• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Seven Reasons Why We Should Not Accept Millions of Years"

Skwim

Veteran Member
The following is from Answers in Genesis, so its absurdity shouldn't come as any surprise. The "we" in the thread's title is obviously the choir, so no need to feel included (I doubt there are any AiG choir members here anyway . . . . . . . . . . . . . .are there?).

We Should Not Accept Millions of Years Because:

1. The Bible clearly teaches that God created in six literal, 24-hour days a few thousand years ago.

2. Exodus 20:11 blocks all attempts to fit millions of years into Genesis 1.

3. Noah’s Flood washes away millions of years.

4. Jesus was a young-earth creationist.

5. Belief in millions of years undermines the Bible’s teaching on death and on the character of God.

6. The idea of millions of years did not come from the scientific facts.

7. Radiometric dating methods do not prove millions of years.

Conclusion
These are just some of the reasons why we believe that the Bible is giving us the true history of the creation. God’s Word must be the final authority on all matters about which it speaks: not just the moral and spiritual matters, but also its teachings that bear on history, archeology, and science.

To give you a hint as to the reasoning in this piece of tripe, here is an explanation of reason number six.

"It was developed by deistic and atheistic geologists in the late 18th and early 19th century. These men used anti-biblical philosophical and religious assumptions to interpret the geological observations in a way that plainly contradicted the biblical account of Creation, the Flood, and the age of the earth. Most church leaders and scholars quickly compromised using the gap theory, day-age view, local flood view, and so on. to try to fit “deep time” into the Bible. But they did not understand the geological arguments, nor did they defend their views by careful Bible study. The “deep time” idea flows out of naturalistic assumptions, not scientific observations."

3829698500.gif
Tee Hee!

Anyway, for a short explanation of the other six reasons see HERE.

Last edited:

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
The Bible clearly teaches that God created in six literal, 24-hour days a few thousand years ago.

I find this one the most interesting, since implies that the Bible contains the concept of "literal", that of "24 hour days" and that of a specific age for the world. But the Bible doesn't mention any of those things... you have to "read them in" if you're gonna have them at all. If you are a literalist, shouldn't you be alarmed about adding so many modern concepts to "what the Bible says"?

I follow what they are saying about yom having a semantic menaing of dark and light, though I do not see how this meaning could be literal, if the sun has not been created yet. If we are following the Bible literally, doesn't it make more sense for yom to be an idea rather than an literal astronomical event that according to this very account couldn't possibly have happened yet?

I also have a problem with the lights being "literally" in the firmament rather than just figuratively in the sky. The sentence "the moon rises and sets" is true, but it is not literally true. We know that. We've set foot on the thing and brought back rock samples. This, to me, in now way makes the Genesis account less beautiful. But literalism kind of does make it less beautiful, going from a quite moving account of why we exist to an inaccurate textbook about how.

But I have never understood literalism anyway. Was raised by poets, not disciplinarians, and may be just be missing a few too many assumptions as a result.

Parsimony

Which just goes to demonstrate that they are not interested in evidence. If I'm remembering correctly, there was some prominent creationist who once said something to the effect of "even if all the evidence in the world pointed to evolution, I would still believe in creationism because that's what the Bible seems to teach". That paraphrase is admittedly about evolution and not specifically an old Earth, but it gets the point across. When a person thinks that their doctrines have the approval of divine authority, then that person is not going to seriously entertain the possibility that those doctrines might be wrong in one or more ways. I know it because I was there before.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
The following is from Answers in Genesis, so its absurdity shouldn't come as any surprise. The "we" in the thread's title is obviously the choir, so no need to feel included (I doubt there are any AiG choir members here . . . . . . . . are there?).

1. The Bible clearly teaches that God created in six literal, 24-hour days a few thousand years ago.

5. Belief in millions of years undermines the Bible’s teaching on death and on the character of God.

Conclusion
These are just some of the reasons why we believe that the Bible is giving us the true history of the creation. God’s Word must be the final authority on all matters about which it speaks: not just the moral and spiritual matters, but also its teachings that bear on history, archeology, and science.

To give you a hint as to the reasoning in the piece here is an explanation of reason number six.

"It was developed by deistic and atheistic geologists in the late 18th and early 19th century. These men used anti-biblical philosophical and religious assumptions to interpret the geological observations in a way that plainly contradicted the biblical account of Creation, the Flood, and the age of the earth. Most church leaders and scholars quickly compromised using the gap theory, day-age view, local flood view, and so on. to try to fit “deep time” into the Bible. But they did not understand the geological arguments, nor did they defend their views by careful Bible study. The “deep time” idea flows out of naturalistic assumptions, not scientific observations."

