• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle Artists Arrested

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
This country is getting more bizzare by the minute.

While I think its dishonest and glad it's exposed, I don't think it warrants any prison time.

Probably a civil suit would be more appropriate.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So both the merchants and merchandise were fake?
I think I find the counterfeit crafts more blameworthy. You meet people misrepresenting themselves every day.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This country is getting more bizzare by the minute.

While I think its dishonest and glad it's exposed, I don't think it warrants any prison time.

Probably a civil suit would be more appropriate.
Making forgeries criminal is useful.
Civil suits alone as remedy couldn't keep
up with prolific forgers, who could easily
make themselves uncollectible.
Thus, it's useful to make fraud a crime.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it's the fact that they were passing themselves off as Natives, creating "native" art, and then profiting off of it's sale, which is the crime. Not the pretending to be native.
Its like...some kind of mental blindness. Some people are so audacious and unscrupulous. It wouldn't even have occurred to me to do this, and I don't know why. I would instantly be aware that I was an imposter. I'd feel like an imposter. It just seems very odd to think "I know. I'll pretend to be Amish, so I can charge higher prices."

Twilight Hue

Its like...some kind of mental blindness. Some people are so audacious and unscrupulous. It wouldn't even have occurred to me to do this, and I don't know why. I would instantly be aware that I was an imposter. I'd feel like an imposter. It just seems very odd to think "I know. I'll pretend to be Amish, so I can charge higher prices."
Kind of reminds me of Amish mafia where people pretended to be Amish on a reality show that misrepresented the real Amish for ratings profit.

It raised up quite a stir for a bit.

The fact that a person can get arrested for pretending to be someone or something else sets a very disturbing trend imo.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think it's the fact that they were passing themselves off as Natives, creating "native" art, and then profiting off of it's sale, which is the crime.
It is indeed a crime to do exactly that. I forget what's it called but I've seen it on tags amd signs of American Indian stores. It kind of reminded me of the paperback book warning that if the book is missing the covers it may be stolen.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Kind of reminds me of Amish mafia where people pretended to be Amish on a reality show that misrepresented the real Amish for ratings profit.

It raised up quite a stir for a bit.

The fact that a person can get arrested for pretending to be someone or something else sets a very disturbing trend imo.
It's not just the pretending to be, it's especially the forged goods that are passed off as authentic. That in general is a crime. Kind of like with forged designer clothes, except Prada doesn't have the same broad appeal as Native art, and not as vulnerable to exploitation.

Twilight Hue

It's not just the pretending to be, it's especially the forged goods that are passed off as authentic. That in general is a crime. Except Prada doesn't have the same broad appeal as Native art, and not as vulnerable to exploitation.
It's why I see this as more of a civil matter than a criminal one.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If I sell you speakers labeled as Boise that I made from bargain bin parts and a 3D printed case then I have broken the law, and for good reason. I scammed you and violated copyright/patent (I don't recall the exact difference at this moment) laws, and it is possible the counterfeit items will continue down being passed off as authentic beyond the initial transaction.
Really, there are possibly many laws this can be prosecuted with. But it just so happens there is a specific one that helps protects Native art and artifacts from being flooded with counterfeit items.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There is often intersection between civil & criminal
when public interest is served by the latter.
Consider predatory lenders who change contract
terms without informing borrowers. Were this
strictly a civil matter, they'd get away with it easily.
But making such fraud a crime gives the state attorney
general power to prosecute offenders, & make the
victims whole. This also sends a message that keeps
other would-be fraudsters in line.

PureX

Veteran Member
They weren't "artists", they were con men. And they were stealing from the real native artists who's work they were copying. Thus, they should be treated like any other criminal that lies, cheats, and steals form people.