• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seven charts that show the world is actually becoming a better place

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

1: Life expectancy continues to rise
2: Child mortality continues to fall
3. Fertility rates are falling
4. GDP growth has accelerated in developed countries (China, India)
5. Global income inequality has gone down (level of abject poverty, inequality rising within countries)
6. More people are living in democracies (China is a notable exception, of course)
7. Conflicts are on the decline (big power conflicts, death toll)

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

5. Global income inequality has gone down (level of abject poverty, inequality rising within countries)
6. More people are living in democracies (China is a notable exception, of course)

Some good info. Overall, I would say the world has improved over the past 500 or so years. Even prior to WW1, one can show marked improvement, although that was before the World Wars and the Cold War. Even then, despite the wars, life still improved overall in the world.

Of course, there's also the downside, since all these improvements came about through expansion of industry and technology, along with the increased utilization of energy resources and the resulting emissions which contribute to climate change.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

I would say the world has improved when it comes to worldly belongings and in a mundane lifestyle, but it has deteriorated rapidly when it comes to a spiritual lifestyle. Less and fewer people care about how to actually become spiritually better beings

PureX

Veteran Member
Functionality has improved greatly. Sadly, however, our level of wisdom has not. And has probably decreased. The ease and distraction generated by material manipulation has not served to increase our interest in defining and obtaining any higher ideals. In fact, I suspect they have served far more effectively as an impediment. And we need to change this, soon, or we are going to manipulate ourselves right out of existence.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Its all how you spin it.

Higher Life expectancy mean's more overpopulation, more greenhouse gases, less food and an overall less satisfying life.
Child mortality continues to fall because less children are being born causing a elderly class with no one to support them.
Fertility rates are falling see above.
GDP growth has accelerated in developed countries at the expensive of less developed countries and more developed countries also at the expensive of the environment.
Global income inequality has go down in poor countries yet is at it highest in rich countries
Democracy has nothing to do with the world be better. Government and people need to support world growth and more governments are isolating.
Conflicts are on decline, Physical only the new world order takes advantage of technology and psychological warfare.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

I tried to explain this to another member recently but this article puts data all conveniently in one click. Thanks for sharing!

exchemist

Veteran Member

Ah so this is Hans Rosling, I see. I thought it might be.

It's true that one can easily lose sight of the underlying rate of improvement in people's lives, worldwide.

Wandering Monk

Its all how you spin it.

Higher Life expectancy mean's more overpopulation, more greenhouse gases, less food and an overall less satisfying life.

The UN projects that world population growth will reach its peak by the end of the century at about 11.2 billion people.

Future Population Growth

The average daily supply of calories per person globally has increased 23% since 1961, a trend that has not yet reached its peak.

upload_2019-12-29_12-24-39.png

Happiness continues to rise globally:

Happiness and Life Satisfaction

Child mortality continues to fall because less children are being born causing a elderly class with no one to support them.

When child mortality rates are reported as a ratio of population rather than raw numbers, you can see that the percentage (percent means 'per hundred') of children that die before age five has decreased dramatically on a global basis.

upload_2019-12-29_12-35-33.png

Fertility rates are falling see above.

Yes, and this is reflected in the slowing rate of world population growth.

upload_2019-12-29_12-48-54.png

Global income inequality has go down in poor countries yet is at it highest in rich countries

And yet the UN projects that global extreme poverty will be eliminated by 2030.

upload_2019-12-29_12-42-1.png

Democracy has nothing to do with the world be better. Government and people need to support world growth and more governments are isolating.
Conflicts are on decline, Physical only the new world order takes advantage of technology and psychological warfare.

For God's sake!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I would say the world has improved when it comes to worldly belongings and in a mundane lifestyle, but it has deteriorated rapidly when it comes to a spiritual lifestyle. Less and fewer people care about how to actually become spiritually better beings
Hmmm....it would seem that less spirituality correlates with increased
income, population control, less violence, & more democracy.
Would spirituality be the problem?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Hmmm....it would seem that less spirituality correlates with increased
income, population control, less violence, & more democracy.
Would spirituality be the problem?
Not many going to see it the way i do, and i respect others will disagree with my view.
If you look at the human world and how it is based upon economy and wealth as a measure for success or failure, and if someone thinks that is what is good in the world. Spiritual lifestyle is totally opposite, money, fame and so on do not help to become more spiritual/morally good. only spiritual practice can truly elevate someone in morality.
Because fame, money, high jobs often lead to greed, jealousy, and other attachments to this world, but when we can let well the attachments to all this human-created " living" then it does not matter if we have a lot of money or not, because it does not affect our spiritual life.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not many going to see it the way i do, and i respect others will disagree with my view.
If you look at the human world and how it is based upon economy and wealth as a measure for success or failure, and if someone thinks that is what is good in the world. Spiritual lifestyle is totally opposite, money, fame and so on do not help to become more spiritual/morally good. only spiritual practice can truly elevate someone in morality.
Because fame, money, high jobs often lead to greed, jealousy, and other attachments to this world, but when we can let well the attachments to all this human-created " living" then it does not matter if we have a lot of money or not, because it does not affect our spiritual life.
I don't actually see any way to measure spirituality,
so my correlation was merely mischief.

Is there any age when we didn't obsess over something non-spiritual?
If it weren't wealth, it would've been survival or conquest.

Wandering Monk

What is good in the world is reduced hunger, infant mortality, and illiteracy. These are all declining. Aren't these the goals of most religions? Seems like the world is making real progress in these areas.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I would love to see them. Then we can compare their methodology.

Sorry, it's one of the major problems I have with people. They only seek out data that confirms there views. The refute any thing negative. To learn you need to seek the data yourself. It can't be force fed.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
You did not name your preferred alternative.

It is complicated, the big three current forms of government as well as some of the ones of the past with the right kind of leadership would all work. Mostly it requires getting money out of the government and insuring multiple types or representation for the multiple types of people.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
A polarized democratic society where nothing can be done is worthless

"Nothing can be done" is hyperbole, I don't know of any such democracy. The US is pretty politically divided, yet we "do things" both individually and as a country. Eliminating the democratic features of our society wouldn't make things better, it would make them worse.

So, again, what non-democratic alternative would you prefer?

or one where there is no division of leadership,

That could be problematic, but most modern democracies have such division as far as I'm aware. And again, eliminating the democratic features of any society where that's not the case would only exacerbate the issue.