• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Searching...

WisdomSeeker

Seeking knowledge...
I am in a state of religious confusion. I have been an atheist for my whole life nearly. I am 18 years old, and have decided that, while I do admire atheists like Richard Dawkins etc. I should look into religion myself to discover the truth from the inside. Otherwise, what right do I have to criticize, when I am just blindly following myself?
So, if anyone wishes to help me out in my search, please post your advice here, or in a PM, or even send me an instant message. I don't mind, any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks very much.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Welcome, WisdomSeeker.

This
I should look into religion myself to discover the truth from the inside. Otherwise, what right do I have to criticize,...
is already more wisdom then a lot of people ever find.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Good luck in your search for knowledge. Please always keep in mind that there are many different concepts of what deity is and the nature of it. Try not to judge all concepts by one or a few. This seems to be a downfall of many. They learn about one or two religions (usually the Abrahamic ones) and tend to judge all by their beliefs and doctrines. They think they come off as informed and think they know more than they do and they only come off as ignorant. Congrats to you for even bothering to want to learn. So many don't even bother to try.

Maratreanism

Maratrean Protoprophet
my suggestion: close your eyes, then ask yourself - what religion would i like to believe in? what religion would i want to be true? it doesn't have to be any of the existing ones, it doesn't have to fit in any of the pre-existing categories. if there is something in an existing religion you like, take it; if there is something in an existing religion you don't like, don't take it; if you like stuff in multiple religions, don't be afraid to take the best from each. is there a God/Goddess (or more than one?) - what are they like? let your *heart* run riot for a time, forget about your head for a moment. then write down what this religion believes. then ask yourself: could it be true? what would it take for me to be able to believe/be convinced of this? good luck.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
my suggestion: close your eyes, then ask yourself - what religion would i like to believe in? what religion would i want to be true? it doesn't have to be any of the existing ones, it doesn't have to fit in any of the pre-existing categories. if there is something in an existing religion you like, take it; if there is something in an existing religion you don't like, don't take it; if you like stuff in multiple religions, don't be afraid to take the best from each. is there a God/Goddess (or more than one?) - what are they like? let your *heart* run riot for a time, forget about your head for a moment. then write down what this religion believes. then ask yourself: could it be true? what would it take for me to be able to believe/be convinced of this? good luck.
This seems like a bad place to jump. Any seeker looking to define themselves should first answer the component questions: do I believe in a god/gods? What do I believe about the possibility of surviving death? What do I believe about the nature of reality? What are my valued morals? Etc.

If these match with a current religion, so be it. If they don't the seeker shouldn't feel obligated to alter their beliefs in order to join a group.

I am in a state of religious confusion. I have been an atheist for my whole life nearly. I am 18 years old, and have decided that, while I do admire atheists like Richard Dawkins etc. I should look into religion myself to discover the truth from the inside. Otherwise, what right do I have to criticize, when I am just blindly following myself?
So, if anyone wishes to help me out in my search, please post your advice here, or in a PM, or even send me an instant message. I don't mind, any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks very much.

Hi brother wisdomseeker,

As a very brief view:
Accept all, believe none; become aware and innate knowledge liberally flows.

best regards,
swampy

:yoda: