• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Secrets of Spiritual Happiness

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Here's a great book available to read online ...

http://www.spiritual-happiness.com/

Hard 2 pick out one section -

Ultimately, happiness is elusive due to misguided ideas about what happiness truly is, and how it can be nurtured. After all, how many of us have really contemplated what happiness is? We put so much time and effort - first into years of schoolwork, and then into toiling long hours for our households and workplaces. Yet, how much time have we actually put into contemplating what thoughts and actions will create greater happiness in our lives and in the world? When is the last time you really sat quietly and contemplated what happiness means to you?

Enjoy!

Animore

Ultimately, happiness is elusive due to misguided ideas about what happiness truly is, and how it can be nurtured. After all, how many of us have really contemplated what happiness is? We put so much time and effort - first into years of schoolwork, and then into toiling long hours for our households and workplaces. Yet, how much time have we actually put into contemplating what thoughts and actions will create greater happiness in our lives and in the world? When is the last time you really sat quietly and contemplated what happiness means to you?

Enjoy!

Please don't tell me it's the same kind of "spiritual happiness" as that Truth Contest mumbo-jumbo.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

Enjoy!
Hmmm. just a first thought...while I value contemplation, I probably do more than I should. What I find more valuable is actual experience--doing things, with the people that matter...the something that gives you grist for contemplation...

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Enjoy!

I always felt uncomfortable thinking about happiness, salvation, enlightenment, or however named. It makes me feel we are cheating the actual experience of life when we are yearning for tomorrow, hurting from the past, which blinds us to the present.

For example, if I really want to go to a party with my friend in a week, if I keep thinking about it, 100 percent every time I think about it too much, it never goes through. It's not magic but it's the law of something. To me, it tells me not to expect heaven and happiness but to make what you have a journey and appreciate the journey to no where.

For example, I am creating a drawing journal. I never done that before. I've always thought journals are for writing, like writing diaries. As I'm talking with my therapist, we are doing art therapy, and he says "everything is not going to solve itself overnight." When we think "I want to be happy" that's exactly what I think we are doing, hoping that our passion for this happiness will happen overnight regardless of what we think, the point of having the passion for that goal/happiness is saying-I look more to the future than now.

So, I don't see comfort in happiness. That reflection and going through the Christian faith and SGI, etc, made me think of how happiness is perceived by other people not just in these respective religions, but as a whole. It was somewhat of a psychology class to show me that people "really do" want paradise.

I like "traditional" Buddhism because it is realistic in that even enlightenment is not paradise but free from suffering is understanding the nature of life. It's by this understanding that our suffering is addressed. It isn't changing the laws of nature. The Buddha taught there is cause and affect in life. It's just to expect perfect understanding by relief of suffering is like breaking the laws of nature to bend to our will and purpose.

Maybe that's why religions that focus on "happy endings" don't work for me. I thought a bit about happiness and it made me depressed. I think my thoughts would be how to deal with this life and even more so how to be comfortable with change, responsibility, and dying. How to understanding suffering and pain not to bypass it to relieve it magically. Of course, we want to end suffering and we translate that as happiness. I don't see end of suffering as happiness because it's saying that we want nature and life to be how we want it to be.

Life doesn't work that way.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Happiness comes and goes.

True enuf! However there are measures one can take 2 improve your experience of happiness.

I am definitely a LOT happier ever since I started 2 CONSCIOUSLY cultivate kind & compassionate thoughts towards my fellow beings!

All the best.

whirlingmerc

Might depend also on what you consider happiness.... joy and satisfaction might have been better terms... and is it short term or long term?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Might depend also on what you consider happiness.... joy and satisfaction might have been better terms... and is it short term or long term?

I would say that ultimate happiness only comes when you are fully enlightened and that is still a rarity ...

Cheers

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Speaking of enlightenment ...

Try the following search -

Osho quotes enlightenment

Here's a little taste -

"Meditation slowly, slowly turns into your enlightenment. You suddenly become aware one day, where is that darkness? where is that continuous rush of thoughts? where has the mind gone? Suddenly you are absolutely as hollow as a bamboo; but your hollowness is not empty – it is full of joy and full of rejoicing. You will dance for no reason at all, you will sing for no reason at all, songs that you have not composed, dances that you have not learned. They are just bubbling spontaneously in your consciousness."

All the best!

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Despite taking pride in everything I am, not having a single regret in life, and often experiencing moments of extreme pleasure and euphoria... living in a perpetual state of happiness is not something I seek or desire, as it would limit my potential and cast a veil over my eyes from perceiving things I Will to perceive, and experiencing things I Will to experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Straw Dog

Must we feel 'happy' all the time? How boring.. Sometimes I watch myself feel sad and it becomes a beautiful sadness. Sometimes I watch myself feel angry, and it becomes a beautiful anger. Happy, sad, angry are all transitory emotional states within the stream of consciousness. Watch them ebb and flow.