• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corrupt Border Control

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I would like to hear the U.S. Customs side of the story. It is not that easy to cross accidentally up there the last time that I checked.

The story said that it happened near Vancouver, and doing a cursory scan of Google Maps, it appears there are a few spots it could have happened.

Such as here: Google Maps

The only thing separating the US from Canada is a drainage ditch.

It does seem a bit odd that the moment they crossed over, a whole bunch of official cars suddenly converged on them, as they described in the article. Almost as if they were lying in wait for them to accidentally cross over the border.

I saw a Washington Post article about this (https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...mily-ice-vacation-detention/#comments-wrapper), and one of the commenters suggested that (based on his description of photos of the couple) they could have been detained because they looked like they could be people of color. That was only one person's speculation, but I suppose anything is possible.

The article also mentioned that they were going to allow them to stay with a relative who had US citizenship, but then they said there was a change of plans and continued to be confined. That also seems a bit strange. Why continue to hold them?

On the southern border, there are those being held as they await their asylum claims, but as I understand it, they're free to change their minds and return to their home countries if they wish. They're just not free to move about the US, but if they want to leave the US, that's different and should be allowed.

So, why can't these people leave? Do the authorities believe that they're terrorists or something?

Audie

Veteran Member
The story said that it happened near Vancouver, and doing a cursory scan of Google Maps, it appears there are a few spots it could have happened.

It does seem a bit odd that the moment they crossed over, a whole bunch of official cars suddenly converged on them, as they described in the article. Almost as if they were lying in wait for them to accidentally cross over the border.

I saw a Washington Post article about this (https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...mily-ice-vacation-detention/#comments-wrapper), and one of the commenters suggested that (based on his description of photos of the couple) they could have been detained because they looked like they could be people of color. That was only one person's speculation, but I suppose anything is possible.

The article also mentioned that they were going to allow them to stay with a relative who had US citizenship, but then they said there was a change of plans and continued to be confined. That also seems a bit strange. Why continue to hold them?

On the southern border, there are those being held as they await their asylum claims, but as I understand it, they're free to change their minds and return to their home countries if they wish. They're just not free to move about the US, but if they want to leave the US, that's different and should be allowed.

So, why can't these people leave? Do the authorities believe that they're terrorists or something?

Someone definitely has an inflammatory agenda.

and one of the commenters suggested that (based on his description of photos of the couple) they could have been detained because they looked like they could be people of color

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

I saw that both you and @Augustus found some areas that I was not aware of. Though that still does not quite match the story of the people in the story But I could see driving across that.

PureX

Veteran Member
I would like to hear the U.S. Customs side of the story. It is not that easy to cross accidentally up there the last time that I checked.
It's very easy and it happens all the time at the crossing in Detroit, and the crossing in Buffalo. One wrong turn and you are forced across the bridges over the border and into the customs center. And they won't just let you turn around and go back.

A Vestigial Mote

It does indeed sound like there is probably more to the story. You don't end up a few miles down a strange, unintended road just because you "swerve" not to hit an animal. That part is over-the-top ridiculous.

However, I have seen documentary-style footage - which is basically first-hand witnessing of events - and the behavior of ICE employees does, very much, lead me to conclude that they are informed and given license to be entirely evil. No doubt in my mind. They do disgusting things - pushing people out of doors and locking them so they can't accompany an illegal immigrant into a building AFTER they just told them they could - lying to people to lure them into compromising situations in order to be able to arrest/detain them. Just not the sort of behavior you ever want to see in ANYONE. Unfortunately, in this vein of activity and enforcement, our government (I'm a U.S. citizen) is disgusting.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Not really. We still have only heard one side of the story.

Have you ever heard some of the things that people that are guilty of serious crimes sometimes try to claim in their defense? I am not saying that they definitely are criminals, I am saying that we do not know enough to come to a reliable conclusion yet.

The example of roads given without a fence were not the sort that are described by the family. Those are parallel roads with a drainage ditch in between. If one swerved off the road it would be just as easy to swerve back. That is not what they described at all. If the U.S. did act as described I too will condemn those actions. But it still does not pass the smell test for me.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
"Scumbag Americans"

Do you customarily malign all Americans, most of whom don't agree with current administration, or did you simply misspeak?

the Americans involved are scumbags, end of story.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
A 3000 mile border with Canada. Sure, let's cut the current defense budget in half to pay for a useless wall.

A wall may not be necessary. All they'd have to do is put up portraits and statues of Trump along the border, and that would be enough to scare the Canadians from even getting close to the border.

And they wouldn't be able to use a wall along the Great Lakes border, but they could put in giant sea monsters.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
You want another wall on the Canadian border?

Trump is already cutting the US military to build the wall across the Mexican border.
Actually, as a Canadian, I'm starting to think a wall might not be a bad idea. I just can't think how to make the Americans pay for it. :p