• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scum

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
To me: killing a lion is no different from allowing a lion to kill a gazelle, but I am male. We do not get disgusted as easily by words. I'm sure that were I present I'd find hunting to be dirty, stinky and horrific.

I cannot support a total ban. There was a time when the big game hunter was a hero and a savior. Lions occasionally would get a taste for humans and start hunting us. Sometimes they still do, and when that happens we need a hunter.
Times change - and this type of thing is mainly for 'sport' and where we have progressed somewhat. Hence why the consensus is against whale and dolphin killing now, even though some still practice such, and why we banned stag and fox-hunting in the UK.

This trophy-hunting nonsense is just another relic of past times and so unnecessary - apart from in the inflated egos of those doing the killing. :oops:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
This is morality based upon distaste,
not a threat to oneself as a human.

Ending the "life of another creature"
is the norm, eg, bacon, burgers, leather,
gummies. The only issue is who does
the killing & how.
It really isn't. It is more about change and progress. Not so long ago we had children up chimneys and down mines, but such would be unthinkable in the more civilised countries now. Similarly, we are now acknowledging that so many creatures share attributes with humans such that we can be more empathetic as to the lives they lead. And given that few people actually do need to kill anything in order to live, this sport oriented killing just shows itself for what it is - some guy (or gal) getting off over killing something generally more powerful than themselves, and as to which it could tear them apart quite easily, but them having a rather large advantage - a modern weapon. Well, big deal! :rolleyes:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It really isn't. It is more about change and progress. Not so long ago we had children up chimneys and down mines, but such would be unthinkable in the more civilised countries now. Similarly, we are now acknowledging that so many creatures share attributes with humans such that we can be more empathetic as to the lives they lead. And given that few people actually do need to kill anything in order to live, this sport oriented killing just shows itself for what it is - some guy (or gal) getting off over killing something generally more powerful than themselves, and as to which it could tear them apart quite easily, but them having a rather large advantage - a modern weapon. Well, big deal! :rolleyes:
I've nothing to add.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Times change - and this type of thing is mainly for 'sport' and where we have progressed somewhat. Hence why the consensus is against whale and dolphin killing now, even though some still practice such, and why we banned stag and fox-hunting in the UK.

This trophy-hunting nonsense is just another relic of past times and so unnecessary - apart from in the inflated egos of those doing the killing. :oops:
In the states we have stopped trying to exterminate the wolves. They were nearly exterminated. We have a hunting season to keep bears manageable and deer. It is important to have hunters, here; but we don't try to exterminate species.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
If someone obtains a license to trophy hunt; part of the license should permit that they themselves can be hunted.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Because of the arguments proffered.
All are about how they feel about trophy
hunting, & killing animals in general.

Well, for me, it's not really about "killing animals in general," as that's really a different topic. I was commenting more on the spectacle itself.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
In the states we have stopped trying to exterminate the wolves. They were nearly exterminated. We have a hunting season to keep bears manageable and deer. It is important to have hunters, here; but we don't try to exterminate species.
I'm sure many will understand that controlling populations might be necessary - whatever form that takes - but not the sport aspect.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
To me: killing a lion is no different from allowing a lion to kill a gazelle, but I am male. We do not get disgusted as easily by words. I'm sure that were I present I'd find hunting to be dirty, stinky and horrific.

I cannot support a total ban. There was a time when the big game hunter was a hero and a savior. Lions occasionally would get a taste for humans and start hunting us. Sometimes they still do, and when that happens we need a hunter.
The difference is that lions kill to survive. In trophy hunting, the killing is totally unnecessary.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
******* *******. Or as Ricky Gervais said: What's 16 feet tall and got a **** on its back?

IMG_6880.jpeg

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
There was a time when the big game hunter was a hero and a savior.
I'm glad that's changed and more people acknowledge them for the cowardly wankers they are. What's so heroic or manly ir tough about shooting an animal fron a distance that won't get a chance to defend itself?
Lions occasionally would get a taste for humans and start hunting us. Sometimes they still do, and when that happens we need a hunter.
That is very rare and different from trophy hunting. Yeah, Tsavo had an extreme problem, but it's the very highly unusual nature of that incident that lead to a movie about it.
Trophy hunting is nothing more than bloodlust.