• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Secular Humanism and Samkhya

ManSinha

I have been reading and trying to understand the (to me, extremely valid) viewpoints of those that profess to follow the path of secular humanism - pardon me if I inadvertently omit some names but @It Aint Necessarily So and @SkepticThinker as well as perhaps @TagliatelliMonster and @9-10ths_Penguin come to mind as those that follow this path - like I said - there are surely others and welcome to comment

Per one definition, "Secular humanism is a philosophy or life stance that embraces human reason, secular ethics, and philosophical naturalism while specifically rejecting religious dogma, supernaturalism, and superstition as the basis of morality and decision making"

When I read about the Vedanta (the so called "Hindu" philosophies) - derived from a study of the Vedas - this is one of the definitions I find:

"Sāmkhya is an enumerationist philosophy whose epistemology accepts three of six pramanas (proofs) as the only reliable means of gaining knowledge - perception, inference and the testimony of reliable sources
The existence of God or a supreme being is not directly asserted nor considered relevant by the Samkhya philosophers. Sāṃkhya denies the final cause of Ishvara (God)"

There is also focus on intellect and ego as well as consciousness to the extent that some non-Indian scholars who have studied it e.g. Paul Deussen and Mike Burley - have called it an atheistic philosophy.

Perhaps one of the biggest differences that I stumbled on was the focus on the self - a thread, I might add, that at least I have found running consistently throughout the dharmic faiths.

I would love to have comments on the potential similarities or differences - and whether following one path is compatible with accepting the other

Last edited:

leov

I have been reading and trying to understand the (to me, extremely valid) viewpoints of those that profess to follow the path of secular humanism - pardon me if I inadvertently omit some names but @It Aint Necessarily So and @SkepticThinker as well as perhaps @TagliatelliMonster and @9-10ths_Penguin come to mind as those that follow this path - like I said - there are surely others and welcome to comment

Per one definition, "Secular humanism is a philosophy or life stance that embraces human reason, secular ethics, and philosophical naturalism while specifically rejecting religious dogma, supernaturalism, and superstition as the basis of morality and decision making"

When I read about the Vedanta (the so called "Hindu" philosophies) - derived from a study of the Vedas - this is one of the definitions I find:

"Sāmkhya is an enumerationist philosophy whose epistemology accepts three of six pramanas (proofs) as the only reliable means of gaining knowledge - perception, inference and the testimony of reliable sources
The existence of God or a supreme being is not directly asserted nor considered relevant by the Samkhya philosophers. Sāṃkhya denies the final cause of Ishvara (God)"

There is also focus on intellect and ego as well as consciousness to the extent that some non-Indian scholars who have studied it have e.g. Paul Deussen and Mike Burley - have called it an atheistic philosophy.

Perhaps one of the biggest differences that I stumbled on was the focus on the self - a thread I might add that at least I have found running consistently throughout the dharmic faiths.

I would love to have comments on the potential similarities or differences - and whether following one path is compatible with accepting the other
Every person has his or her spot on stairway of spiritual hierarchy with corresponding level of spiritual understanding. Gnostic Christian adept Paul said:
"3By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible.
Mentioned God as the thought behind existing worlds spiritual an material.
The same adept said that people's understanding of the combined cosmos is either spiritual, in between, or material. Imo, it explains variety of creeds we always had. The same adept noted having love - agape as ultimate tool of soul connection in agreement. Secular humanists do not see themselves as product of evolution of consciousness whatever it was...

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Well, then I am not a humanist, because I don't do philosophical naturalism.
I "hate" when people steal something and claim it only belongs to the non-religious humans. So much for secular humanism are for all humans. In that version it is a secular religion.
Philosophical naturalism is no different than religion as far as I can tell. It is subjective in the end.

Regards
Mikkel