• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Setting a goal for healthy food (Vegan)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In the quest for better health, I did check a bit about how much added sugar I had in the food I did eat before, and I found it is way too much. so this can be one reason I experience loss of health in the last year. So in discussion with doctor, we come up with the solution to not add sugar to the food, but of course, eat vegan food with natural sugar (fructose ).

So in this process, there will no longer be any sweets or candy :)

Are you good at being aware of what you eat each day?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
When I'm hungry I shovel food into my mouth

And when I'm full I stop

It's as simple as that

Whatever I have in my possession I will eventually eat regardless of how healthy it is or isn't

I therefore need to ensure that I only have healthy food in my possession, to save me from myself

I've tried going vegan and managed to for a few weeks - but then lapsed into vegetarianism and then back into being an omnivore :(

But someday I will become vegan again

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
When I'm hungry I shovel food into my mouth

And when I'm full I stop

It's as simple as that

Whatever I have in my possession I will eventually eat regardless of how healthy it is or isn't

I therefore need to ensure that I only have healthy food in my possession, to save me from myself

I've tried going vegan and managed to for a few weeks - but then lapsed into vegetarianism and then back into being an omnivore :(

But someday I will become vegan again
Since I am already a vegetarian I think the transition not going to be too difficult :) But i have heard of people who manage a few weeks and give up. But that is not an option for me since my health is not very good right now.

You know something is a bit off when your doctor look at the screen and say "Holy crap your cholesterol is WAYYYY too high" :eek:

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Since I am already a vegetarian I think the transition not going to be too difficult :) But i have heard of people who manage a few weeks and give up. But that is not an option for me since my health is not very good right now.

You know something is a bit off when your doctor look at the screen and say "Holy crap your cholesterol is WAYYYY too high" :eek:
I know someone with a family history of diabetes who was borderline diabetic

She became vegan and they did another diabetic check on her a few months later

She had lost many kilos of weight and was nowhere near diabetic, become vegan turned her health around

I also like the feeling of eating plant-based food, it feels more wholesome and ethical than eating stuff with meat or dairy/eggs in

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I know someone with a family history of diabetes who was borderline diabetic

She became vegan and they did another diabetic check on her a few months later

She had lost many kilos of weight and was nowhere near diabetic, become vegan turned her health around

I also like the feeling of eating plant-based food, it feels more wholesome and ethical than eating stuff with meat or dairy/eggs in
I really like this video explaining plant-based eating and health

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In the quest for better health, I did check a bit about how much added sugar I had in the food I did eat before, and I found it is way too much. so this can be one reason I experience loss of health in the last year. So in discussion with doctor, we come up with the solution to not add sugar to the food, but of course, eat vegan food with natural sugar (fructose ).

Yes, I'm very aware. We did a detailed study many years ago, and tried to change the habits enough so that we don't have to think about it. An excessive focus on it isn't necessary or healthy either. It becomes an addiction. For example, we have no straight sugar in the house, never buy soft drinks, and stuff like that. (My poor Dad, not knowing that, once arose before everyone, and put salt in his coffee.)

But natural sugar can also be excessive. Certain sweet fruits are loaded ... in that case moderation is key. Don't gobble 6 mangoes in one sitting.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Save ensuring what I eat contains no flesh, I don't pay much attention to any content besides protein, because as a vegetarian, I do feel the need to supplement my protein intake.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I really like this video explaining plant-based eating and health
Thanks for sharing this inspiring youtube. Proper food for me is the best alternative to avoid becoming a Big Pharma customer

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm going to take the opportunity for a shameless plug that Burger King® rolled out the Impossible™ Whopper® yesterday nationally, which replaces the original 100% beef Whopper® patty with a plant based 0% beef Impossible™ patty that tastes like meat.

Yes, the patty is vegan.

leov

Avoid fruit juice, rather eat a whole fruit.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

We eat carefully in that we use fresh, unprocessed food (and chocolate). Most food is cooked without salt of which we use very little, the exception being pasta which ideally should be cooked in sea water. Sugar is also little used except in cakes and biscuits. We don't do fast food at all.

Eldest daughter is vegetarian but eats fish, dairy and eggs.

As for health, we all exercise a lot, long walks, bike rides, a home gym but our diet hasn't stopped my husband getting prostate cancer at a very early age (46) and me getting gallstones.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
We eat carefully in that we use fresh, unprocessed food (and chocolate). Most food is cooked without salt of which we use very little, the exception being pasta which ideally should be cooked in sea water. Sugar is also little used except in cakes and biscuits. We don't do fast food at all.

Eldest daughter is vegetarian but eats fish, dairy and eggs.

As for health, we all exercise a lot, long walks, bike rides, a home gym but our diet hasn't stopped my husband getting prostate cancer at a very early age (46) and me getting gallstones.
It is sad to hear about your husband. But my family has a history of prostate cancer, so maybe he was exposed to it by heritage and not because of healthy eating?

Vee

Premium Member

I don't eat processed food. My meals are home made with ingredients I pick up mostly from local markets. That's clean enough for me.
It takes some time and work, but it pays off both in terms of heath and financially.

ChristineM

Premium Member
It is sad to hear about your husband. But my family has a history of prostate cancer, so maybe he was exposed to it by heritage and not because of healthy eating?

There is no history that we know of. But going through the list of likely causes it looks to be genetic. Lucky the cure rate has increased dramatically in the last few years and its looking good for hubby.

On that subject i recommend that all men have a blood test to check PSA at 45 years old, although 50 is recommended, a small number of men can develop it early.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
There is no history that we know of. But going through the list of likely causes it looks to be genetic. Lucky the cure rate has increased dramatically in the last few years and its looking good for hubby.

On that subject i recommend that all men have a blood test to check PSA at 45 years old, although 50 is recommended, a small number of men can develop it early.
I so agree with you on this. Because male in my family has had prostate cancer the last generation I am sure to test my self often and last week I got the result back that was negative for cancer in my body.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

For both moral and environmental reasons I am making an effort to eat a more plant-based diet. I pretty much don't eat red meat or pork at all anymore. I don't know that I'll go fully vegan but I am considering being vegetarian or at least pescatarian.

My bigger day to day issue is having the discipline to meal prep. That's my downfall. When my partner and I don't meal prep, we inevitably eat out because we don't want to cook daily after work. But we have a goal to be better about it! :)

ChristineM

Premium Member
I so agree with you on this. Because male in my family has had prostate cancer the last generation I am sure to test my self often and last week I got the result back that was negative for cancer in my body.

I did a thread on prostate cancer, its just about dead now but have just updated with hubbies progress
Prostate Cancer