• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking guidance

Dingbat

I've been searching dedicatedly for almost 6 months now and I feel like I am chasing my own tail. I left my original faith due to damning evidence of fabrication, unsatisfied spiritual satisfaction, and growing tired of a xenophobic, homophobic membership that at times sucked at understanding boundaries.

I delved into Buddhism and enjoy myself but always felt like something was missing and largely attribute it to the very atheistic nature of the religion. Also meeting Buddhists whose new age and extremely judgmental behavior was obnoxious. Ironically what really killed any thoughts of ever delving into it again was when some Hipster railed on me for not becoming immediately vegetarian and tried to psychoanalyze my reasons for not doing so.:facepalm:

I have an interest in Islam but that has largely been killed by the rampant homophobia I have encountered on various places on the net. Having told myself I would not engage with a religion that doesn't agree with my most basic principles of humanity and its rights I feel like I should move on. I just haven't a clue where though I do continue to read the Tanakh and pray in my own way though it feels like I am running my head into a wall repeatedly. I will include my Beliefnet results for giggles:

Reform Judaism (100%)
Sikhism (89%)
Baha'i Faith (87%)
Liberal Quakers (85%)
Unitarian Universalism (79%)
Jainism (77%)
Orthodox Judaism (75%)
Mahayana Buddhism (74%)
Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (74%)
Islam (71%)
Neo-Pagan (70%)
Theravada Buddhism (67%)
New Age (62%)
Orthodox Quaker (57%)
Hinduism (56%)
Taoism (55%)
New Thought (53%)
Scientology (52%)
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (45%)
Secular Humanism (42%)
Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (41%)
Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (40%)
Seventh Day Adventist (36%)
Eastern Orthodox (34%)
Roman Catholic (34%)
Jehovah's Witness (29%)
Nontheist (24%)

apophenia

Just for a short while (for now) you could have a break from caring about this at all. See what happens if you just live your life and do your best according to your own conscience. Forget the whole damn cosmic whatever, and the apparent need to have 'big questions' resolved with 'the right answer'.

See you who are when you are letting the program run. Life experience is the real teacher.

Dingbat

Just for a short while (for now) you could have a break from caring about this at all. See what happens if you just live your life and do your best according to your own conscience. Forget the whole damn cosmic whatever, and the apparent need to have 'big questions' resolved with 'the right answer'.

See you who are when you are letting the program run. Life experience is the real teacher.

Oh I have taken such a break that was a reason to try searching for something because I feel like something is missing. I had the break and understand who I am that is the big reason I am even looking at this point. It is great advice though and it was only by having a break that I was able to come to the concept I needed to look in the first place.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I've been searching dedicatedly for almost 6 months now and I feel like I am chasing my own tail. I left my original faith due to damning evidence of fabrication, unsatisfied spiritual satisfaction, and growing tired of a xenophobic, homophobic membership that at times sucked at understanding boundaries.

I delved into Buddhism and enjoy myself but always felt like something was missing and largely attribute it to the very atheistic nature of the religion. Also meeting Buddhists whose new age and extremely judgmental behavior was obnoxious. Ironically what really killed any thoughts of ever delving into it again was when some Hipster railed on me for not becoming immediately vegetarian and tried to psychoanalyze my reasons for not doing so.:facepalm:

I have an interest in Islam but that has largely been killed by the rampant homophobia I have encountered on various places on the net. Having told myself I would not engage with a religion that doesn't agree with my most basic principles of humanity and its rights I feel like I should move on. I just haven't a clue where though I do continue to read the Tanakh and pray in my own way though it feels like I am running my head into a wall repeatedly. I will include my Beliefnet results for giggles:

Reform Judaism (100%)
Sikhism (89%)
Baha'i Faith (87%)
Liberal Quakers (85%)
Unitarian Universalism (79%)
Jainism (77%)
Orthodox Judaism (75%)
Mahayana Buddhism (74%)
Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (74%)
Islam (71%)
Neo-Pagan (70%)
Theravada Buddhism (67%)
New Age (62%)
Orthodox Quaker (57%)
Hinduism (56%)
Taoism (55%)
New Thought (53%)
Scientology (52%)
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (45%)
Secular Humanism (42%)
Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (41%)
Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (40%)
Seventh Day Adventist (36%)
Eastern Orthodox (34%)
Roman Catholic (34%)
Jehovah's Witness (29%)
Nontheist (24%)

No one could guide you except what your heart really would accept,the better thing you could do is to ask the help of the creator if you still believe that there is one.

you may do it with honesty,please the creater of everything on this universe,i beg you to guide me to the straight path,i don't want to get astray.

if you are there listening to me,and i believe you could hear the one who seeks you,i am weak and lost and you are the greatest,please help me and guide me.

