• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Service

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Do you try to be of service to those around you?

Do you stop and offer help to strangers?

Is service to others important to your religious beliefs? If so, are there
any caveats to helping someone from your religious standpoint.

Does service to others require suspension of one's Ego?

Koldo

Outstanding Member

I am a strong believer in reciprocity. I don't go out of my way to help people that don't go out of their way to help me. Get what I am saying?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I am a strong believer in reciprocity. I don't go out of my way to help people that don't go out of their way to help me. Get what I am saying?

So, it's all about whether another can do for you?

Or do you help, with expectations of a reward/return investment?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

It is important for us all, to have a civilised society. I've always done voluntary work when able; with those suffering from drug and alcohol abuse, people with a disabilty and those suffering from dementia.
Ego? I could abuse drugs or alcohol, I could have a disability or I could have dementia. I am everyone else and everyone else is me.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I volunteer at the temple I attend, and will offer help to new people. Temples and churches often run on volunteerism. For example, the Board of Trustees at any religious organisation is generally either unpaid, or given an honorarium for expenses. So many religions would be 'lost' without volunteerism. Yes it is important to my belief. In Sanskrit it's called charya, or seva.

Ego can come up, but since there is not much personal reward to it, there isn't a lot of ego. That does depend on the person though. I was once the president of said temple, but there was no election or anything. The constitution says 7 members are elected, and then those 7 choose the president. We went around the table twice with everyone saying no. On the third ask, I shrugged, and said 'okay'. The treasurer often does the most work.

As to strangers, I'd assess the situation by observation or gut. I have given strangers battery boosts.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

Yes, yes, yes, yes, no.

Truth in love

We are big on service. I have very rarely given money to people on the street. Years back we lived on a busy street and people would stop by asking for help. We would send them on their way with food clothes etc.

I help out in various ways, give money to charity, donate time and stuff. The format has varied over the years.

No real caveats except that giving should be freely chosen and I try to not give help in a way that is high risk for abuse.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
So, it's all about whether another can do for you?

Or do you help, with expectations of a reward/return investment?

Not really. Let me put it this way: I can easily give a hand to others, but both of my arms? That takes something extra.

gnomon

I do not participate in services to others such as helping out at a shelter or some other example.

I've given rides to strangers when they need help. Yeah, not safe I know. I've opened up my wallet to people to help buy them food. I help my mother, very involved in her church, with helping others even though I'm an atheist. I think religious service isn't so much about specific beliefs in regards to God but about community support.