• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Serving Satan

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
"If you don't serve my God, you serve Satan"

I've heard this line more than once from certain groups. Do you agree with this statement, or is it hurtful and detrimental to the user's overall message and to whom it is said?

linwood

Maize said:

I've heard this line more than once from certain groups. Do you agree with this statement, or is it hurtful and detrimental to the user's overall message and to whom it is said?
The comment is irrelevant and only comes from someone so ignorantly blinded by his own theology you should wonder why you are speaking to him in the first place.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I don't think it's irrelevent, Linwood. I certianly don't agree with it, but given someone's theology of only one true church, religion or god, I can see how they would come up with this idea and belief. My question was, does telling someone this of another faith do any good for converting them, or does it simply push them farther away seeing the person as arrogant?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
It is not necessarily true, but depending on how one defines servitude it tends to be. If one argues against Christianity one is, wittingly or not, aiding the cause of Lucifer.

robtex

Veteran Member
Maize I get that one a lot too. Down here in Texas. Lot of God fearing folk here. Had a 27 year old friend and she thought everything one did was either an act of God or Satan. I asked her if she had free will and she said yes but if she made a good decision it would help God and a bad one would help Satan. Ironcially she was finshing her last year of college with a degree in management. I have met others before too that felt that indivuduals had free will but all decsions helped one or the other.

Linus

Maize said:
does telling someone this of another faith do any good for converting them, or does it simply push them farther away seeing the person as arrogant?
I don't think that a statement like that does any good in coverting them to christianity because it turns them off. But I do think that it is the truth in that anything that is not from God (good, right, pure) is from satan (evil, wrong, impure). There is no middle ground with God, no grey areas. IMO.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Maize said:

Short answer: No. It hurts the person/group.

Long answer, I i believe things like one God, one Church, one Christ, etc. It is true, that when someone isn't serving the Christ in His Church, the two interests cannot be the same simply by definition. Christ did say, "whoever does not sow scatters, etc."

That doesn't mean that the person is actively deciding to "serve Satan." It is human nature to want to do good, and not evil. None of us want to be on the "evil" side of the fence. Telling someone that they're serving Satan, then, is a judgement on their motives, and most people do honestly believe what they say.

So, doing that gets in the way of any fruitful dialogue between two groups IMO and should generally be discouraged. After all, who am I more likely to have a meaninful discussion with: the guy that I treat nice, eat pizza with, and shoot the bull with, or the one that I approach as a servant of Satan?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Maize said:

I'm not sure i believe this...actually i don't believe that lol. It's making the presumption that there are two sides when in fact all sides work toward His ends.

Lintu

Mister Emu said:
It is not necessarily true, but depending on how one defines servitude it tends to be. If one argues against Christianity one is, wittingly or not, aiding the cause of Lucifer.

Um, no.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Maize writes:"If you don't serve my God, you serve Satan"

I do not agree with this statement. I do not think it is hurtful to the user (I UNDERSTAND why they say that) but I think it does a great DISservice to “their” God to think He needs us to “act” good or to serve Him in an particularly accurate manner.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I've heard the argument that other religions, like Wicca and Judaism and others, have more in common with Christianity than with Satanism. I would think that this argument would only serve to drive others away from Christianity (or any other religion that might use this argument). It's funny, now that I think about it, because so many other religions don't believe in Satan, or even the concept of evil or hell.

linwood

FeathersinHair said:
It's funny, now that I think about it, because so many other religions don't believe in Satan, or even the concept of evil or hell.

It`s even funnier when you realise that Satanists don`t even believe in Satan.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
It`s even funnier when you realise that Satanists don`t even believe in Satan.
Depends on the Satanist you talk to, the one who lived across from my brother a while back served Lucifer, Believed everything in the Bible except the end, he thought in the end Satan was going to win. Then on another forum there was a satanist who followed Lucifer, he said Satan wants to prove to God that he can run a good group of people too, so they had a set of morals exactly the same as a Christian.

Edit:

Um, yes.

Runt

Anyone who tries to convince me to join their religion by telling me that I am "serving" Satan is going to find that this is not going to do a single thing to persuade me... unless I am very young or very ignorant (and therefore incredibly succeptible to "boogyman" stories). I have been far more persuaded by religions that take a "Your way is good, but mine is better, and here's why" approach than those that try to argue that I am serving some mythical being that I can neither sense or logically believe in. However, even the "your way is good but mine is better" argument fails to attract me. I think everyone should come to religion on their own, rather than other people trying to herd them into believing this or that.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Mr Emu... what if we are just trying to make Christians stronger and better able to defend thier views than just saying 'the bible says so'?
I hardly think that I or any other good person is realy helping 'satan' by questioning Christianity. ;)
But if it makes Christians feel better about themselves.

wa:do

Lintu

You can think what you like about those of us who aren't Christians, but please don't try to tell us who we worship. I personally don't think that Jesus Christ is the Messiah, but I'm not going to go around telling Christians that they worship a false god. Jesus isn't a false god to Christians, and that's what matters...it's what your various belief systems mean to you.

If someone chooses to live a better life due to belief in Judaism, Wicca, native spirituality, Hinduism, Islam, secular humanism, or just plain old compassion...why condemn?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Mr Emu... what if we are just trying to make Christians stronger and better able to defend thier views than just saying 'the bible says so'?
I hardly think that I or any other good person is realy helping 'satan' by questioning Christianity.
Hmm I stated that badly, If you argue with the intention of lowering or ending a person or group of persons faith in Christ than you are by default aiding Satan's cause. With that I would like to thank everyone here for their questioning, for it has helped me refine my faith(even if that was not your intention :) )

please don't try to tell us who we worship
I didn't try to tell anyone who they worshipped, I said if you don't serve God you tend to serve Satan's cause(even if it is unwittingly).