• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking Truth and Seeking Certainty

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
How much of a convergence or of a divergence there is between the two goals?

How consistently so?

Why and under which circunstances?

What is it wise to do as a response to their relationship, if any?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It seems that one's answer to these questions would depend on one's epistemological and ontological philosophies. If one, for example, follows an epistemological philosophy that accepts human beings can know things with certainty, that has implications for how one might approach the idea of truth in that this thing called "the truth" can be reliably identified and understood by people.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Certainty, as I use the word, is something that humans can attain - even if perhaps without due justification. It is a state of mind, relating to specific goals and values.

It has its uses, and also its troubles and dangers.

Truth is according to some (not me) perhaps not even real. It is certainly not particularly connected of human beings.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Truth is what we should be seeking, not certainty. Certainty is not directly sought for but can come when the search for truth seems to show something conclusive.
Don't you agree that people seek certainty, even if they may sometimes find that too ambitious a goal?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Don't you agree that people seek certainty, even if they may sometimes find that too ambitious a goal?
Certainly people seek certainty as people crave certainty and security. Notice in my quote I said 'should'. :Truth is what we should be seeking, not certainty. Certainty is not directly sought for but can come when the search for truth seems to show something conclusive.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Certainly people seek certainty as people crave certainty and security. Notice in my quote I said 'should'. :Truth is what we should be seeking, not certainty. Certainty is not directly sought for but can come when the search for truth seems to show something conclusive.
Another thought to my quote is that for some, certainty and security is more important than truth. So what if they are not correct or only partially correct if they are happy and this certainty causes them to lead a better and happier life. For others like me, the truth is more important.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There is a limit to certainty in the world, and it is reached with truth. With untruth there will be more uncertainty.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Certainty is something that it is only natural for human beings to crave. Yet it is always susceptible to abuse and potentially tragic.

That one dude...

Why should I have a faith?
Certainty is a feeling, while truth is factual. There could be a great amount of divergence between the two, and I have been certain of things that I found out to be wrong afterward. On one hand, it sucks to be proved wrong and feel foolish. On the other hand, it's good to continually learn new things. Certainty is nice, but one should strive for the truth.

They are both one and the same.
You experience God and this is certain because its a remembered state and there is nothing but God to Infinity so that is the Truth .... nothing outseide of that
You could also say that it is the movement from perception, to knowledge.
Basically its when you experience that which never changes and never begins or ends .......... called the end times .... just its nothing to fear ....rather its a beautiful promise.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Adding a further thought to this. What is it that is actually being sought? Is it certainty, or predictability? And what does predictability offer but stability. And what does stability offer but a sense of security. So while I would certainly agree that seeking stability and security is natural, seeking certainty on the other hand would seem unnatural. It would seem more a mental response to being overly fearful of the inherent unpredictability of systems. People find a balance naturally in relationship with the world when life presents itself as ultimately unpredictable. When they seek certainty, they are in denial of life. They are going against the stream. So one could argue that seeking certainty is actually pathological, seeking for certainty to deny and eliminate unpredictability and uncertainty. It would seem to stem from an inherent lack of security in themselves in the world.

look3467

Premium Member
It is certain.....it is a truth.....that we all will die.
Now, as for being certain in religious beliefs? The truth is.....it depends.
Many religious beliefs may lead one to believe a supposed belief with certency in which may be acted on.
My conclusion is that the bond between truth and certainly is love.
Regardless of belief structure, if there is not a love for God and neighbor, then, there is not the real truth that is simply not understood.
Had it been understood, we won't have wars.
Blessings, AJ

SpeaksForTheTrees

In religious context it is impossible to know absolutely the truth , 100% . Lest not forget mans influence over religions .
By human nature , truth becomes a rumour to the next without physical evidence .
What was truth , the next can only believe with a level of certainty as truth , as they have not seen the physical evidence the purveyor of the truth claimed to have witnessed .

“I believe in intuitions and inspirations...I sometimes FEEL that I am right. I do not KNOW that I am.”
Albert Einstein

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
I am convinced of the certainty of gaining the gnosis of knowledge.
And I am always concerned with the source of the information gained.
But I am not sure of the 'truth' obtained by the study of scripture, or lectures.
There doesn't seem to be a solid affirmation of the convergence of the two.
All that is obtained by this pounding of the scriptures into wood pulp.
And even gnosis and study is still in need of further study.
~
With that, I further the studies to much more intelligent students.
~
'mud

Last edited by a moderator:

Milton Platt

How much of a convergence or of a divergence there is between the two goals?

How consistently so?

Why and under which circunstances?

What is it wise to do as a response to their relationship, if any?

This is gonna take some thinking........

Should say that it is pretty much impossible to have absolute certainty in most cases. Not that it is needed. Extremely high probability is what we really end up with (beyond a reasonable doubt?).

Just throwing this in now because there are those who like to play the "nothing is certain"game.

soma

John Kuykendall
In the quest to know is the learning to doubt. If you know the subject you have no doubt. Faith and Belief contain doubt because one does not know the subject so has faith in it or a belief in it. The religion that does not have doubt is a dead religion because the congregation is not growing or learning