• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Send Me Your Money

Lain

Your thoughts on televangelist tithing?

Depends on the Televangelist. The only thing I really care about in it is people who have a false idea of God due to the theology, and the heresies promoted by many of these individuals. That's my opinion on it at least.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Depends on the Televangelist. The only thing I really care about in it is people who have a false idea of God due to the theology, and the heresies promoted by many of these individuals. That's my opinion on it at least.

Interesting. What do you consider a false idea of God?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
These days I find myself going to "Good Omens" a bit. I'm reminded in this thread of this:

The world is a lot more complicated than most people believe. Many people believed, for example, that Marvin was not a true Believer because he made so much money out of it. They were wrong. He believed with all his heart. He believed utterly, and spent a lot of the money that flooded in on what he really thought was the Lord's work.
“Brothers and sisters, thank you, thank you, wasn't that beautiful? And remember, you can hear that song and others just as edifyin' on Jesus Is My Buddy, just phone 1.. 800.. CASH and pledge your donation now.”
"I mean, you're right about the fire and war, all that. But that Rapture stuff well, if you could see them all in Heaven.. serried ranks of them as far as the mind can follow and beyond, league after league of us, flaming swords, all that, well, what I'm trying to say is who has time to go round picking people out and popping them up in the air to sneer at the people dying of radiation sickness on the parched and burning earth below them? If that's your idea of a morally acceptable time, I might add.

Good Omens(35) read online free - Neil Gaiman

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There are so many people who make their money shamefully it would take a lifetime to hate each one of them. Live and let live. Peace!

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Your thoughts on televangelist tithing?
They are enabled by the fact that tithing isn't technically required for Christians, yet lots of protestant ministers insist it is. So there is a lot of fuzzy logic involved with tithing. Its already illegitimate, so regular ministers can't easily debunk televangelists who claim the tithe. They can only say that the tithe is intended for the storehouse, a vague and weak argument. Churches aren't storehouses any more than TV shows are.

Lain

Interesting. What do you consider a false idea of God?

For example, that idea that God send suffering and illness to you because you gave money. I have had to individually aid someone who was suffering through the idea that God will not send suffering to you because you did X or are Y, it is immensely damaging to the spiritual life and is contrary to truth. God is not bribed.

In my opinion at least.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
For example, that idea that God send suffering and illness to you because you gave money.

I don't understand the logic here. God sent suffering because you appeared on His radar?