• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking a belief....

American Wolf

Spiritual seeking Teen
I'm 17 and seeking spirituality, i don't know where to turn anymore.
As for beliefs i feel as though there is/are a god/gods.
Any suggestions? I will take anything as long as you explain a little about it.

I second the recommendation of the Belief-O-Matic.

To be honest, though, what I've come to understand is that the easiest way to decide what you believe is to learn as much as you can about the various beliefs out there. Through considering what you agree with and what you don't you formulate your own opinions on things, and once you're sure of what it is that YOU feel about the various issues of faith you can determine if there's a specific path that seems to fit you more than others.

Forums like this are good for that, where you're exposed to all sorts of different ways of thought and involved in conversations that challenge you to think through how you really feel.

Best of luck to you, and I hope, wherever you end up in the search for truth, that it fulfills and sustains you! :)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Just did belief-o-matic:
100% unitarian universalism
97% Mahayana Buddhist

My lowest were:
LDS, Jehovah's Witness

i guess i wont advise you to look into my religion then :D

But I just wanted to say something about 'belie-o-matic' as a source of discovering your religious path

Its not a particularly reliable source if it is based on ones own concept of God.
"Answer 20 questions about your concept of God, the afterlife, human nature, and more, and Belief-O-Matic™ will tell you what religion (if any) you practice...or ought to consider practicing."

Now, if there is a God out there, then this is surely not the way to find him because our own minds are limited by our own experience. Seeing we are the creations, should we not rather learn the mind of the 'Creator' and allow our minds to come into harmony with his? There are holy books that you can examine to find out about him and his views. I would recommend the bible to you.

:)

American Wolf

Spiritual seeking Teen
Pegg-i do own many a holy book, included the bible i'll read more of it tonight. :)
Storm-I meant what do they believe?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Storm-I meant what do they believe?
Oh, sorry. Bit scatterbrained! :eek:

UU is a covenantal faith founded on the 7 Principles rather than doctrine:
There are seven principles which Unitarian Universalist congregations affirm and promote:

1. The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
  2. Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
  3. Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
  4. A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
  5. The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
  6. The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
  7. Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
We even offer classes like Build Your Own Theology.

horizon_mj1

One thing I can suggest is reading, not just the King James version of the Bible (I prefer this version for being the oldest English translation), the Koran, The Tibetan Book of the Dead, The Secrets of Enoch. These are all very good books dealing directly with spirituality. There are others I would suggest, but these are some of the ones I believe helps build a "spiritual foundation".

Boethiah

Penguin
Yes, read whatever you can from a variety of sources I say. Gaining knowledge is a good way to come to a conclusion. Also, do not be afraid of developing your own spirituality or drawing from unconventional sources. Whatever works for you is good for you.

xkatz

I agree with Boethiah. You should look at all perspectives and try to gain knowledge. Furthermore, as a former "seeker" myself, I suggest you look into any religion, sect, or belief that interest you (as long as it doesn't involve joining a dangerous cult). I did that and it helped me immensely get to were am I today. If possible, go to the functions of said religions, as it helps you often better understand the cultural and theological background of a religion. If you enjoy it, continue going, if not, then you'll know it's not for you. Good luck seeking! If you want I am more than happy to talk with you about my journey and experiences :)

Last edited:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I agree with the above poster - but I would offer some other advice - in addition. If you look at every religion, you are going to be thouroughly confused - there are just too many options, and, if you are like me, you will end up being even more confused than when you started.

Try going somewhere quiet - outdoors, in the country, where you can't be distracted, and just relax, and see what comes into your mind; you cannot be influenced by what others say - you and you alone are the one who must make the choice - and I wish you the very best........... I am sure that one day, things will fall into place - whatever your heart tells you "what is right for you" - be it atheism, Christianity, or Islam - or any of the hundreds of other options.

rsd

ACBSP77
I feel you will know which way to turn when the time is right. But it takes some intensity on your part. How bad do you want to know?

elmarna

what you believe is who you are.
To place a label on you would not be how I would approach it.
To conform to a formula kind of looses YOU!
try writeing a outline of your beliefs values & how you approach life.
Then: look to see which religion falls within your perameters!

wmjbyatt

Lunatic from birth
I do not believe that you can you get what you want spiritually by reading alone. Let it be known that this comes from a Philosophy major, and all we do is read and talk. But to find and cultivate the depth of one's own spirituality, we have to be willing to break away from dogmatic conceptualizations and directly experience our own soul. We have to be willing to recognize existing belief systems as simply discursive and guiding frameworks that aid in communication. Deep and lasting spiritual fulfillment cannot come, however, when one has deidentified one's beliefs into that of a larger group or movement: we have to strike out individually with a community that serves as personal support, not as a justifying or validating agent. This is why the mystical hermits go sit in caves listening to water dropping for decades.

If you wish to realize and actualize your own spiritual self (or no[t]-self, as the case may be), read and understand, yes, but also spend time directly cultivating your spirituality in meditation (which requires no specific structure, you choose your own meditative style, although I'm sure people here will be willing to advise from their own experiences if you just don't know where to begin).

Remember that no matter what language you end up using to describe your belief structure, absolute truth is beyond the scope of language (this is a non-mystical fact, mathematically and logically derivable: see Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus for the most famous argument). The words themselves can blind, confuse, and limit us. Be willing to flow beyond the space of words, ideas, and doctrine.

Fear nothing, and love everything, and you will find your Way.

Yanni

Here is a great link to a wonderful website that will hopefully answer all of your questions: Judaism - The Jewish Website. There is also a wonderful book on the beauty of Judaism and what a fulfilling life Orthodox Judaism has to offer: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Judaism, 2nd Edition - Rabbi Benjamin Blech - Complete Idiot's Guides.

Plus, look at this article about the 7 Noahide Laws: The 7 Noachide Laws.

Please feel free to ask me any questions.