• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seitan

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I see this in the vegetarian/vegan section of the grocery next to the jackfruit (which I tried once and it made me gag). After my jackfruit experience, I'm hesitant to try seitan (and not because it has the same pronunciation, according to this, as Satan), but I'm enticed because they have bacon-flavored seitan.

Has anyone tried seitan? What did you think?

If no one here has, perhaps I can persuade @Revoltingest to try the bacon-flavored stuff for me. :D

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I do not know how the dish that you ate was prepared, but deep fried it is nice as a snack or with rice. It is a favorite in our commmunity.
There is a story in our region that once the Jodhpur King had invited his brother king of Bikaner for dinner, but it was a Ekadashi and the Jodhpur king was a Vaishnava. So, he plied the Bikaner king with copious wine and offered a jackfruit dish. The Bikner king liked it, but kept on asking "Where is the bone, where is the bone?"
Seitan is wheat gluten.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I do not know how the dish that you ate was prepared, but deep fried it is nice as a snack or with rice. It is a favorite in our commmunity.

Are you speaking of jackfruit or seitan? I haven't tried seitan.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I see this in the vegetarian/vegan section of the grocery next to the jackfruit (which I tried once and it made me gag). After my jackfruit experience, I'm hesitant to try seitan (and not because it has the same pronunciation, according to this, as Satan), but I'm enticed because they have bacon-flavored seitan.

If no one here has, perhaps I can persuade @Revoltingest to try the bacon-flavored stuff for me. :D
I tried seitan, I liked it. But, I was trained as a kid to accept whatever they gave me to eat. So I like anything, it's just a mind trick.
When I don't like something, I ask myself "Who Am I" ... "Who is there to like or not" ... "What is there to like or not to like" ...
Just a few of those questions, and I quickly come to the point "what the heck, I'm hungry, I just eat it"

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Yes, I use it for vegetarian burritos. It's flavorless like tofu, but the texture is much firmer and more meaty.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I tried seitan, I liked it. But, I was trained as a kid to accept whatever they gave me to eat. So I like anything, it's just a mind trick.
When I don't like something, I ask myself "Who Am I" ... "Who is there to like or not" ... "What is there to like or not to like" ...
Just a few of those questions, and I quickly come to the point "what the heck, I'm hungry, I just eat it"

I was raised similarly, but never succeeded at such a mind trick. 36 years later, I still have nightmares about pot roast.

And yes, I know who I am, but I still observe the object that is myself not liking the flavor (or more often the texture) of something. ;)

Ayjaydee

Damn I love fresh jackfruit!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I'm game.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
It's essentially wheat gluten and is often found in some plant meat alternatives. I rather enjoy Yves Pepperoni which uses it and find it enjoyable.

I tried making it myself from flour but mostly failed.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Damn I love fresh jackfruit!

Never had fresh jackfruit. I tried this and did not like it.

71Fe-mmLpML._SL1000_.jpg

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I tried making it myself from flour but mostly failed.

I'm not that ambitious. If I'm cooking for someone else, I like to do things like that, but while others like my food, I don't like eating my own cooking.

If I make anything from scratch, it'll be paneer cheese. I love that stuff in spiced sauces over rice.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I was talking about Jackfruit dish that you ate.
I would not put lime in a jackfruit preparation. Oil and Chilies welcome.
I ask myself "Who Am I" ... "Who is there to like or not" ... "What is there to like or not to like" ...
I was always limited for things which I liked (in veg. food, I have subsisted on potato, lentils, red bean, etc.). I have tried a few things in my old age, but the general picture is much the same.

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I was raised similarly, but never succeeded at such a mind trick. 36 years later, I still have nightmares about pot roast.
I remember the day my father put my sisters poop in my mouth. Took me a long time to overcome this one
When I was on raw diet, I thought "let's tackle this one, once and for all", so I ate my own poop
I was surprised it tasted/smelled so good, kind of nice nutty flavor
Never do this when on non-vegan diet, though
That would be even too much for me:D

Never had these nightmares afterwards:)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yes, I use it for vegetarian burritos. It's flavorless like tofu, but the texture is much firmer and more meaty.

I always consider tofu to be tasteless, it picks up flavours from the food it is cooked with.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

My daughter really likes saitan, prefers the texture to tofu.

I have eaten it, like tofu is can be very tasty if cooked with the right sauces...

But i prefer meat.