After that put your trust on him,and i am sure you'll find signs of truth revealed to you.

apophenia

Got it. In that case I would recommend that whatever else you do, some instruction in simple sitting meditation is a good place to start.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
If you quite liked Buddhism, but not the atheistic nature of it, then you could consider looking at Sikhism and Hinduism. There are several different paths within Hinduism though, so it would depend on the one that attracts you more. However, you still may encounter people urging you to become vegetarian, or

However, if you're reading the Tanakh (and from looking at your results) you should definitely look in to Judaism, especially Reform Judaism.

Overall, it depends on your beliefs, though: what do you believe regarding incarnations of God, the afterlife, and so on? Would you be willing to share your views with us? For example, if you don't believe in reincarnation it probably wouldn't be as worthwhile for you to look into Hinduism or Sikhism because it's pretty much one of the essentials of the faith.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I'm not sure about any statement which says that Buddhism is atheistic - I think it is fair to say that many Western Buddhists may be atheists, but that's not the same thing.

Dingbat

If you quite liked Buddhism, but not the atheistic nature of it, then you could consider looking at Sikhism and Hinduism. There are several different paths within Hinduism though, so it would depend on the one that attracts you more. However, you still may encounter people urging you to become vegetarian, or

However, if you're reading the Tanakh (and from looking at your results) you should definitely look in to Judaism, especially Reform Judaism.

Overall, it depends on your beliefs, though: what do you believe regarding incarnations of God, the afterlife, and so on? Would you be willing to share your views with us? For example, if you don't believe in reincarnation it probably wouldn't be as worthwhile for you to look into Hinduism or Sikhism because it's pretty much one of the essentials of the faith.

I pretty much reject the idea of the incarnation of God. I believe he sends divinely inspired messengers but I have a hard time accepting the idea he would come down in some incarnation. Then again I wouldn't reject it entirely out of hand as I could not possibly claim to know what God can or won't do.

The afterlife I'm not so sure about I have a hard time accepting something like hell but don't entirely reject the idea either. I also can't rule out the ideas of reincarnation. Honestly I find the afterlife not to be a major focus for myself but rather living a good life in the here and now and whatever comes, comes. All I can say is that good deeds are rewarded and that while a faith in deity is great I don't believe one would be condemned for not believing in God or the correct version of God. I believe God has spoken to all people on the planet through various servants and the message was likely tailored towards what knowledge they had and belief systems they already had in place.

Any religion that encourages study, questioning, and continued interpretation is a definite plus as I have a hard time accepting anything that is unmoving and unquestioned.

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
If you pretty much reject the idea of incarnations of God then Vaishnava Hinduism (Vishnu-centric Hinduism) is out of the picture. You could look at Shaiva Hinduism (Shiva-centric Hinduism) I suppose; it doesn't have incarnations. Sikhism is still on the menu too-- however, I do feel that Judaism would definitely be worth you studying and may be the best choice for you. Have you been to the Judaism DIRs yet? If not, I would really recommend it.

Dingbat

If you pretty much reject the idea of incarnations of God then Vaishnava Hinduism (Vishnu-centric Hinduism) is out of the picture. You could look at Shaiva Hinduism (Shiva-centric Hinduism) I suppose; it doesn't have incarnations. Sikhism is still on the menu too-- however, I do feel that Judaism would definitely be worth you studying and may be the best choice for you. Have you been to the Judaism DIRs yet? If not, I would really recommend it.

