• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Send her back (again)...

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
So the chants of "send her back" erupted up at a Trump rally in Greenville, NC, in the arena of East Carolina University after Trump singled out Somali-born Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn, yet again.

But I have a question: is it not the job of someone who is elected to Congress to fight for the change that their constituents need? Is seeing that there are things that need fixing, and then setting out to fix them identical to "hating your country?"

Is electing a Democrat with a social agenda identical to hating Republicans, or is it an attempt to have someone represent your particular viewpoint in government?

Under a Democrat Presidency and House, if a Republican were to stand up and declare their (and their constituents') antipathy to one policy or another, would be that be the same as "hating your country," and would it likewise merit a chorus of "send him back?"

Or is the US just so fracking polarized now that they can't even find a way to talk to each other about their disagreements? Adults ought to be able to do better than that. Maybe there's some growing up to do down there.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
But I have a question: is it not the job of someone who is elected to Congress to fight for the change that their constituents need?

America doesn't need ICE or DHS disbanded. It doesn't need to support terrorist organization like Ilhan either.

She is either

A. Extremely naive and stupid.

B. A treasonous traitor.

Is electing a Democrat with a social agenda identical to hating Republicans, or is it an attempt to have someone represent your particular viewpoint in government?

Radical Islam has no place in Western society or govt.

Under a Democrat Presidency and House, if a Republican were to stand up and declare their (and their constituents') antipathy to one policy or another, would be that be the same as "hating your country," and would it likewise merit a chorus of "send him back?"

No, they just got called a racist for disagreeing with Obama because he is a person of color. No discussion as to why the policy was bad, just auto-racist to shut down the conversation. Much like they still continue to do, because discussing facts usually ruins their policies. In the words of fellow "Squad" member AOC "Being morally correct is.better than being factually correct".

Or is the US just so fracking polarized now that they can't even find a way to talk to each other about their disagreements?

It's extremely polarized, but mostly coming from the left which dehumanizes people. I support LGBT rights, still got called an evil monster by a certain member simply because I disagreed with him on a fairly stupid topic.

*Edit* I don't support the "send her back" chants. But I do think she needs to step down due to her own anti-semitic comments.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I feel the same way about these rallies now that I did about the Charlottesville protests.

In Charlottesville it is possible some people showed up just to protest the removal of a statue, but when they saw people with torches chanting “the Jews will not replace us” if they didn’t leave or do something to distinguish themselves from those people, then they were not “very fine people”

Likewise with these recent Trump rallies anyone there listening to that chant without condemning it is a racist. At this point these rallies have officially become White Supremacist rallies.

Terry Sampson

As an excoriated "enemy of the people" white Anglo-Saxon [is there any other kind of Anglo-Saxon?] Democrat, I offer these answers to your questions:

is it not the job of someone who is elected to Congress to fight for the change that their constituents need?

According to the folks in the other corner, it is. Hmmm, ... I misread that. Ergo, according to folks in both corners, it is.

Is seeing that there are things that need fixing, and then setting out to fix them identical to "hating your country?"

According to the folks in the other corner, it is.

is electing a Democrat with a social agenda identical to hating Republicans

According to the folks in the other corner, it is.

or is it an attempt to have someone represent your particular viewpoint in government?

According to the folks in my corner, it is.

According to the folks in my corner, "Yes", "Yes", and a pox on them on them all.

Or is the US just so fracking polarized now that they can't even find a way to talk to each other about their disagreements?

From where I sit, it sure looks like it.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
So the chants of "send her back" erupted up at a Trump rally in Greenville, NC, in the arena of East Carolina University after Trump singled out Somali-born Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn, yet again.

But I have a question: is it not the job of someone who is elected to Congress to fight for the change that their constituents need? Is seeing that there are things that need fixing, and then setting out to fix them identical to "hating your country?"

Or is the US just so fracking polarized now that they can't even find a way to talk to each other about their disagreements? Adults ought to be able to do better than that. Maybe there's some growing up to do down there.

I suspect that a majority of Trump supporters are happy to step on the toes of anything that smells like liberal/democratic idealism. In my experience, it does little good to sit around waiting for other people to "grow up".

Enoch07

Premium Member
Neither does white nationalism which had already harmed a person and several others under Trump, yet Trump has not actively disavowed white nationalism and in fact proclaims white nationalism not to be a problem.

Incorrect
I know the lame stream media hasn't reported it to you, but that's because they lie to you.

Enoch07

Premium Member
After the attackls, neither considered white nationalism to be a problem, nor acknowledged it as a factor to consider:

Trump is correct though.

Don't get me wrong, there is white supremacist. But it's a very small number and not as dangerous as the left wants it to be.

Here this article talks about the rise of white supremacist murders.
Murders By U.S. White Supremacists More Than Doubled In 2017, New Report Shows | HuffPost

7 people, 18 people, 50 people worldwide mind you.

