• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Self Cause of Yourself

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
thanks to @Willamena for the thread idea.

can you be a cause of yourself? in other words do your choices, become the cause of self realized, or i will what i will?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

can you be a cause of yourself? in other words do your choices, become the cause of self realized, or i will what i will?

I suspect one can but this is most often not the case.

When we are young and mostly throughout life we automatically react to external triggers. However I believe we can develop a causal awareness. Through our imagination we can create numerous future scenarios. Alternate possible futures which we can then decide which to act on. In this case we are not causal in the sense on creating an uncaused cause but we are causal in the sense of causing a future through the choice we decide on.

An uncaused maybe possible if we can make a choice not based on an external cause. IOW make a choice not caused by any external past event. Unfortunately it is often difficult to know if a choice that is consciously made completely disconnected from any past events because of the influence our subconscious mind has over our will. So while we may assume we are making an uncaused choice, this may not be true.

However much awareness we have of our subconscious influencing our conscious will we still may be unaware of something influencing a choice we make.

Can you act against your subconscious desires? We seem to be capable of this to a certain extent. Can we divorce our choices completely from our subconscious desires? Hard to say.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I am I

How i became i is though genetics and life experience