No not yet though I do have to thank you as it was the two I had narrowed it down to Judaism and Sikhism. You have been an incredible help and I will look into those two more deeply.:D

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
No not yet though I do have to thank you as it was the two I had narrowed it down to Judaism and Sikhism. You have been an incredible help and I will look into those two more deeply.:D
Very welcome. :)

If you want to know where to read the Sikh holy text, just let me know. It's a good read nonetheless. Songs the whole way through. :)

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

If you want to look into Judaism, one thing I'd recommend is Jewish Literacy by Joseph Telushkin. From reading your posts, it might be a good fit for you; while there are certain beliefs that are common for the majority of Jews, there is a lot (such as the afterlife and reincarnation) that are up to personal interpretation.

Dingbat

If you want to look into Judaism, one thing I'd recommend is Jewish Literacy by Joseph Telushkin. From reading your posts, it might be a good fit for you; while there are certain beliefs that are common for the majority of Jews, there is a lot (such as the afterlife and reincarnation) that are up to personal interpretation.

Thank you so much for the suggestion I will have to check it out. Most books I could find recommended typically talked about the Conversion process. This will make an excellent addition to my study of the Tanakh.:D

Very welcome. :)

If you want to know where to read the Sikh holy text, just let me know. It's a good read nonetheless. Songs the whole way through. :)
I will definitely check it out. The best thing about this whole process has been the learning of other belief systems it is very enlightening.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Thank you so much for the suggestion I will have to check it out. Most books I could find recommended typically talked about the Conversion process. This will make an excellent addition to my study of the Tanakh.:D

You're quite welcome!

I really like that book; it is just a bunch of small sections (anywhere from a half page to a few pages) on so many ideas and issues. And at the end of each section is a short bibliography and reading list, so it can be used to build a larger library as well.

I bought it when I first started looking into Judaism myself, ,and it proved to be extremely helpful.

Dingbat

Just figured I would provide an update here. Still continuing the search to see where I land but taking a less frantic pace with the whole thing. I have to say I have quite enjoyed studying Islam so far and there was quite a lot to learn and to digest. Can't really understand the whole anti-Homosexual thing I have seen in Conservative Christianity but alas C'est la vie.

I have picked up Karen Armstrong's "A History of God" which is quite good and very illuminating especially in regards to early Monotheism. Definitely opens the mind to the fact that humanity tries very hard to define God and always seems to fall quite short in the matter. Still no idea where I am going but I continue the reading and studying anyways.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I have picked up Karen Armstrong's "A History of God" which is quite good and very illuminating especially in regards to early Monotheism. Definitely opens the mind to the fact that humanity tries very hard to define God and always seems to fall quite short in the matter.
Nice one. Armstrong is an amazing author; I have a lot of respect for her.

Still no idea where I am going but I continue the reading and studying anyways.
Sounds good; which paths are you learning about right now?

Dingbat

Nice one. Armstrong is an amazing author; I have a lot of respect for her.

Sounds good; which paths are you learning about right now?

Right now I am just doing a general overview of the various Abrahamic Faiths via Karen Armstrong which has led me to questioning why I continue to operate through a Abrahamic Framework. I guess it was the part of "A History of God" in which the Romans and Greeks began to view the various gods as different facets of the Divine whereas Judaism began more hardline about no other gods. I guess seeing that Monotheism was more adopted for the fact of uniting a scattered group of people it leads me to question why I follow the framework of Divinity.

At this point I think I will still take a look at the various Mystic beliefs of the Abrahamic faiths, Paganism/Polytheism, Hinduism, and Sikhism. It is a few of the ones I have no spent much time studying before. All I can say at this point is the Abrahamic faiths are leaving me disappointed and questioning why God is so contradictory and jealous. Truly if he is God he wouldn't demand such ludicrous things of humanity nor demand the smashing of the false Gods.

I guess the biggest thing I liked and might have not been the point Armstrong was pushing but it is what I took from it. That the Divine isn't remote from humanity as the Abrahamic Faiths latter adopted but the Roman and Greeks believed there was something inherently Divine within humanity and it is something I have always thought about even when I was younger. At this point I don't know if I will adopt any set creed but I am expanding and meditating on what I do believe and how that jives with the world around me.

Last edited: