• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Self driving cars may fix our traffic problems:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
They can't even make good AI for video games. What makes you think that anyone can make a good automated car?

Maybe someday , but not for a long time yet.

IsaiahX

Ape That Loves
I would prefer self-driving, electric, public transportation. Its compact and there is no polution to speak of.

Now that I think of it, we should also remove suburbs and simply make buildings in cities taller, therefore taking up less space horizontally. This would encourage walking and improve overall health.

Ooh, we could also install solar panels on the roof and have green houses 10 stories tall! Although I'm kind of getting carried away...

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
If they were all automated it would make sense that accidents would become significantly less. Heck, the money we would save on insurance would more than pay for the whole thing (over time, of course).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I would prefer self-driving, electric, public transportation. Its compact and there is no polution to speak of.
Where fossil fuel generates electricity, the pollution is
just transferred from the tailpipe to the smokestack.
But it might be more cost effective to clean the
combustion products there.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Even as few as 10% will improve flow. If all cars were self driving it appears that most of our problems would be gone, at least for now.

Next step might be "Self living human replicas". So we can sit on our chair and "mouse" our "alter ego" to live our life.

Skwim

Veteran Member
From the video, "Keep distance and break less" Probably one of the three best pieces of driving advice I can think of, the other two being; drive at least the speed limit and signal turns.

74x12

They can't even make good AI for video games. What makes you think that anyone can make a good automated car?

Many game developers are lazy and want to rush out a product as quickly as possible for easy profits. So of course they don't make a good AI. They could do a lot better if they really wanted to. Look at how it's virtually impossible for a human to defeat a good AI at chess now.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Per mile driven self driving cars have a much better record than people do. There have been a couple of fatalities in the U.S. but those were not under full automation. They were auto-pilot cases where a driver was still supposed to be monitoring. The day of the human driver is limited.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Next step might be "Self living human replicas". So we can sit on our chair and "mouse" our "alter ego" to live our life.
Technology is constantly freeing up people from tasks that can be done without them. For example sometimes driving in heavy traffic one of the most irritating things to hear is a passenger saying "OOh! Look at that!" and I know that I cannot look. Let the car do the looking at the mundane for you and enjoy the scenery.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
"Avoid braking." Got it!

*heads out to test this theory*

I'll let you guys know how it goes...

IsaiahX

Ape That Loves

I wouldn't say driving more and getting into hour-long traffic jams helps us be more "human". Actually, not getting killed in a car wreck at 16 actually gives us a lot more time for being "real humans".

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Per mile driven self driving cars have a much better record than people do. There have been a couple of fatalities in the U.S. but those were not under full automation. They were auto-pilot cases where a driver was still supposed to be monitoring. The day of the human driver is limited.
I'd like to see a self-driving car in a snow storm in the middle of winter.

There was one time the colision sensor on the semi i was driving went on alert mode, yet, no vehicle was in front of me, let alone me almost reerending one.

Another time, i was driving, and the foot brake AUDAMATICALLY pressed in, despite no one in front of me, let alone almost hitting anything. When that happened it was a shocking jerk sensation.

Both wer in the same semi.

I dont trust vehicles that drive themselves or even partially via sensors.