While any loss of life is terrible. But this is nothing compared to the 350 people murdered in Chicago in 2018 by black gang members. That's one city for 1 year. And it is totally ignored so that the white supremacist narrative is portrayed as a greater problem. White supremacist would have to kill for 100 years to match the death toll by black on black homicide.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member

Well, the people back in her home state and District support her, gathering to wish her "Welcome Home" when she arrived at the airport.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The left has its chants, which only differ in word & focus...
"Treason!", "Racist!", "Impeach!", "Not my President", etc.
While Trump deserves much blame for the current vicious
polarized climate, he's not alone, having inspired the
opposition to follow his lead.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The left has its chants, which only differ in word & focus...
"Treason!", "Racist!", "Impeach!", "Not my President", etc.
While Trump deserves much blame for the current vicious
polarized climate, he's not alone, having inspired the
opposition to follow his lead.
I did not claim in my OP that Trump was alone to blame. But think back to those early days in Philadelphia in 1787 while men of diverse, and passionate, viewpoints tried to write themselves a new Constitution. What was happening there?

I want to know where are the voices today that say "let us reason together," rather than scream "lock her up" or "send her back" or "string him up!" Nobody's asking "who are we" or "how shall we go forward." They just scream at each other and hope somebody'll win. Win what? That's a good question.

Everything is being lost, I feel it in my heart. I know you think of yourself as a reasonable person, but I don't think you are looking closely enough at what is actually happening, how deeply it is changing the very nature of the dialogues your nation will be able to have in future. I don't think you grasp how difficult it will be to have the things said unsaid, to have what the nation has heard unheard. How it may be impossible to go back.

I have said it from the beginning...this Trump thing is the most dangerous thing your nation has ever faced...and you may be losing the battle this time...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I did not claim in my OP that Trump was alone to blame.
That was my addition.
But think back to those early days in Philadelphia in 1787 while men of diverse, and passionate, viewpoints tried to write themselves a new Constitution. What was happening there?

I want to know where are the voices today that say "let us reason together," rather than scream "lock her up" or "send her back" or "string him up!" Nobody's asking "who are we" or "how shall we go forward." They just scream at each other and hope somebody'll win. Win what? That's a good question.

Everything is being lost, I feel it in my heart. I know you think of yourself as a reasonable person, but I don't think you are looking closely enough at what is actually happening, how deeply it is changing the very nature of the dialogues your nation will be able to have in future. I don't think you grasp how difficult it will be to have the things said unsaid, to have what the nation has heard unheard. How it may be impossible to go back.

I have said it from the beginning...this Trump thing is the most dangerous thing your nation has ever faced...and you may be losing the battle this time...
There were times of vicious rhetoric even back then.
It comes & goes.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Having been a close observer of politics and debates throughout most of my life, I can see that the civility in public discourse has hit some low points - although it's not really all that new in that regard.

I've also noticed a certain pressuring tactic at work, a certain "those who are not with us are against us" attitude which is designed to keep people in line, marching in lockstep with their own particular camp.

Xenophobia is also pretty strong. We've always had a certain amount of latent xenophobia which comes and goes at various times. It peaked a bit just after 9/11, then subsided, and now appears on the upswing again.

But I think you're correct in that people's views have definitely polarized in America. You're also correct that people should be able to state their disagreements more civilly. But both sides would claim to be saints while blaming each other for the deterioration of civility in public discourse.

A lot of people just plain don't want to be civil - and again, such attitudes can be found on both sides. Perhaps they think it's beneath them or a sign of weakness to be polite and civil to someone they regard as the "enemy" or "deplorable."

So, as long as we're dispensing with the rules of polite society anyway, might as well just let the chips fly.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
That was my addition.

There were times of vicious rhetoric even back then.
It comes & goes.
Might I ask if there is a difference between "even back then" and now? For example, how many ordinary folk were party to the "vicious rhetoric" back than, and who hear it now? Not only have access to it, but possibly can't even avoid it? Of all things that I fear (and I say this as a gay guy who lived through some hateful times), crowd mentality is just about my worst.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Might I ask if there is a difference between "even back then" and now? For example, how many ordinary folk were party to the "vicious rhetoric" back than, and who hear it now? Not only have access to it, but possibly can't even avoid it? Of all things that I fear (and I say this as a gay guy who lived through some hateful times), crowd mentality is just about my worst.
There are differences, but it would be difficult to compare.
The insults vary with the times.

siti

I know the lame stream media hasn't reported it to you, but that's because they lie to you.
And here's the old "main stream media doesn't report it" argument, together with the customary undeniable evidence of the mainstream media reporting it!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Neither does white nationalism which had already harmed a person and several others under Trump, yet Trump has not actively disavowed white nationalism and in fact proclaims white nationalism not to be a problem.
I never heard of that before.

Besides ethnic nationalism has been going on long before Trump got to be president, in fact long before Trump was even born.