• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seed of Abraham.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Biblically speaking Jesus and I are brothers and I NEVER question His authority. For some reason, you are reading something into what I said.

It seemed to be a reaction to when I said "Jesus replaced the priesthood" with himself. As if you were defending a supreme authority of men such as the pope, priests or the teacher/student type relationship found in most protestant churches. Because where it says "you are all brothers, is synonymous with you are all equal" , But when Jesus said he was our brother was in a different context.

So I think you were using some terms at the wrong time. (as we all do from time to time) Such as another one, "Godhead". God is One doesn't apply when talking about if Jesus is the Father. Since Jesus is not the Father, Jesus is the Lord. But the term "God is one" is used to say that Jesus is like his Father.

John D. Brey

But for the meaning of prophecy fulfillment, Jesus was the Son of Sarah because of his bloodline and miraculous birth. So you become one with Jesus by receiving the Holy Spirit which makes you a son in an unatural way and retroactively a son of Sarah, seed of Abraham and heirs to the promise.

. . . What's the miraculous nature of Isaac's birth? And how does that miracle relate to the miraculous nature of Jesus' birth? In other words, the bible isn't willy-nilly. There must be a clear relationship between the very nature of the "miraculous" element of Isaac's birth, and the miracle of Jesus's birth? The miracles should be parallel in some sense?

John

Last edited:

Kemosloby

Premium Member
. . . What's the miraculous nature of Isaac's birth? And how does that miracle relate to the miraculous nature of Jesus' birth? In other words, the bible isn't willy-nilly. There must be a clear relationship between the very nature of the "miraculous" element of Isaac's birth, and the miracle of Jesus's birth? The miracles should be parallel in some sense?

John

The miracles are parallel in the sense that one is the beginning and one is the end. God told Abraham "through Isaac your people will be reckoned" It starts with the miraculous birth of Isaac and ends with the miraculous birth of Jesus.

Isaac's mother Sarah was 90 years old when she gave birth to Isaac, which would be impossible except it was a miracle. Jesus mother Mary was a virgin which would be impossible except by miracle.

Genesis 21:12 But God said to him, "Do not be so distressed about the boy and your slave woman. Listen to whatever Sarah tells you, because it is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.

It is a veiled meaning that "through Isaac your people will be reckoned" actually means Jesus will reckon the people. And the basis is that Jesus came through the bloodline of Isaac.

Genesis 22:18 and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me."

omega2xx

It seemed to be a reaction to when I said "Jesus replaced the priesthood" with himself. As if you were defending a supreme authority of men such as the pope, priests or the teacher/student type relationship found in most protestant churches. Because where it says "you are all brothers, is synonymous with you are all equal" , But when Jesus said he was our brother was in a different context.

None that you mention are considered a supreme authority in conservative Christianity. Being a brother doe snot is not synonymous with you are all equal. We are all equal in the sense that we are all the same kin---brothers.

So I think you were using some terms at the wrong time. (as we all do from time to time) Such as another one, "Godhead". God is One doesn't apply when talking about if Jesus is the Father. Since Jesus is not the Father, Jesus is the Lord. But the term "God is one" is used to say that Jesus is like his Father.

I think I am using the term correctly. If you don''t I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

It is legitimate to make Jesus part of the Godhead. If you don't accept the Trinity, it is because you don't understand some of the Bible.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
None that you mention are considered a supreme authority in conservative Christianity. Being a brother doe snot is not synonymous with you are all equal. We are all equal in the sense that we are all the same kin---brothers.

I think I am using the term correctly. If you don''t I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

It is legitimate to make Jesus part of the Godhead. If you don't accept the Trinity, it is because you don't understand some of the Bible.

Matt 23:8 But be not you called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all you are brothers.

See where in certain context comparing the followers as brothers and Christ as brother carries a different meaning?

It's not legitimate to make Jesus part of a "Godhead" , more like Jesus is second in command in the chain of command. "Head" being a symbol of authority.

omega2xx

Matt 23:8 But be not you called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all you are brothers.

See where in certain context comparing the followers as brothers and Christ as brother carries a different meaning?

Brothers are all equal biologically and spiritually. Biblically speaking the oldest brother was the spiritual head of the clan, but he was not more equally biologically.

It's not legitimate to make Jesus part of a "Godhead" , more like Jesus is second in command in the chain of command. "Head" being a symbol of authority.

Not if you understand the doctrine of the Trinity.

John D. Brey

The miracles are parallel in the sense that one is the beginning and one is the end. God told Abraham "through Isaac your people will be reckoned" It starts with the miraculous birth of Isaac and ends with the miraculous birth of Jesus.

Isaac's mother Sarah was 90 years old when she gave birth to Isaac, which would be impossible except it was a miracle. Jesus mother Mary was a virgin which would be impossible except by miracle.

. . . The covenant through which Isaac is to be born is marked not only by the miraculous opening of Sarah's womb, but by the mark of circumcision. Therefore the mark of circumcision would seem to have a relationship to the miraculous birth of both Isaac and Jesus.

In brit milah, the Jewish ritual of circumcision, flesh is removed and blood is drawn. If the ritual represents the elimination of the male in procreation, then a couple nice theological concepts segue. Not only would Isaac be born of a virgin pregnancy (through the ritual-emasculation) but the sin-nature (passed down through the male-seed in the doctrine of original sin) will be eliminated from the ritualized virgin birth of Isaac, and the actual virgin birth of Christ.

The parallel between Isaac's miraculous birth, and Jesus' birth, seems to be related to the ritual removal of the organ through which sin is passed down in the human race. Isaac is ritually, symbolically, virgin born. Jesus is actually virgin born.

John

Kemosloby

Premium Member
. . . The covenant through which Isaac is to be born is marked not only by the miraculous opening of Sarah's womb, but by the mark of circumcision. Therefore the mark of circumcision would seem to have a relationship to the miraculous birth of both Isaac and Jesus.

In brit milah, the Jewish ritual of circumcision, flesh is removed and blood is drawn. If the ritual represents the elimination of the male in procreation, then a couple nice theological concepts segue. Not only would Isaac be born of a virgin pregnancy (through the ritual-emasculation) but the sin-nature (passed down through the male-seed in the doctrine of original sin) will be eliminated from the ritualized virgin birth of Isaac, and the actual virgin birth of Christ.

The parallel between Isaac's miraculous birth, and Jesus' birth, seems to be related to the ritual removal of the organ through which sin is passed down in the human race. Isaac is ritually, symbolically, virgin born. Jesus is actually virgin born.

John
TMI

djhwoodwerks

Galatians 3:5-7 (ESV Strong's) 5 Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith— 6 just as Abraham “believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”? 7 Know then that it is those of faith who are the sons of Abraham.