• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sewing Machine

evearael

I'm getting a sewing machine! I'm so happy! It's an Emerald 122 by Husqvarna Viking and it was completely out of my price range new, but I managed to find a classroom model that still has the full warranty. :bounce I can't wait until she's done cleaning and tuning it up. I want to be able to make and mend my own clothes and reupholster the couch. Does anyone else sew? I'm still very much a beginner, but there are quite a few amazing seamstresses in my family so I'm hoping I have a little of their talent.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Oy, I used to do it all the time, practically. Half of my wardrobe at one point was my own work and design, and no one knew unless I told them.

Haven't done it in a while, though, so I'm a bit out of practice. I designed and pieced together three dresses for Dana when she saw some designs she really liked.

BTW, nice machine! I have a solid Kenmore classic machine. I don't have a serger (I wish!). My sewing machine has given me my curtains, napkins, placemats, shirts, skirts, a few pants, dresses, and a quilt. :)

You crafty lady, you! I'm excited for you. :hug: I haven't been so inclined to re-upholster a couch with my machine, although I've done chairs simply with some fabric and a staple gun. LOL

Good luck!!

Peace,
Mystic

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
I couldn't sew my way out of a paper bag, to be honest, but I'm happy for you nevertheless. :)

Nanda

Polyanna
Yay for sewing machines! I need to get my Bernina fixed, I'm tired of sewing on the 20-year-old Singer Spartan. :(

evearael

I won't be able to afford a serger for quite a while. Maybe next year. :) That's great you've made so many things, Mystic! Napkins are going to be one of my first projects because they are simple and direly needed. My daughter burns through three of them each meal because she's a neat freak with a typical toddler's dexterity. I would love to make curtains and a bedding set... but I'm going to wait until after we make it to Nebraska. Their winters are so harsh that I'm going to get thick down comforters and make the duvet covers. I am really eager to make clothing for myself. I am really sick of clothes falling apart in less than six months of use. It will be much cheaper just to make them myself with good quality fabric and to take the extra time to get a strong seam. I want to make things for my daughter, but we just bought her 4T wardrobe so she won't need much for a while... though I may have fun making her something for Halloween. Quilting was really intimidating for me until I started to look at how they are constructed, now I'm eager to try it. :) The machine I'm getting doesn't have a very long arm, but it should be able to handle a small quilt. I will likely get another machine for quilting in a year or so, but for now I really wanted a sewing machine to handle everything from gauzy drapes to heavy denim. I'm also fascinated by embroidery. The machines they have now are incredible. You can hook them up to the computer and download free patterns or even create your own designs. I won't be getting one of those for a long time. They are quite expensive.

Nanda

Polyanna
I love it! It's a slightly older model, so it's all metal, not plastic. It sews like a dream - the stitches are amazingly even, and go through several thick layers of fabric with no problem. Unfortunately, it's in dire need of a tune-up at the moment, so I've been reduced to using my old Spartan.

evearael

:) We shall see... I'll have to figure out how to post pictures on here first. It will be a while until I have something worth posting because I tend to be a perfectionist with anything I create. I will remake a garment until it is gorgeous.