• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Self-Employed?

Slide

The 1st Rule.
Who here is self-employed? I am on disability benefits, but I am trying to start up my own businesses. Right now, my most successful one is with incense. Eventually I'll be expanding into soaps and candles.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Best wishes in building your empire!
I do real estate investment, management & development.
I used to do mechanical engineering & consulting.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
My wife and I make and sell pottery, but it isn't our primary income source.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I am. ERP consulting and project management.
(Computer software industry)

My wife works in a real job, but also bakes cakes on the side (bday, weddings, christenings, etc)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
*raises hand*

I own and operate a dance studio. We have over 250 students, mostly recreational but a few dozen who are tuition performers and competitive dancers, and have been featured in a national arts industry magazine for our "sustainable" practices and our "21st-century" technology/digitized marketing and registration. We'll be traveling around the country and have two more upgrade programs available to our patrons by January 2016. I also still take contract work with area theatres for choreography, judging regional and sectional competitions, and auditions for area dance teams.

We've been in operation going on 3 years. We're investing in expansion now to two other rooms in the building we rent. We started breaking even in 7-9 months after opening. Then our profit margins were minimal. Now I make more money than my husband does at his bread and butter job. I worried many years ago he would be upset if I did, but turns out he's very very proud and happy for me, and he supports my business and helps out however he can too.

Go for it. Never quit. Never. There'll be many times quitting is the most rational option and the most enticing decision when you hit a brick wall....and those brick walls never stop hitting you. But still, never NEVER quit. Never. One of the best decisions I ever made. I found out how much I love having sex and embraced acting like a "whore", and then I found out how much I love making money and embraced acting like a "corporate sociopath". I **** off people on the right and the left ends of the spectrum for not acting in a way that I'm expected to. Oh well.

Yeah. Never quit. Invest in yourself. Invest in your people. Invest in technology that will keep your business relevent with the crowds. And have fun. 14 hour days are typical. But 14 hours doing something you love is amazing.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Who here is self-employed? I am on disability benefits, but I am trying to start up my own businesses. Right now, my most successful one is with incense. Eventually I'll be expanding into soaps and candles.

That sounds really good. So you make your own incense? Who do you sell it to, and do you have a website?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The TV show, "How It's Made", had a segment on incense manufacture.
Interesting.
But beware....the show is addictive.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I've owned a security company for 28 years. The best advice I can give is that there are absolutely no guarantees, but don't let that stop you.

Slide

The 1st Rule.
That sounds really good. So you make your own incense? Who do you sell it to, and do you have a website?

I don't have a website just yet; I'm working on getting my old website down and re-working the business from its last incarnation (which died because I had no idea how to manage the money). A few years of financial management training later, I'm hocking my goods to small-business gas stations (to replace their machine-made crap), all kinds of fairs and festivals, marijuana dispensaries (since I'm in Colorado), smoke shops, and the spiritualism/New Age/Pagan stores in a town near my home that is notorious for that kind of lifestyle.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Incense......
sizzzlin-bacon-wild-berry-main.jpg