1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sensible Savant

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Phaedrus, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Phaedrus

Phaedrus Active Member

Ratings:
    +350
    Religion:
    Anti-theist
    I have decided to create a journal in order to keep track of the thoughts that are constantly running through my mind. Unfortunately, I have one of those minds that never rests while I am conscious.

I thought that I would start with Trump. No president has been as public with his opinions as Trump. We daily witness what kind of man he portrays himself as, and it is not the kind of behavior that should be advocated. It is all too apparent that the man has issues, and it is not wrong to have a negative opinion regarding a leader of a country. What is wrong is to support such a man based merely on patriotism and to promote chaos against an opposing viewpoint due to a misguided bias. I take pride in being called a backseat psychiatrist when I have an opinion about the president's state of mind, because I will not be concerned by those lost in support of such presidential ineptitude.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. leov

leov Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +459
    Religion:
    christian
    Trump is chosen to create much more smoke and confusion than before...

3. PureX

PureX Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,173
    Religion:
    Philosophical Taoist/Christian
    I don't think that people support Trump so much for psychological reasons as for philosophical ones. I think they are people who believe, fundamentally, that greed, competition, and selfishness are human virtues. And even though Trump is obviously both ignorant, and incompetent, he does unabashedly embody and exemplify those "virtues" for those who truly believe in them. They would prefer someone who didn't behave like a petulant toddler, I'm sure. But if the only alternative is someone who believes that greed, competition, and selfishness are NOT existential human virtues, they'll take Trump every time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Phaedrus

Phaedrus Active Member

Ratings:
    +350
    Religion:
    Anti-theist
    My mind is taking me on another tangent; more of a rant, honestly.

It involves the unnecessary process of splitting hairs. When I provide a valid, sorely needed interpretation of something that is all too obvious, do not undermine my intelligence with a fallacious cliche. When I have something to impart, it is guaranteed to be of importance to the topic at hand. Such a trivial objection has no place unless the goal is to purposefully derail the conversation strictly toward one person's subjective point of view. I am not stating don't have an opinion, but at least check the ego at the door before treading unwittingly on a valid comparison.

5. Phaedrus

Phaedrus Active Member

Ratings:
    +350
    Religion:
    Anti-theist
    I am catching up on season nine of The Walking Dead.

Warning: spoilers ahead.

We learn that The Scooby Gang has discovered sicko humans behind what was thought to be a zombie evolution. Then in episode ten we discover that a girl being abused by her mother considers the atrocious acts to be a reflection of love. Talk about Stockholm Syndrome.

Now, of course, my mind wanders automatically to god and the religious people who consider this being omnibenevolent. Here is a god that is anthropomorphized in the NT as having the same negative characteristics as a veritable monster. The same god that sits idly by while atrocious things happen the world over. The same god that demands recognition and obedience or suffer the consequences.

Logically, the religious individual has an unhealthy Stockholm connection with god, for conditions applied for love does not equate to unconditional except in the warped mind taken over by unreasonable faith.

6. Phaedrus

Phaedrus Active Member

Ratings:
    +350
    Religion:
    Anti-theist
    Why the New Testament is unreliable:

7. Phaedrus

Phaedrus Active Member

Ratings:
    +350
    Religion:
    Anti-theist
  8. Phaedrus

Phaedrus Active Member

Ratings:
    +350
    Religion:
    Anti-theist
    I am uncertain as to how they do it.

What do I mean?

I am referring to people sticking to one thread for hundreds of pages and continually responding. I cannot do that. If I have something to say, I say it. And I tend to leave it at that. I guess that's just me.

9. Phaedrus

Phaedrus Active Member

Ratings:
    +350
    Religion:
    Anti-theist
    In life, there tends to come a time when one differentiates between play and seriousness.

Theists seem to be forever stuck in the play stage, for they are as children who want to believe in this fairy tale figure that saves them only after they have died. After all, there is no guarantee that they are saved while they are living. Excuses are constantly made in favor of the god in worship, as to why he does or does not answer, and in the end the logic dictates that he simply does not exist and the person is making up in his mind whether or not god loves him. When it comes to such uncertainties of belief, it is always easier to imagine that existence is real. That is imagination at work. Pure and simple.

Nothing speaks of imagination more than wanting something to exist that simply doesn't.

10. Phaedrus

Phaedrus Active Member

Ratings:
    +350
    Religion:
    Anti-theist
    Still sick, diarrhea is no fun.

Otherwise, I have been doing some thinking and I came up with this snippet of a gem:

Never operate on a hypothesis when it comes to the so-called existence of the supernatural, for that is a dangerous way of thinking and sets up a precedent for being in favor of that which is unreasonable.