• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Servants - yes or no?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Supporting? No, you mean oppressing!
They need money, yet you don't just hand it out freely.
You expect them to perform some service for it...how degrading!

I know -my bad.

"They wanted the job and I've got it
I'm willing to pay them a bunch.
But somehow life ain't like they thought it -
In the real world, there ain't no free lunch."

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Im pretty late to the discussion but:

As far as servants being a lower caste of persons who are forced to work for me, sort of like slaves maybe, then no. As far as people who do various things to serve me and they are paid then yes.

In fact, I would love to have a butler, British of course and he would become one of my dear friends, we would share in each others ups and downs in life and he would also bring me a drink or my shoes on occasion as well when he isn't keeping the house. A maid would be nice too, French naturally. It would be like a sitcom with us, it would :D

EDIT: and actually, I am a bit of a fan of the ancient Greek version of slavery which involved being a slave for a set period of time to pay off a debt, or to earn money. Apparently some Men went from poor man to noble through the route of voluntary slavery. The point is that it is voluntary.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

As far as servants being a lower caste of persons who are forced to work for me, sort of like slaves maybe, then no. As far as people who do various things to serve me and they are paid then yes.

In fact, I would love to have a butler, British of course and he would become one of my dear friends, we would share in each others ups and downs in life and he would also bring me a drink or my shoes on occasion as well when he isn't keeping the house.
He could also shine the Batmobile.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
He could also shine the Batmobile.

Yes! And assuming I have the money to require and pay a butler and maid makes it a safe assumption that I would also have the money to buy a Batmobile.

I want my butler to be named "Jeffery". All my ideas about butlers have been influenced by Fresh Prince and The Nanny :shrug:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes! And assuming I have the money to require and pay a butler and maid makes it a safe assumption that I would also have the money to buy a Batmobile.
I want my butler to be named "Jeffery". All my ideas about butlers have been influenced by Fresh Prince and The Nanny :shrug:
I couldn't find an appropriate car, so here is my offering for.....The Dreadmobile
odd_donkey_dreadlocks.jpg

LongGe123

How do you intend I do that? If you can't follow the presented argument and instead argue with responses directed at other people and your own strawman arguments that how should I effectively respond?

You could start with the questions I asked you in the post you were responding to when you said this.

Alceste

Vagabond

In fact, I would love to have a butler, British of course and he would become one of my dear friends, we would share in each others ups and downs in life and he would also bring me a drink or my shoes on occasion as well when he isn't keeping the house. A maid would be nice too, French naturally. It would be like a sitcom with us, it would :D

P. G. Wodehouse? Is that you?

I need to call some servants - oops, I mean a lawncare company - to come mow my grass while I'm on vacation.

I also need to get a servant - oops, I mean an oil change technician - to change the oil in my car.

Then I'm going to get a servant - oops, I mean a stylist - to cut and style my hair.

And today I've lined up a servant - oops, I mean a massage therapist - to give me a massage.

Look how many local jobs and companies I'm supporting!

:) Words are meaningless when they fall on deaf ears.

Your response is cute but lacks empathy. I honestly don't know if you don't see the argument or if you do and just want to justify a particular point of view whether it is a view you believe in or not.

I will try a summation... Walmart is close to or is the majority employer in america. Its employees are mostly (more that 50%) on food stamps. They rely on government healthcare and medicaid when available because the employer does not provide it. Their employer could provide it and still be insanely profitable but they choose not too.

You as a citizen can not choose not to support these employees for being stupid enough to work at walmart. Thanks to Ronald Reagan they can go to any emergency room and wrack up $100,000 medical bills and not pay a dime and the hospitals will then pass on that cost to you and your insurance companies and you still point at those workers as the problem.

I pay for lawn care and they do a great job and all have health care and are a small local business. Is it wrong to mindfully spend your money on people and companies who pay their employees fair wages, provide health care and a retirement 401 or pension which is similar to what I also enjoy?

Or should I support corporate profits at the expense of the well being of the people who live in my town and state? Lazy argument IMHO but you do what you gotta do.

Last edited:

Maija

What do you think of the idea of having servants?

If you could afford it , would you have them?

I am thinking of servants such as butlers, cleaners, chefs, door openers etc..

Would you really want to have these people in your home attending to your every need, and what do you think of those people that have such staff?

another question, should they be allowed at all in the first place?

My family has had household help, for i.e. when we lived out of the US.
Providing they are paid well for what they do, I certainly do not see a reason why they should not be allowed providing they are not force into any unreasonable amount of work, harm, pay.

Draka

Wonder Woman
No for servent is just another word for slave.

No, a servant is an employee. One whom is paid and may even receive good benefits and so on. A slave is not paid (they are "owned") and is treated no better than a work animal. Like a horse in a stable (only the horse may be treated better). That some people can't tell the difference here really says something.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Yet another example of a controversy that exists mostly because different people see different things in the same word.

The true question IMO is what exactly amounts to being capable of affording a servant. Not too many people give their hired help the measure of respect and consideration that they truly deserve, or even realize that they do not.

Servants can be legitimally had. But it is supposed to be very difficult to be up to that goal.