• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking validation through social media

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I’ve been having a back and forth debate on Facebook with friends of mine regarding the comments made by Ayesha Curry wife of Stephen Curry famous NBA basketball player of the Golden State Warriors.

You can see the following video here in a discussion panel here:

Now, a few things about the gender aspect here because I noticed that when it comes to issues of fidelity I feel like there are some women that love to move goal posts when it comes to what is acceptable and what isn’t. If the shoe was on the other foot and Stephen Curry made the exact same comments I believe there would be women on social media who would chastise Steph for wanting female attention while being married.

Onto the current subject.....

Now like online forums I do realize people tend to seek validation however internet mediums tend to propagate this with like systems or thumbs up or emojis. Therefore, it’s not surprising that many times people who engage in social media as well as Internet forums tend to value themselves through the opinions of others.

The problem I have with Curry’s comment is, seeking validation through the opinions of others allows them to have power and the ability to dictate your value. I understand for women who have given birth there is body changes women go through and psychological changes which may lead to women to have some insecurities. However, as a married woman by doing that you in turn devalue the opinion of a faithful husband.

I feel as a man if I were her husband I would feel disrespected especially for something like that so public. I firmly believe if I’m a celebrity and I’m in Ayesha Curry’s position, as a man and if I said what she said then my fidelity would be questioned regardless.

Another issue that was brought up is would she make those same comments if her husband was a cop, or a teacher, or a janitor?

Thoughts?

Also here is a male perspective in contrast to the previous listed video:

Thoughts?

Samana Johann

Restricted by request
Does the Epic Beard Man likes to have some "likes"? Or is there no seek for certain approval?
It's not a bad thing, but the opposite, to seek for approve but it's wise if looking for a "social net" with wise, if seeking for long term happiness. They wouldn't do "judgement" for a favor or because to have an opinion.

Maybe some inspirations:

In the Eyes of the Wise: The Buddha’s Teachings on Honor & Shame, by Ven. Thanissaro Bhikkhu(2018; 6pp.)
In this work Venerable Thanissaro points out the proper meaning of shame, not only for attaining long term happiness, but also in how far the Buddhas understandig runs against the general opinion that shame is something which is an general hindrance, going in this way against the stream of the world and it's bounds.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Does the Epic Beard Man likes to have some "likes"? Or is there no seek for certain approval?
It's not a bad thing, but the opposite, to seek for approve but it's wise if looking for a "social net" with wise, if seeking for long term happiness. They wouldn't do "judgement" for a favor or because to have an opinion.

Maybe some inspirations:

Me personally I don’t care if people like or dislike me online. You see, unless people on the internet has some sort of direct value in my life the exchange of opinions does not have direct value to me except through learning. I can either take the opinions or leave it. What is very bothersome is when a woman that is married feels that her security is only nourished through the attention of men outside her relationship. Not only should such desires ought to be private, but they're really unwarranted considering she is married.

Samana Johann

Restricted by request
Good Epic Beard Man might not have the value in her life that she might be interested on his opinion.

How does good Epic Beard Man assume that someone reads his shares? Does he like to be of value for others?

And my person would not believe that he does not care whether others like or dislike. If great. Now why post?