• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Self-Medicating On God?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is it possible to self-medicate on religion and/or God? If so, is the behavior dysfunctional? If not, why is it not possible to self-medicate on religion and/or God?

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
Sunstone said:
Is it possible to self-medicate on religion and/or God? If so, is the behavior dysfunctional? If not, why is it not possible to self-medicate on religion and/or God?

I've met a lot of people, my wife included, who describe God as a natural high. Most of these people have suffered from drug addiction at one point or another, and have come to allow God to fill the space left in the absence of the drugs. Maybe this isn't what you are talking about, but people of this sort rely more on God than your average religious Joe.

If you are talking about actually depending on God for medicinal aid, then I have no idea if it is possible or not.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Sunstone said:

I am sure it is; "self-medication" i.e becoming obsessed in Religion and 'living it every bsecond of the day' is just as possible as it is with any other activity.

The strange thing is that it depends how the 'self-medication' in done, in practice; I can imagine someone wishing to be as pure as possible, and to do the "best" he/she could for mankind - not for the reward, of course, but for the principle of doing it.

I (having an addictive personality) am only too aware of the dangers; I have found myself genuinely thinking of wearing a hair shirt - of doing anything that would keep me focussed on God throughout each day. But what would I achieve ? Nothing; the wanting to suffer 'for God' would have no value whatsoever - unless I was doing something that made the life of others better.

Perhaps it is a good thing that I am married, and have Children; my family "keep me on the straight and narrow". I can imagine that if I was on my own, I could easily go down that path; absurd, of course - in a way that makes it worse (knowing that it would be absurd), because there is no 'win' situation. If I go down that path, it would serve no purpose, and yet not going down the path makes me feel that I am not doing something that I ought to do. I would be interested to see if any other members feel any empathy for the way I think..............

Ozzie

Sunstone said:

As long as the pharmacist offers the generic brand at a lower price I am comfortable with self-medication on religion and/or God.

jacquie4000

I am sure there are people that self medicate of God in a good way, however from my experiance I have seen far to many people that Self Medicate on God due to their circumstance in life: They are a recovering drug addict, They were an alcholic. They had some terriable experiance in life then they found God and Self Medicated. Then to many times this is a temporary high on God and they eventually go back to their old lifesyle of Self Medication.