• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seances?

rocala

Can seances or similar methods make contact with the dead? Are there any religions which accept this?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
There are tons of religions that accept calling upon or honoring the ancestors - it's extremely commonplace in Paganisms, and there are oodles of religions within that overarching term. Seances are specifically a thing that arose within the context of a Christian-dominated culture, though, which generally demonizes practices of spellcraft in general. Personally, I'd call seances a pale substitute for the practices of indigenous/historical Paganisms with shamanistic practices, and "similar" only in the loosest sense of being forms of necromancy... the perchance for fraud and novelty act with seances is not something you'd see in the context of Paganisms. It's unfortunate that the sketchy reputation of seances has tarnished that of the practice as a whole.

rocala

I for one do not have any problems with this. Buddhism accepts that something survives death and that secondly that which survives is not always earthly.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I for one do not have any problems with this. Buddhism accepts that something survives death and that secondly that which survives is not always earthly.
How would I respectfully ask a question about that in the Buddhism forum? I really have a hard time believing that Buddhists believe that. Is there a scripture or something to read about it? Thanks.

rocala

How would I respectfully ask a question about that in the Buddhism forum? I really have a hard time believing that Buddhists believe that. Is there a scripture or something to read about it? Thanks.[/
I first saw this question posed in a Buddhist context some years ago. I cannot recall the forum but I do recall that there were no serious arguments against it. Those who accepted the bardo state or similar were particularly in favour as I recall.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Can seances or similar methods make contact with the dead? Are there any religions which accept this?
In my opinion the dead are not gone; but they are in the past. They are unchangeable. They are safe from change. We can communicate with them but only in the sense that we communicate with other unchangeable objects. We observe, learn new things, and that enables us to ask new questions and make new observations. I guess they are like statues to us, but to them they are still there in the past living their lives. They don't know they are dead. We are the same. We are in someone's past, and we don't know we are dead.

David1967

Premium Member
In my opinion the dead are not gone; but they are in the past. They are unchangeable. They are safe from change. We can communicate with them but only in the sense that we communicate with other unchangeable objects. We observe, learn new things, and that enables us to ask new questions and make new observations. I guess they are like statues to us, but to them they are still there in the past living their lives. They don't know they are dead. We are the same. We are in someone's past, and we don't know we are dead.

Now I'm depressed. :(

rocala

Well if I was not depressed, I am now. None the less Brickjectivity very good post.

buddhist

How would I respectfully ask a question about that in the Buddhism forum? I really have a hard time believing that Buddhists believe that. Is there a scripture or something to read about it? Thanks.
e.g. "Here, student, some man or woman kills living beings and is murderous, bloody-handed, given to blows and violence, merciless to living beings ... on the dissolution of the body, after death, he does not reappear in a state of deprivation, in an unhappy destination, in perdition, in hell, but instead comes back to the human state, then wherever he is reborn he is short-lived ... some man or woman, abandoning the killing of living beings, abstains from killing living beings ... on the dissolution of the body, after death, he reappears in a happy destination, even in the heavenly world. But if on the dissolution of the body, after death, he does not reappear in a happy destination, in the heavenly world, but instead comes back to the human state, then wherever he is reborn he is long-lived ... etc." (Majjhima Nikaya 135)

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
e.g. "Here, student, some man or woman kills living beings and is murderous, bloody-handed, given to blows and violence, merciless to living beings ... on the dissolution of the body, after death, he does not reappear in a state of deprivation, in an unhappy destination, in perdition, in hell, but instead comes back to the human state, then wherever he is reborn he is short-lived ... some man or woman, abandoning the killing of living beings, abstains from killing living beings ... on the dissolution of the body, after death, he reappears in a happy destination, even in the heavenly world. But if on the dissolution of the body, after death, he does not reappear in a happy destination, in the heavenly world, but instead comes back to the human state, then wherever he is reborn he is long-lived ... etc." (Majjhima Nikaya 135)
Thanks for the reference!

David1967

Premium Member
It’s exactly that which can lead people to make up or imagine a less depressing alternative. The fact something might be depressing is no rational reason to assume it isn’t true though.

No, Im not really depressed. I hope you realize
that post was not serious. Here see? :)

Mr. Beebe

What does the Bible say?

"The living know that they shall die, but the dead know not anything...." Ecclesiastes 9:5

"...there is no work or device or knowledge or wisdom in the grave where you are going." Ecclesiastes 9:10

Based on those 2 scriptures, the Bible is clear, the living cannot communicate with the dead.

Seances, crystal balls, palm reading,, tarot cards, leaf deciphering ,astrology, and talking with the dead are not God's way of communicating with people. The Scriptures plainly teach that all who become involved with these practices are an abomination (Deuteronomy 18:12). And even worse, those who continue involvement will be shut out of God's Kingdom (Galatians 5:19-21 ; Revelation 21:8 Revelation 22:14,15).