• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Service to Self, or Selfishness

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
are service to self types hypocrites? they want service but don't want to be of service? having two rules, one for self and another rule for others?

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
It might be more helpful to distinguish between Self and ego.

If you have a damaged self, you cannot properly help others, even if you pretend to. For example, Theresa of Calcutta felt deeply unloved and abandoned by God. So she started collecting the unloved and abandoned around her, without actually doing anything to improve their situation. The same is with the people who hoard animals while telling themselves that they "save" them, IMHO.

PureX

Veteran Member
The difference between greed and ambition is the difference between wanting to increase one's own lot by increasing everyone's, and wanting to increase one's own lot at the expense of everyone else's.

And I see this as the difference between service to self and selfishness. The former serves self by serving all. The latter serves oneself in disregard to all else.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
It might be more helpful to distinguish between Self and ego.

If you have a damaged self, you cannot properly help others, even if you pretend to. For example, Theresa of Calcutta felt deeply unloved and abandoned by God. So she started collecting the unloved and abandoned around her, without actually doing anything to improve their situation. The same is with the people who hoard animals while telling themselves that they "save" them, IMHO.
that distinction is nothing but a choice imposed by the self

Synonyms of self | Thesaurus.com

once the infinite I is understood there is no distinction

the mind is infinite even if the body/form manifests as limited

the thunder perfect mind

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Perhaps it might be appropriate in this context, to draw a distinction between Self and self?

that is a choice that the self chooses. to create the illusion of separation/distinction by differences in vibration/form. the more distinct the separation or the greater the force of deluding is accepted and the greater the force of union/assimilation draws/pulls. so then the anxiety arises to resolve the difference within/without.

so then the more the ego/personality defines itself as separate the more it wants union with the illusion of other as self.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I will hide the very short chapter of the Dhammapada--Attavagga: The Self--behind spoiler tags.

You might not like what Buddha has to say about it.
"Easy to do are things that are bad and harmful to oneself. But exceedingly difficult to do are things that are good and beneficial." Yet, you gotta do it. Difficult, indeed, is self-control.
157. If one holds oneself dear, one should diligently watch oneself. Let the wise man keep vigil during any of the three watches of the night.

158. One should first establish oneself in what is proper; then only should one instruct others. Thus the wise man will not be reproached.

159. One should do what one teaches others to do; if one would train others, one should be well controlled oneself. Difficult, indeed, is self-control.

160. One truly is the protector of oneself; who else could the protector be? With oneself fully controlled, one gains a mastery that is hard to gain.

161. The evil a witless man does by himself, born of himself and produced by himself, grinds him as a diamond grinds a hard gem.

162. Just as a single creeper strangles the tree on which it grows, even so, a man who is exceedingly depraved harms himself as only an enemy might wish.

163. Easy to do are things that are bad and harmful to oneself. But exceedingly difficult to do are things that are good and beneficial.

164. Whoever, on account of perverted views, scorns the Teaching of the Perfected Ones, the Noble and Righteous Ones — that fool, like the bamboo, produces fruits only for self destruction. [14]

165. By oneself is evil done; by oneself is one defiled. By oneself is evil left undone; by oneself is one made pure. Purity and impurity depend on oneself; no one can purify another.

166. Let one not neglect one's own welfare for the sake of another, however great. Clearly understanding one's own welfare, let one be intent upon the good.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If you have a damaged self, you cannot properly help others,
Unfortunately we lack a middle finger emote/smiley thingy. Maybe I shouldn't be so upfront, but you seem convinced by this absurdity. You've probably never heard of the wounded healer type given that statement of yours.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Unfortunately we lack a middle finger emote/smiley thingy. Maybe I shouldn't be so upfront, but you seem convinced by this absurdity. You've probably never heard of the wounded healer type given that statement of yours.

I agree with their statement.
You might be able to help wounded, but not early as well as if you healed yourself first.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I agree with their statement.
You might be able to help wounded, but not early as well as if you healed yourself first.
It's like that you claim you have to love yourself before you can love another. That's just wrong and I'm certain the world has a whole bunch if people who hate themselves but do love others.
You can help people just fine even when you are very damaged and broken yourself. I've even seen where those who are broken are better at it than those who aren't.
People can be functionally broken, just as someone can be a functional addict. It does more harm than good in the long run to assume how someone must be when a given condition applies.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I agree. To love someone wholly flaws and all, you must accept (ie love) yourself as well, flaws and all. That's true love.
That is just not true. You can indeed love others while hating yourself. It's pretty cruel as well to tell people they can't love someone.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
That is just not true. You can indeed love others while hating yourself. It's pretty cruel as well to tell people they can't love someone.

You can love someone and be broken. But it requires loving/accepting ones flaws. You're just picking at hairs.

How can you expect someone to provide you the love you can't provide yourself? That's truly unfair and cruel to ones partner. Making them accept things you yourself hate.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You can love someone and be broken. But it requires loving/accepting ones flaws. You're just picking at hairs.

How can you expect someone to provide you the love you can't provide yourself? That's truly unfair and cruel to ones partner. Making them accept things you yourself hate.
You don't have to expect others to love things about you that you yourself hate. Often times things hated about the self are kept secret from the world anyways.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
You don't have to expect others to love things about you that you yourself hate. Often times things hated about the self are kept secret from the world anyways.

If they can't love all of you, is it love? I hide nothing from a lover.

Edited

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And on that I will vehemently disagree
And saying that is to say people who have loved and known love haven't really known either.
I would say loving someone who loves you--despite there being something you hate about yourself--can even help to overcome that self hatred.
True love is unconditional. @Shadow Wolf
Yes. I have been through some hardships with people. But it didn't mean love wasn't involved. I have loved others unconditionally even though I have never had much love for myself.