• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Self-Realization and Enlightenment

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
is this a form of enlightenment, to dispel suffering?

Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

or this?

When Lin-chi met Huang-po to say farewell, the old master gently advised him to go to the nearby monastery presided over by Ta-yu, and that counsel changed Lin-chi's life. Upon presenting himself to Ta-yu and explaining his story, Ta-yu said, "Huang-po treated you with great compassion. He only wanted to dispel your distress." Suddenly Lin-chi understood and replied, "So Huang-po's doctrine is very simple; there's nothing to it at all!"

"You scamp!" Ta-yu yelled, grabbing Lin-chi. "You complained that Huang-po's teaching was incomprehensible. Now you say there's nothing to it. What have you realized. Speak quickly!"

Lin-chi responded by poking Ta-yu's ribs, and Ta-yu said, "Your teacher is Huang-po. You do not concern me." Lin-chi returned at once to Huang-po's monastery and presented himself to his teacher.

"Haven't you come back a bit soon?" Huang-po asked. "You only just left."

"Because you have been so kind to me," Lin-chi replied, "I have returned quickly." Then Lin-chi told of his meeting with Ta-yu.

"What a big mouth that old man has", Huang-po declared. "When I next see him, I'll give him a taste of my staff."

"Why wait?" Lin-chi responded. "I can do it now", and he slapped Huang-po's face.

Huang-po said, "This crazy monk is plucking the tiger's whiskers", and Lin-chi let out a yell.

"Take him to the assembly hall", Huang-po instructed an attendant.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I suspect self-realization is when the student becomes the master, which should be the goal of every master.