• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Security tip for GPS users

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't normally carry a GPS or a garage door opener remote in my car, but this article makes a good point that I probably wouldn't have thought of:

Car thieves target GPS units, then hit victim’s home

Police are warning the public of a “significant increase” in the theft of global positioning system units from vehicles, devices that can be used by thieves to locate the victim’s home.
Thefts are spiking, police say, with a marked 30-50 per cent increase in GPS unit thefts over the last year across the city. That’s prompted police to issue the public warning, with special emphasis on motorists who enter the exact location of their residence under the “home” address feature on many GPS units.
That can lead thieves directly to the victim’s home for further robbery, said Const. Tony Vella.
“Everyone has the responsibility to ensure the safeguard of their personal property,” said Vella, adding that in some cases, thieves can also obtain garage door openers, house keys, or other items from the victim’s vehicle, further facilitating a subsequent home burglary.
GPS unit users are encouraged to set the “home” button to a familiar intersection or business nearby, said police, so the home address is not compromised.
Car owners are also encouraged to remove GPS units, mounting equipment, and other expensive belongings from visible view when they leave their cars.

Makes sense - if you have a garage door opener or house keys in your car, you don't want to provide thieves with a device that will guide them straight to your front door.

Hmm.