• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selflessness

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Is the christian idea of selflessness similar to the buddhist idea of anatta?

Proverbs 19:17 Giving help to the poor is like loaning money to the Lord. He will pay you back for your kindness.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Proverbs 19:17 Giving help to the poor is like loaning money to the Lord. He will pay you back for your kindness.

Selflessness only has one meaning

having little or no concern for oneself, especially with regard to fame, position, money, etc.; unselfish.

Unless you'd care to elaborate what you think the difference might be?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Selflessness only has one meaning

having little or no concern for oneself, especially with regard to fame, position, money, etc.; unselfish.

Unless you'd care to elaborate what you think the difference might be?

so isn't it selfish to deny one's own needs and cause harm? just like it's selfish to deny compassion to other as self, or the golden rule?

do unto self as you would have done unto others?

Enoch07

Premium Member
so isn't it selfish to deny one's own needs and cause harm? just like it's selfish to deny compassion to other as self, or the golden rule?

do unto self as you would have done unto others?

How does someone deny their own needs which causes harm to another in the same time?

I recognize "Do onto others as you would have done to yourself". But "Do unto self as you would have done unto others" sounds malicous.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

They're very different ideas, so far as I can see.

For instance, Christian selflessness assumes humans have a permanent soul but the Buddhist notion of anatta assumes humans have no permanent soul at all.

Father

Devourer of Truth

bro I ask a Christian to extend some kindness to forgiveness to satan they make excuses they are hardly selfless. the Buddhists would probably do it though but they don't have any forgiveness thing

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

I like to think so, but probably not.

Enoch07

Premium Member
That's a lovely proverb :)

I like the kjv better. Its a bit more poetic. :)

Proverbs 19:17

17 He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the Lord; and that which he hath given will he pay him again.

atanu

Premium Member

Acts of selflessness is prescribed in Christianity and knowledge of anatta (no self) is imparted in Buddhism — to whom? There must be a recipient in both cases.

Although the methods are different, the ultimate goal, IMO, is discarding the notion of independent existence and doership.

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
How does someone deny their own needs which causes harm to another in the same time?
if one can see objectively vs subjectively it would make sense.

I recognize "Do onto others as you would have done to yourself". But "Do unto self as you would have done unto others" sounds malicous.
the last one could be malicious if one were abusing self. often a person's perception of themselves is projected on to others...

if one is all loving, no one is love less.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
bro I ask a Christian to extend some kindness to forgiveness to satan they make excuses they are hardly selfless. the Buddhists would probably do it though but they don't have any forgiveness thing

love you enemies is part of the doctrine.

the Law of Love excludes no one

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
They're very different ideas, so far as I can see.

For instance, Christian selflessness assumes humans have a permanent soul but the Buddhist notion of anatta assumes humans have no permanent soul at all.

kenosis maybe???

you can't empty something so much as one can uncover something, revelation.

you can't make something from nothing and you can't make nothing from something.

you can make no thing from some thing

Last edited: