• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scum

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
- https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/british-trophy-hunter-claims-industry-28950824

- Campaign to Ban Trophy Hunting Official Website

12F13772-DCD3-46CE-BAAC-4515E128F4A8.jpeg

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I have never seen the point in killing a member of another species just for entertainment. I eat meat and don't ethically oppose doing so provided certain conditions are met (both for raising and slaughtering animals), but this lion is not going to be eaten. The hunter could have left it alive and never been worse off for it.

With how much destruction of life climate change and human-driven pollution have caused, killing even more animals through hunting for entertainment is among the last things we need.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I never could understand what drives this mentality. What does this actually prove? This guy is posing like he just won the Super Bowl or some other monumental achievement.

Reminds me of Denis Leary's line from Judgment Night: "Guys like you gotta keep checking your pants to see if you got a ****."

Last edited by a moderator:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
While it's not for me, there's no problem with
trophy hunting (IMO) if it's sustainable.
Moreover, in the latest Nat Geo issue, there's
a strong case to be made that farmed game
animals enhance survival of wild animals.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I never could understand what drives this mentality. What does this actually prove? This guy is posing like he just won the Super Bowl or some other monumental achievement.
Some people don't understand what motivates other
people to do what they do. But my not understanding
the appeal of trophy hunting, & my distaste for it don't
make it immoral.
It's like gay sex...why should I prevent others from
doing it just cuz I recoil in horror at the thought, eh.
Same for eating raw oysters.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I have never seen the point in killing a member of another species just for entertainment. I eat meat and don't ethically oppose doing so provided certain conditions are met (both for raising and slaughtering animals), but this lion is not going to be eaten. The hunter could have left it alive and never been worse off for it.

With how much destruction of life climate change and human-driven pollution have caused, killing even more animals through hunting for entertainment is among the last things we need.
It's just another result of evolution.

11 Animals That Kill For No Reason

Humans are not the only animal on this planet that kills for sport. Including lions themselves.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It had better hurry up.

"There are now less than 20,000 lions left in the wild. This includes all different subspecies. And unfortunately, the lion has become extinct in as many as 15 different countries in Africa, making it regionally extinct."

https://tigertribe.net/lion-population-number-of-lions-in-the-world/

20,000 and scum like that think it's ok to shoot them for pleasure.
I agree but it's how evolution works.

Still I think people like that ought to kill in wars as mercs if they want and desire the ultimate life and death challenge.

Like Ukraine.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Some people don't understand what motivates other
people to do what they do. But my not understanding
the appeal of trophy hunting, & my distaste for it don't
make it immoral.
It's like gay sex...why should I prevent others from
doing it just cuz I recoil in horror at the thought, eh.
Same for eating raw oysters.

I think you missed the point. It's not a question of distaste, but I honestly don't know what someone thinks they're proving by using superior tools and technology to kill a defenseless animal. He's posing next to his kill like he thinks he's done something great. I don't care if he wants to have gay sex, though I've never heard of anyone getting any trophies for that. (I suppose there could be, but I just don't know.)

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I think you missed the point. It's not a question of distaste, but I honestly don't know what someone thinks they're proving by using superior tools and technology to kill a defenseless animal. He's posing next to his kill like he thinks he's done something great. I don't care if he wants to have gay sex, though I've never heard of anyone getting any trophies for that. (I suppose there could be, but I just don't know.)
Yes, the point is that intelligent sentient beings at risk of extinction (due mainly to human activities) should not be considered as things to be killed in order to get a photo and presumably a ****-on. "Taste" has nothing to do with it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think you missed the point.
You've given specific reasons why many dislike
trophy hunting, but this is still about distaste.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I think you missed the point.
You've given specific reasons why many dislike
trophy hunting, but this is still about distaste.
I think this is more about morality than distaste, given that many just won't extend their morality (or any morality) to cover non-human life. After all, they would not be doing this to other humans. Many just don't see non-human life as having any rights - to even exist - and therefore they can do this silly kind of thing that ends the life of another creature without them even thinking about what it means. It is just pointless willy-waving. How about them taking on a lion or other large game with a knife?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I think this is more about morality than distaste, given that many just won't extend their morality (or any morality) to cover non-human life. After all, they would not be doing this to other humans. Many just don't see non-human life as having any rights - to even exist - and therefore they can do this silly kind of thing that ends the life of another creature without them even thinking about what it means. It is just pointless willy-waving. How about them taking on a lion or other large game with a knife?
I recall a couple of such manly people being in the news a year or two ago because they had been attacked and killed by the very lions they had been intending to shoot.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
To me: killing a lion is no different from allowing a lion to kill a gazelle, but I am male. We do not get disgusted as easily by words. I'm sure that were I present I'd find hunting to be dirty, stinky and horrific.

I cannot support a total ban. There was a time when the big game hunter was a hero and a savior. Lions occasionally would get a taste for humans and start hunting us. Sometimes they still do, and when that happens we need a hunter.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This is morality based upon distaste,
not a threat to oneself as a human.

Ending the "life of another creature"
is the norm, eg, bacon, burgers, leather,
gummies. The only issue is who does
the killing & how.