3829698500.gif
Tee Hee!

Anyway, for a short explanation of the other six reasons see HERE.

Anything passes for a reason these days.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Things like this make me sad, genuinely, deeply, truly sad. It's in times like this that I weep for the future of humanity.
Don't worry....such things have always been said.
But now, anyone who wants can understand so much more than ever before.
Science has advanced, information is more readily available, & the universe continues to become a more interesting place.
Sure, sure, there's junk out there.
Just accept that this always has been & always will be around.
And it's not getting worse.

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
Don't worry....such things have always been said.
But now, anyone who wants can understand so much more than ever before.
Science has advanced, information is more readily available, & the universe continues to become a more interesting place.
Sure, sure, there's junk out there.
Just accept that this always has been & always will be around.
And it's not getting worse.
That's true, if anything we're getting better. More people accept scientific findings and reject biblical accounts than every before (since the rise of Christianity). It just makes me sad that this kind of rejection of science in favor of religious doctrine still occurs as much as it does. I know it will probably never end, but a girl can dream.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's true, if anything we're getting better. More people accept scientific findings and reject biblical accounts than every before (since the rise of Christianity). It just makes me sad that this kind of rejection of science in favor of religious doctrine still occurs as much as it does. I know it will probably never end, but a girl can dream.
Progress....when I was a kid.....
- Prayer was required in public school.
- Abortion was illegal everywhere.
- Gov warred with commies because they're "godless".
- Public school teachers taught us Bible stories.

I became fairly anti-religion because of government forcing it upon me.
But things are better now, in part because I think Xians are better these days.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I find this one the most interesting, since implies that the Bible contains the concept of "literal", that of "24 hour days" and that of a specific age for the world. But the Bible doesn't mention any of those things... you have to "read them in" if you're gonna have them at all. If you are a literalist, shouldn't you be alarmed about adding so many modern concepts to "what the Bible says"?

I follow what they are saying about yom having a semantic menaing of dark and light, though I do not see how this meaning could be literal, if the sun has not been created yet. If we are following the Bible literally, doesn't it make more sense for yom to be an idea rather than an literal astronomical event that according to this very account couldn't possibly have happened yet?

I also have a problem with the lights being "literally" in the firmament rather than just figuratively in the sky. The sentence "the moon rises and sets" is true, but it is not literally true. We know that. We've set foot on the thing and brought back rock samples. This, to me, in now way makes the Genesis account less beautiful. But literalism kind of does make it less beautiful, going from a quite moving account of why we exist to an inaccurate textbook about how.

But I have never understood literalism anyway. Was raised by poets, not disciplinarians, and may be just be missing a few too many assumptions as a result.

Actually the ending of Exo 20:11 makes it very clear they meant seven actual days, - and not ages as some newer have reasoned.

Exo 20:11 For in six days YHVH made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore YHVH blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

It says YHVH rested on the seventh day and thus made it a holy day of rest, - the Sabbath. That shows they meant them as single days, and not an age.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Things like this make me sad, genuinely, deeply, truly sad. It's in times like this that I weep for the future of humanity.

Why? It's not like what one believes (or doesn't) about the origin of the universe has any relevance to people's day to day lives. I'd expect this sort of reaction if we were discussing the holocaust, but this? Come on, now.

Milton Platt

Doesn't it state that a day is an evening and a morning?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
and of course....we are living in the age of Day Eight....
and still are....

and I seem the only person over to notice!

Baladas

An Págánach
From their description of reason number 7: "Radiometric dating was not developed until the early 20th century, by which time the whole world had already accepted the millions of years."
And?
We could just as well say the same about any new scientific discovery.
What nonsense!

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

Conclusion
Translation:

1. Because the Bible says so.

2.Because the Bible says so.

3. Because the Bible says so.

4 Because the Bible says so.

5. Because the Bible says so.

6. We don't like science.

7. We don't like science.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Why six days, why not in six hours or six minutes or six seconds or six nanoseconds? Can anyone think of any reason? In Hinduism, the Lord just had to say "Ekoham, bahusyami" (I am one, let me be many) and lo! the whole creation materialized.

lā ḥawla wa lā quwwata illā billāh (There is no might nor change except in Allah).