• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

secret knowledge

Electra

Do you feel that some knowledge should only be passed to those you know can 'handle it'?

Or should all knowledge be free for all?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Do you feel that some knowledge should only be passed to those you know can 'handle it'?

Some people aren't worth the knowledge, as if they have it they use it to scheme and harm others. You deserve nothing, I deserve nothing, and we owe each other nothing. We share what we feel the other people are worth as a gift, but they are in no position to demand nor are they worth anything more.

Satanists face this dilemma constantly in terms of being persecuted by mainstream faiths. What advantage would I have to share such information with others in public? Certainly, I do not hide the fact I just don't advertise. I'd die in Satan's name quite willingly, so fear isn't the problem. It still doesn't stop those people from ruining your career opportunities or those of your family and the like -- there is very little profit to sharing that information even though it is the truth. It makes them focus on efforts that ultimately do not help them (they might actually need skills you can provide and they'd be better off cooperating with you) or you (you probably really need the money or whatever else that is traded).

I simply ask myself in every dilemma such as this, does the truth do more ultimate harm than good? If I am brutally honest at the expense of the feelings and thoughts of those around me just so that I can boost my ego about feeling as such it is my ego that is the problem of this equation. Thus, I recommend the same to you -- there is no need to be honest where such honesty harms all the parties involved. There is no need to feel guilty about keeping the peace in this manner, either. However, if it is a matter of defending ones personal beliefs... You have no beliefs if you will not bleed for them in the literal sense they are just ideas you fancy. Put that in perspective and act accordingly...

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

Rhetorical questions such as this are born broke; they are ill-conceived and almost never thought out.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Whether or not knowledge should be free for all is somewhat irrelevant given knowledge is not a physical object and tends to resist any human attempts at containment.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

one man's trash is another man's treasure, pass it on.

"I have spoken openly to the world," Jesus replied. "I always taught in synagogues or at the temple, where all the Jews come together. I said nothing in secret.:p

WalterTrull

Godfella
I am fascinated by the seemingly exponential advances in technology rendering the concept of privacy almost moot. Probably for the best. Shortly, secret knowledge will probably only be that if no one wants it .

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Conceptually, perhaps. In practice, probably not.

I'm seeing a lot of differences in practice. Many privacy issues involve physical space, which is a different beast than ideas. As an example, I do not see it becoming legal to randomly barge into someone's house (a privacy violation). Nor do I see it becoming legal to steal that person's diary to get the knowledge contained within. You only get to steal people's diaries if that person is an idiot and puts it on the internet. :D

WalterTrull

Godfella
I'm seeing a lot of differences in practice. Many privacy issues involve physical space, which is a different beast than ideas. As an example, I do not see it becoming legal to randomly barge into someone's house (a privacy violation). Nor do I see it becoming legal to steal that person's diary to get the knowledge contained within. You only get to steal people's diaries if that person is an idiot and puts it on the internet. :D
Current practice, perhaps. I foresee a time when physical space is not an impediment. Snooper technology flourishes. Against the law only means that the technology is limited to government and crooks. (Easily confused)

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Half understood knowledge can be dangerous. Telling a child how to use a gun, or half understood evolutionary theory in the hand of racists.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Current practice, perhaps. I foresee a time when physical space is not an impediment. Snooper technology flourishes. Against the law only means that the technology is limited to government and crooks. (Easily confused)

Well, this conversation got seriously creepy.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

By definition, secret knowledge should, in theory, remain secret. That said, I'm not big on secrets and my gut feeling is if someone is standing before me, the universe has placed them there for a reason. The difficulty is translating my perception into terms they can understand. Plus, there is always the possibility that they are there to teach me something.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
How to build an atomic bomb is something that should probably not be available to the general public.

GoodbyeDave

Rhetorical questions such as this are born broke; they are ill-conceived and almost never thought out.
Since when has this question been rhetorical? There have been plenty of traditions which have argued for maintaining secrecy. That includes the Jewish cabala, although I never had any trouble finding documentation, from the Sefer Yetzirah to Moses Luzzatto. Of course, I might not have been getting real secrets…

My own religion is a prime case of secret knowledge. There were many secret mysteries, such as those of Eleusis, whose secrecy was so profound that we cannot revive them, unless the gods chose to re-establish them.