• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking a Path after Losing Faith

WillEast

Premium Member
All,

I have been a seeker for a long time. I grew up Catholic, became atheist and then joined various groups including the Hare Krishnas and Eckankar. Now I have started to have this negative feeling when reading religious texts. I don't have a sincere faith or belief in many of the concepts like a God or the different masters or deities. It is too hard for me to believe in this God. I am not sure exactly what I believe in now but it is not some all knowing and all powerful God. I still have other spiritual beliefs such as karma and reincarnation. I used to enjoy the community of a Church or groups listed but it feels wrong now for me to belong to them since I don't share their beliefs. I would like to gain some feedback from others on choosing a path when my beliefs are uncertain. Thank-you, Billy

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
All,

I have been a seeker for a long time. I grew up Catholic, became atheist and then joined various groups including the Hare Krishnas and Eckankar. Now I have started to have this negative feeling when reading religious texts. I don't have a sincere faith or belief in many of the concepts like a God or the different masters or deities. It is too hard for me to believe in this God. I am not sure exactly what I believe in now but it is not some all knowing and all powerful God. I still have other spiritual beliefs such as karma and reincarnation. I used to enjoy the community of a Church or groups listed but it feels wrong now for me to belong to them since I don't share their beliefs. I would like to gain some feedback from others on choosing a path when my beliefs are uncertain. Thank-you, Billy
Welcome to the forum. :)

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
All,

You and many other people express this. You are not the first I have heard say something like it. They don't all have your precise list of experiences, but they kind of say similar things and then pass through RF. Sometimes they stick around, too.

Have you considered volunteer work? You could start your own volunteer organization, too. Look online for volunteer web sites.

What lots of religious groups have in common is that they don't do anything much, so you're there passively. Its like watching an endless parade or an endless cheer rally. At first it may seem exciting, but sooner or later you get hungry and bored.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi Billy,

I see your current religious identity is Hindu. An "all knowing all powerful God" is more an Abrahamic concept than a Hindu one.

What Hindu deities have you worked with, if any, and what have you learned of them?

I'll also point out that faith or belief in god concepts is not a requisite of Hinduism. There are Hindus that are atheist (we have one here on the forum that is usually active).

Which religious texts are you getting a negative feeling about?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
All,

Go back home where you started before all the crazy religious stuff was introduced.

WillEast

Premium Member
You and many other people express this. You are not the first I have heard say something like it. They don't all have your precise list of experiences, but they kind of say similar things and then pass through RF. Sometimes they stick around, too.

Have you considered volunteer work? You could start your own volunteer organization, too. Look online for volunteer web sites.

What lots of religious groups have in common is that they don't do anything much, so you're there passively. Its like watching an endless parade or an endless cheer rally. At first it may seem exciting, but sooner or later you get hungry and bored.

Thank-you. It was refreshing to hear the commonalities of experience I share with others.

PureX

Veteran Member
All,

Sounds like you have finally stopped letting other people define God for you, and that's a good thing.

My only comment is that you don't have to pretend that you know who/what God is to have faith. Because faith is a choice, not some pretense of knowledge. It's choosing to trust in this mystery we call God simply because you want to, or need to, and because you find that in doing so, your experience of life improves.

Faith is how we live with doubt and our unknowing. It's how we keep moving forward when we don't know where we're going or how to get there.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
All,

Why do you want a "Path"?

And how can a person " choose" to believe
somethung?

F1fan

Veteran Member
Why need a path at all?

Back in college we were assigned an essay by a philosopher who argued that "being confused" and uncertain is THE correct and truthful way for we humans. We can never answer every question, so we can never feel secure. Religious dogmas have been successful because believers are willing to accept those dogmas as absolute when they are the farthest thing from absolute and certain. To accept dogma means self-deception, and that is not truth.

The real path for truth is self-awareness. The book and films* A Razor's Edge is a story of a man dissatisfied with status quo life in America and travels the world to find the truth. He traveled thinking the truth was out there in some book, in some place, out there to be found and consumed, but it turned out the truth was his experience in traveling, as he learned who he was.

Westerners learn to see truth as it is some garment we put on, and that we are saved as a result. But this cloak is just a shell for a hollow self that suffocates our spirit. Being uncomfortable is a sign that we are on the right path, and there is no way to know how long it will take. Truth is an honest journey, not some final destination.

* Fun fact, when Bill Murray agreed to act in Ghostbusters he made it contingent that the studio film a remake of A Razor's Edge in 1984. I think it was a sign of his future non-comedic roles, and he did an incredible job. And he still managed to be funny.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hi Billy,

I see your current religious identity is Hindu. An "all knowing all powerful God" is more an Abrahamic concept than a Hindu one.

What Hindu deities have you worked with, if any, and what have you learned of them?

I'll also point out that faith or belief in god concepts is not a requisite of Hinduism. There are Hindus that are atheist (we have one here on the forum that is usually active).

Which religious texts are you getting a negative feeling about?
You stole my questions.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I would like to gain some feedback from others on choosing a path when my beliefs are uncertain.

My feedback is to not try to rush the process. You might explore, learn about or more about various alternatives without trying to choose one or another until the time is ripe and something "clicks" for you.

And how can a person " choose" to believe
somethung?

I agree with you, in part. A choice made by the intellect as one chooses what to have for dinner or wear today is a superficial choice and most likely not satisfying for long. When I decided to propose to my wife, I did not go down a list of attributes, weigh them on a scale and make a choice. Rather my whole being, my heart, said "she's the one". Similarly when I aligned myself with a spiritual path, I did not choose it intellectually but KNEW it was the right one for me.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Try starting with what you do instead of what you believe. In many religions, it's not about beliefs, but practices. Feelings. Experiences.

I'm obviously biased here as someone whose religion focuses on lived experiences and practices, but I feel like the dialogues about religion in the English-speaking world fixate way too much on creeds and beliefs. Not that such things are unimportant, but when they flow out of who you are, what you do, what you experience? That's how you find the right religion for you.

Audie

Veteran Member
My feedback is to not try to rush the process. You might explore, learn about or more about various alternatives without trying to choose one or another until the time is ripe and something "clicks" for you.

I agree with you, in part. A choice made by the intellect as one chooses what to have for dinner or wear today is a superficial choice and most likely not satisfying for long. When I decided to propose to my wife, I did not go down a list of attributes, weigh them on a scale and make a choice. Rather my whole being, my heart, said "she's the one". Similarly when I aligned myself with a spiritual path, I did not choose it intellectually but KNEW it was the right one for me.
That isn't knowing or a choice.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
All,

I have been a seeker for a long time. I grew up Catholic, became atheist and then joined various groups including the Hare Krishnas and Eckankar.
Interesting in how your progression is similar to mine.
All,

Now I have started to have this negative feeling when reading religious texts. I don't have a sincere faith or belief in many of the concepts like a God or the different masters or deities. It is too hard for me to believe in this God. I am not sure exactly what I believe in now but it is not some all knowing and all powerful God. I still have other spiritual beliefs such as karma and reincarnation. I used to enjoy the community of a Church or groups listed but it feels wrong now for me to belong to them since I don't share their beliefs. I would like to gain some feedback from others on choosing a path when my beliefs are uncertain. Thank-you, Billy
I have found Advaita Vedanta philosophy as my foundation and am personally quite comfortable with this.

I still love the Bhagavad Gita. Why do you feeling a falling out with that text?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
All,

Have you tried the belief-o-matic quiz? It's not perfect, but it's informative.