• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Separation of Religion and Education

Altfish

Veteran Member
In the ideal world schools would teach about religions (notice the plural there) and non-religion BUT not preach a religion.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
My kids are grown with kids of their own. I was always adamant that the schools be educators and not evangelists of any religion or religious theme. It's not their business. period. As far as kids apparel choices, as long as they are not proselytizing or brutalizing others it's, IMHO, their business.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
In the ideal world schools would teach about religions (notice the plural there) and non-religion BUT not preach a religion.

To what purpose? Religion as a subject and as a practice is highly subjective and fluid. There are others things that would be better served taught in schools.

Altfish

Veteran Member
To what purpose? Religion as a subject and as a practice is highly subjective and fluid. There are others things that would be better served taught in schools.
It teaches you about how the world ticks, it is history, it is politics, it explains many conflicts and it is also VERY interesting.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
It teaches you about how the world ticks, it is history, it is politics, it explains many conflicts and it is also VERY interesting.

I believe the role of religions in historical events can be properly broached in the overall teaching of said historical events. As a separate subject it, IMHO, would be somewhat muddled and a tremendous waste of time and space.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I believe the role of religions in historical events can be properly broached in the overall teaching of said historical events. As a separate subject it, IMHO, would be somewhat muddled and a tremendous waste of time and space.
Maybe, but certainly a knowledge of what people believe or don't believe is a useful tool for life.
I don't care how it is wrapped up at school but it should be taught somewhere.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Maybe, but certainly a knowledge of what people believe or don't believe is a useful tool for life.
I don't care how it is wrapped up at school but it should be taught somewhere.

As an elective maybe. I had to take a comparison religion course in college ( the only philosophy course they had). It was taught by a very intelligent, very objective local Rabbi. By the time I reached college level I was mature enough to understand the subject and knew what questions to ask. If I had to take a course like this in high school I'm afraid it would have polarized me.

joe1776

Great teachers hope that their students will surpass them. The only way that can happen is for teachers to encourage their students to develop the habit of unbiased doubt about the instruction they are offered and accept nothing on faith.

So, you have a very basic conflict between education and religion that is far more important than hanging an "In God We Trust" sign on the wall.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Bentonville, Pea Ridge schools to display 'In God We Trust' posters

What do you think about "In God We Trust" signs hanging in schools,
It's a problem.

after school programs (like Christian study groups and After School Satan),
If it's student-driven, there's no preferential treatment toward particilar religions, and all the school's rules and policies are being followed, no problem.

If it's teacher- or school-driven, it's a problem.

If only certain religions are allowed to have clubs, it's a problem.

If normal school rules are being broken (e.g. adult volunteers don't have to go through normal criminal background checks, or the club segregates the boys and girls), it's a problem.

and wearing shirts/jewelry with religious imagery?
Don't wear dangly jewelry in gym or shop class. Other than that, it's fine.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Religion is a critical topic to understand quite a bit of history and sociology. So it needs to be taught in some form or another.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Bentonville, Pea Ridge schools to display 'In God We Trust' posters

What do you think about "In God We Trust" signs hanging in schools, after school programs (like Christian study groups and After School Satan), and wearing shirts/jewelry with religious imagery?
If the intent was really to hang the signs of the National motto, but I doubt the same schools would be eager to do so, if the motto were different. Pure speculation here on my part, but I think we have bigger fish to fry in our education system. While separation of religion and state is no small matter this seems to be more of an attempt of exploiting a loophole to say gotcha.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Religion is a critical topic to understand quite a bit of history and sociology. So it needs to be taught in some form or another.

Soooo....for the last...oh....150 years or so we who attended schools haven't a clue?

tytlyf

Not Religious
The dominionists are attempted this if FL too. Never put the bible above the constitution. That's a no-no in a secular society. Un-American too. If you want to have religion all over your school, go to a private religious school.

Americans have the right to Freedom From Religion.

Last edited: