• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seven deadly sins

Spiderman

Veteran Member
In the OT:
Proverbs 6:16-19, "These six things the Lord hates, yes, seven are an abomination to Him:

1. A proud look,
  2. a lying tongue,
  3. hands that shed innocent blood,
  4. A heart that devises wicked plans,
  5. feet that are swift in running to evil,
  6. A false witness who speaks lies,
  7. and one who sows discord among brethren.”
In the New Testament, the seven deadly sins are pride, lust, anger, covetousness, envy, sloth, and gluttony.

I can see healthy forms of pride, but other than that, doesn't your conscience naturally tell you such vices are wrong? Can't you agree that such vices can lead to destruction?

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
Describing human nature as sinful is woefully damaging. We are not meant to be perfect, nor perfectly outside of our human nature, for then we would cease to be human.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It seems Scriptures often just affirm what our conscience already tells us.

On the same token, there are Scriptures that simply go against my conscience. Better to go with my conscience... I think...

Scripture does however contain much wisdom.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Conscience tells some people one thing, other people something else. Not to be trusted.

One of my biggest beefs with Christianity and some other religions is that they too often teach people to repress their nature, rather than encourage them to learn how to deal skillfully with it. [/rant]

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
In the OT:
Proverbs 6:16-19, "These six things the Lord hates, yes, seven are an abomination to Him:

1. A proud look,
  2. a lying tongue,
  3. hands that shed innocent blood,
  4. A heart that devises wicked plans,
  5. feet that are swift in running to evil,
  6. A false witness who speaks lies,
  7. and one who sows discord among brethren.”
In the New Testament, the seven deadly sins are pride, lust, anger, covetousness, envy, sloth, and gluttony.

I can see healthy forms of pride, but other than that, doesn't your conscience naturally tell you such vices are wrong? Can't you agree that such vices can lead to destruction?
I think there's a point in psychological evolution where one's conscience does prompt positive behavior. But many are not there yet.