• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Secession

Lintu

Do you think the United States would be better off if it were to be split into a group that approves of theocracy and a group that does not? Sometimes I feel like we'd all be a lot happier if we were able to live in communities that represent our own values rather than having to put up with others' values pushed upon us. (I'm picturing a state with freedom of marriage, no censorship, women's rights, etc, and it sure sounds nice...) Wouldn't it be better for those who want the theocracy as well?

(Note that I haven't thought through this completely; it's just a random thought that came to mind and my first instinct is that it would be wonderful. I'm sure there is some downside).

Prima

Hmm. I think it's the nature of society to be divided, and if we started doing that kind of thing, we'd end up with 'countries' made up of about five people - and they'd still be bickering! (RF Land, anyone? :D) Think about the Christian Church - first there was one...then two...then three...now there's a gazillion Christian denominations.

Historically (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) I can't think of any theocracies that have been very successful.

Pah

Uber all member
There is a group within the Restoration Movement that would like to move to South Carolina and then succeed
ChristianExodus.org has been established to coordinate the move of 50,000 or more Christians to a single conservative state in the U.S. for the express purpose of reestablishing constitutional governance. It is evident that our Constitution has been abandoned under our current federal system. The efforts of Christian activism have proven futile over the past five decades and, whereas desperate times require desperate measures, we are now in the most desperate of times. The federal government is considering whether marriage, the foundation of civilization since Creation, should be reserved solely to a man and a woman. Christians must now draw a line in the sand and unite in a sovereign state to dissolve our bond with the current union comprised as the United States of America.
http://www.thegreatseparation.com/newsfront/2004/05/some_christians.html
ChristianExodus.org is moving thousands of Christians to South Carolina to reestablish constitutionally limited government founded upon Christian principles. This includes the return to South Carolina of all "powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States." 1 It is evident that the U.S. Constitution has been abandoned under our current federal system, and the efforts of Christian activism to restore our Godly republic have proven futile over the past three decades. The time has come for Christian Constitutionalists to protect our American principles in a State like South Carolina by interposing the State's sovereign authority retained under the 10th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution
.http://christianexodus.org/

Faminedynasty

How lovely that hatred and fear of homosexuals (errrrr their admiration for marriage between a man and a woman) is the key issue that causes them to want to seceed.
Sure why not. Let's let the whole south go. It can be a theocratic Jesusland where homosexuality and abortion are illegal, women are second class citizens, science is considered a "theory" or perhaps just a tool of tricky intellectuals to distract you from your Biblical readings. Let's let them be as backward, ignorant and closed minded as they want to be. Let's let them launch as many hate crusades as they want. And when their society falls into economic ruin, they live in horrific poverty and ignorance and can't feed their white anglo saxon protestant children... We the logical, the reasonable, the compassionate will provide humanitarian aid. It will be a costly opperation, because a society entirely devoid of logic and reason will be a pathetic sight indeed and will require constant aid from us just to ensure their survival. But the sacrifices we must make in order to grant them the freedom to be as ignorant as they please is well worth it, considering that their disasterous influence will be gone from our political system and we can resume moving towards democracy.