Unfortunately I have seen the tv show Fatal Vows,theres a few open marriage cases where someone got killed because of jealousy.

...So whats you belief set on sex before marriage ...

I think people are married, when they have sex first time, because:

and said, 'For this cause a man shall leave his father and mother, and shall join to his wife; and the two shall become one flesh?' So that they are no more two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, don't let man tear apart."
Matt. 19:5-6

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Correction: they will not enter into "Christian heaven" ... fortunately there are other heavens ... with different rules.

Nope. Not a chance. And there will be many Old Testament Jews in that "so-called" Christian heaven also, based on Genesis 15:6, etc.
You seem to be "Omniscient" ... must be quite handy at times

Prestor John

It really isn't about "I believe" or "I personally" or "I believe" as it is about toeing the line as dictated by your religion.
I'm sure that there are those people who merely do what they are told, but you won't last long if that is the case.

The scriptures teach that we are to come to know the truths of the Gospel and related principles for ourselves.

You do that by testing the Word of God. You experiment by living according to His commandments and taking note of the blessings that flow.

I know for myself that nothing good comes from premarital sexual relations.

All children deserve to be born to parents who are legally and lawfully wedded as husband and wife.
Fortunately, in this supposedly secular country, we have thrown out many restrictive religious beliefs.
The kite appears to be restricted by the string, but once the string is cut the kite plummets to the ground.

The teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ give us the proper foundation to build our lives upon.
Especially the belief that homosexuality is "wrong".
Any sexual activity outside of marriage is sinful. Any homosexual activity or behavior is sinful. These are eternal truths.
At a minimum, 3% of humans are born as homosexuals.
It would be more accurate to say, "At a minimum, 3% of humans are born with a weakness towards same-sex attraction."

Homosexuality is a behavior. It requires activity. Simply having an attraction to the same-sex does not make someone guilty of homosexuality.

Just as someone being attracted to their neighbor's wife doesn't make them an adulterer.

Or someone attracted to children doesn't make them guilty of committing pedophilia.
Nature doesn't care if these people are atheists, Hindus, or Latter-Day Saints. This means that about 500,000 LDS members are born gay.
Human sexuality can be a crazy thing. We sometimes cannot explain why we are attracted to certain things or why something arouses us.

But no one commits the sin of homosexuality unless they act on their same-sex attraction and perform homosexual activities.

Just as a person who is attracted to a child is not guilty of pedophilia until they act on that attraction.

We all can overcome our weaknesses, including our inappropriate attractions, through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ.

He can make our weaknesses strengths.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
You don't need to be omniscient to understand the scriptures. You have to be biblically and spiritually challenged to dispute them.
That is your personal opinion. You are free to think that way.

If you declare that all other Scriptures can not be "the right path" then you have at least to:
a) Be Omniscient
b) "Know" from personal experience all other Scriptures not to be the right path
c) Blindly believe your interpretation of your scripture telling you "this scripture is the only right path"
d) Be gullible to believe others blindly telling you "The Bible/Jesus is the only way"

But as I have gone through this before, I decide:
I agree to disagree with you on this one

Last edited: